Sky TV/internet - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Does anyone have a Sky package with phone, internet and tv? Ive stepped in to help my mum manage finances and utilities as she's now 88 and struggling a wee bit. I was shocked to discover she's paying Sky 148 pounds a month! She does have Sports and Movies which she never uses so they'll be getting switched off, but I'm struggling to see a Sky package that costs this much? Will be phoning them but hoping someone might have experienced this before and could advise? Even if someone is paying a similar amount, what are you getting for your money? 

Thanks in advance.

Give them a call and see what they’re saying is the best advice. 

I call up every year and tell them I’m cancelling, they soon want you to stay (99%) of the time amd will offer deals. 

Couole of years ago, I got it down to £49 a month for 6 months and once sky q was added, it slowly snuck back up to about £110 a month. 

A call was made and were currently on it for £78, which is full package, HD, Netflix and an extra sky q box. 

Worth shopping around for broadband too, I was paying BT £49 for that and I’m now of Vodafone full fibre for £26 with ridiculous speeds in the house now. 

44 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Give them a call and see what they’re saying is the best advice. 

I call up every year and tell them I’m cancelling, they soon want you to stay (99%) of the time amd will offer deals. 

Couole of years ago, I got it down to £49 a month for 6 months and once sky q was added, it slowly snuck back up to about £110 a month. 

A call was made and were currently on it for £78, which is full package, HD, Netflix and an extra sky q box. 

Worth shopping around for broadband too, I was paying BT £49 for that and I’m now of Vodafone full fibre for £26 with ridiculous speeds in the house now. 

Agree with this,shop around for broadband and check what she actually watches to see if she'd be better off with free view or maybe something like netflix 

I have the bare minium with sky now. The final straw was increasing prices in the middle of lockdown not just for entertainment channels but movies and sports. There's been hardly any movies made and sport has been pish with no crowds, especially football. 

Might need to speak to your mum as to what she watches from Sky but £148 is a hellava bill. I shop around, currently with BT fibre £23 per month, also got iptv plus latest movies at around £100 per year with around 95 % viewing good, obviously not as good as Sky but savings are good, if your mum is even a wee bit tech savvy with a firestick £100 per year might suit her.

Thanks to you all. It's now down to 44 quid a month, cutting out all the stuff she doesn't need 👍. The interesting bit is the 15 quid a month for multiroom she's been paying for the last 4 years. With one telly in the house and no mini box ever ordered or delivered. Fucking bandits. £720 pound refund, please.

11 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Thanks to you all. It's now down to 44 quid a month, cutting out all the stuff she doesn't need 👍. The interesting bit is the 15 quid a month for multiroom she's been paying for the last 4 years. With one telly in the house and no mini box ever ordered or delivered. Fucking bandits. £720 pound refund, please.

That is bloody ridiculous. Glad you got it sorted, you have to wonder how many elderly people are paying outrageous prices for things they dont need. Many of them wont have families to help either.

3 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

They've offered me 60 quid.

Here’s the email for the chief executive of sky it’s a Jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com fire of a strongly worded email and someone from sky’s executive office will get in touch let me know how you get on 

On 4/8/2021 at 10:39 AM, killiefaetheferry said:

Does anyone have a Sky package with phone, internet and tv? Ive stepped in to help my mum manage finances and utilities as she's now 88 and struggling a wee bit. I was shocked to discover she's paying Sky 148 pounds a month! She does have Sports and Movies which she never uses so they'll be getting switched off, but I'm struggling to see a Sky package that costs this much? Will be phoning them but hoping someone might have experienced this before and could advise? Even if someone is paying a similar amount, what are you getting for your money? 

Thanks in advance.

I was paying £130 with virgin at 1 point n realised I was getting well ripped off get her a firestick n find someone who can get her all the channels through the Internet obviously you need to know someone from work  who can download the full package onto your firestick it costs me £40 for a year its illegal but what they done to your mother is also illegal on moral grounds