Greatest player ever.. (Your club)🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Greatest player ever.. (Your club)🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

So, who is the greatest player you have seen play for your club? This is open to everyone on this board. It's not just about Scottish Premier clubs, it's any club in Scotland over time. Raith, Stenhousmuir, Elgin, Hearts, Hibs, Forfar, Celtic, Annan, Berwick, rangers, Clyde, Aberdeen, whomever you support, who would you say was the best? For me its memorable. I had the pleasure of watching Jimmy Johnstone play live in the early 70s, so for me, Jinky was the best Celtic player of all time. I was watching some old Scottish football videos on You Tube last night, so it got me thinking about great Scottish players over time, who may never have played for Scotland, but were legends with their own club, regardless of what division they played in... So who was yours? 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Agree about Jinky Ramy.  I was speaking at a dinner in Aviemore once and two guests were Tommy Gemmell and Willie Henderson.  I did a couple of speeches and had to do the after dinner thanks to them.  I asked Tommy Gemmell about the best player.  He said Jim Baxter on his day.  But Rangers couldn't rely on him week in week out but Celtic could rely on the same performance from Jinky every week.  I never seen the two of them.  My favourite player is Cooper.  But I hate to say as a Scotsman the best I watched live was Gascoigne.  

11 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Agree about Jinky Ramy.  I was speaking at a dinner in Aviemore once and two guests were Tommy Gemmell and Willie Henderson.  I did a couple of speeches and had to do the after dinner thanks to them.  I asked Tommy Gemmell about the best player.  He said Jim Baxter on his day.  But Rangers couldn't rely on him week in week out but Celtic could rely on the same performance from Jinky every week.  I never seen the two of them.  My favourite player is Cooper.  But I hate to say as a Scotsman the best I watched live was Gascoigne.  

Alex Ferguson stated that Gascoigne was the best English player since Bobby Charlton.

1 hour ago, Jim Beem said:

Dave Narey. At his peak you could have dropped him in to any team in the world, club or country, and he would have strolled it. 

Honest, just checkin in now. Was Naray not the lad that scored that belter against Brazil in 82 world cup? Some fuckin goal btw. Alan Rough in the goal, the rest is history..😥

4 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Dave Narey. At his peak you could have dropped him in to any team in the world, club or country, and he would have strolled it. 

Everybody who played with Narey will say the exact same thing. 

For me though, Paul Sturrock. Socks doon, shirt outside the shorts, No.10 🙌🏼

8 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Dave Narey. 

7 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Was Narey not the lad that scored that belter against Brazil in 82 world cup? Some fuckin goal btw. 

I was in Seville that night. 👍

6 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Willie Miller

6 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Hard as nails.. 

Aye, but he was no Doog Rougvie.

4 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

Laudrup, Gascoigne, Goram, Gough, McCoist are the ones that spring immediately to mind. 

The only Scottish born one was both Rangers' and Sevco's worst ever manager. Some feat.

4 hours ago, dandydunn said:

I never seen WM play 🤪

Fortunate enough to see him lift every domestic trophy and the ECWC. :)

I remember that game Scotty, watched it with ma Dad, God rest his soul.. When Narey scored, ma Da went pure mental.  Aye, Willie Millar and Souness in that game, tackling fuck out the Brazilians until Zico had the free kick.. The rest is history...

15 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Everybody who played with Narey will say the exact same thing. 

For me though, Paul Sturrock. Socks doon, shirt outside the shorts, No.10 🙌🏼

I'd say Sturrock is more of a favourite ever player rather than greatest ever player. Spoilt for choice back then 👌