Lions Tour - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lions Tour

vanderark14

I used to like the lions concept but it died some time after 1997 for me. Just comes across as a marketing exercise nowadays, but I guess that’s professional sport. Maybe it’s the stark contrast between what I used to see and the bollocks that’s spouted nowadays that jars.

Anyway, with no regard for my hypocrisy whatsoever, I feel I should also mention that I put a fiver on Harris to be in the squad at 7/1. Now 9/4. Heh heh.

On 4/13/2021 at 11:01 PM, Duncan Blackheart said:

I used to like the lions concept but it died some time after 1997 for me. Just comes across as a marketing exercise nowadays, but I guess that’s professional sport. Maybe it’s the stark contrast between what I used to see and the bollocks that’s spouted nowadays that jars.

Anyway, with no regard for my hypocrisy whatsoever, I feel I should also mention that I put a fiver on Harris to be in the squad at 7/1. Now 9/4. Heh heh.

Agreed,  I've often said they will eventually be called the Sky Lions. 

• 3 weeks later...

British & Irish Lions squad 2021

A squad of 37 is named for the tour to South Africa as follows:

Backs: Josh Adams, Bundee Aki, Dan Biggar, Elliot Daly, Gareth Davies, Owen Farrell, Chris Harris, Robbie Henshaw, Stuart Hogg, Conor Murray, Ali Price, Lewis Rees-Zammit, Finn Russell, Duhan van der Merwe, Anthony Watson, Liam Williams.

Forwards: Tadhg Beirne, Jack Conan, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Tom Curry, Zander Fagerson, Taulupe Faletau, Tadhg Furlong, Jamie George, Iain Henderson, Jonny Hill, Maro Itoje, Alun Wyn Jones (capt.), Wyn Jones, Courtney Lawes, Ken Owens, Andrew Porter, Sam Simmonds, Rory Sutherland, Justin Tipuric, Mako Vunipola, Hamish Watson.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I think Hogg will start the matches against SA with Russell maybe coming off the bench. 

The rest will make up the numbers

Don’t know about that. I think there’s a lot of places open tbh, and a lot of it depends on how he wants to play. It looks like a squad that’s picked to move the books around a lot, all of the forwards are mobile and it seems mobility has counted in close calls for selection. They’ll kick from 9,10,12,15, and given the kicking masterclass from Russell and Hogg at Twickenham and in Paris, Russell is in with a shot to start if he demonstrates consistency in tour matches. Watson has a genuine shot at open side and the LH prop slot is anyone’s. Gatland also likes a big winger, and VdM was his only option in that role. Harris has a real chance at outside centre as well given Tandy’s defensive system and the small number of centres taken.

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I think Hogg will start the matches against SA with Russell maybe coming off the bench. 

The rest will make up the numbers

I would think Watson is a shoe in for a test start.

4 hours ago, biffer said:

Don’t know about that. I think there’s a lot of places open tbh, and a lot of it depends on how he wants to play. It looks like a squad that’s picked to move the books around a lot, all of the forwards are mobile and it seems mobility has counted in close calls for selection. They’ll kick from 9,10,12,15, and given the kicking masterclass from Russell and Hogg at Twickenham and in Paris, Russell is in with a shot to start if he demonstrates consistency in tour matches. Watson has a genuine shot at open side and the LH prop slot is anyone’s. Gatland also likes a big winger, and VdM was his only option in that role. Harris has a real chance at outside centre as well given Tandy’s defensive system and the small number of centres taken.

23 minutes ago, bonzo said:

I would think Watson is a shoe in for a test start.

I am maybe being too pessimistic and I agree with the arguments for our players to start but it whether Gatland agrees.

On 4/13/2021 at 11:01 PM, Duncan Blackheart said:

I feel like mentioning this again! 

Can see Biggar and probably Gareth Davies starting the first test, replaced by Russell in the last 25-20, and price in the last 15.

Good vibes for Sutherland if fit.

Also pleased so many made it as it frees up more spaces for lads to develop in the summer tour.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Imagine paying £150 for this non event at Murrayfield! :o

I didn't bother watching it.

I'll wait till the proper tests, even then it will depend on whether there are scots in the team.

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Looked like the strength of the Lions' bench made the difference. 

Definitely, and in the 2nd half South Africa couldn't cope with the high ball.