Belfast - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I said on here a while back, that we better get independence before NI is reunited with RoI, the last thing we need is these cunts coming over to Glasgow or Ayrshire. 

There’s plenty of videos and stuff on Twitter, a small minority of NI are absolute utter scum. 

26 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I said on here a while back, that we better get independence before NI is reunited with RoI, the last thing we need is these cunts coming over to Glasgow or Ayrshire. 

There’s plenty of videos and stuff on Twitter, a small minority of NI are absolute utter scum. 

We'd see similar here but on a smaller scale. A small section of society would go ape shit when independence is won. 

One question I always had is, would ROI want the North now? Just imagine the violence from loyalists if a united ireland happened.

Leadership is about leading - the leadership of unionism is frankly a godsend , Foster Paisley , Wilson , Aiken , Alistair , Dodds, Donaldson  - all scrambling around trying to distract from Brexit  - you could write a better script comedy gold completely inept 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

One question I always had is, would ROI want the North now? Just imagine the violence from loyalists if a united ireland happened.

Yes, the majority in the republic would vote for it (all the polling backs this up)

4 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Yes, the majority in the republic would vote for it (all the polling backs this up)

As much as I'd like to see it,it's a real risk. Some unionists won't accept unification and it would likely see return of extreme violence. How would the ROI reassure the unionists they have a place in a united Ireland? 

45 minutes ago, Lamia said:

No it is all too do with a funeral!

It has close to xxxx all to do with a funeral that took place months ago - it is distraction politics to avoid the elephant in the room when they thought they were getting a hard border on the island ( ahh back to the good oul  days) but ended up with a sea border and a few more forms to fill in ( which I might add the rest of the island has had to adapt because of England’s decision so the rump of loyalism can suck it the xxxx up especially with the influence they had at Westminster 

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

How would the ROI reassure the unionists they have a place in a united Ireland? 

The religious bigots would have to suck it up and try to move into the 19th century, or they would leave Ireland in droves, hence why we better go first. 

It’s certainly a hell of a lot more nuanced than a picture I’d paint, but the loyalists, unionists or whatever grouping you’d give them, seem to thrive on hatred and bigotry. 

A reunited Ireland doesn’t deserve them, but neither do we. 

3 minutes ago, kumnio said:

The religious bigots would have to suck it up and try to move into the 19th century, or they would leave Ireland in droves, hence why we better go first. 

It’s certainly a hell of a lot more nuanced than a picture I’d paint, but the loyalists, unionists or whatever grouping you’d give them, seem to thrive on hatred and bigotry. 

Just a thought (don’t tell Boris). Perhaps the Brits could let Northern Ireland go sooner rather than later. It’s gonna happen sometime. Just cut their losses. Then when the bigoted scum drift over here, they’ll all vote No to independence and then at least the establishment gets to keep its most productive cash cow and we can all suck it up, continue to bow, scrape and grovel for another 300 years. Boris gets his place in history. Okay he lost NI but he has tied up northern Britain for all eternity. God save... etc etc. 😢

1 hour ago, duncan II said:

Just a thought (don’t tell Boris). Perhaps the Brits could let Northern Ireland go sooner rather than later. It’s gonna happen sometime. Just cut their losses. Then when the bigoted scum drift over here, they’ll all vote No to independence and then at least the establishment gets to keep its most productive cash cow and we can all suck it up, continue to bow, scrape and grovel for another 300 years. Boris gets his place in history. Okay he lost NI but he has tied up northern Britain for all eternity. God save... etc etc. 😢

That’s kinda been my fear for the last 5 years. 

The whole thing is really quite sad - in both senses of the word.  These people have rioted for days apparently over loyalty to a political union that doesn't give a single, solitary flying fuck about them or the place they inhabit.

2 hours ago, duncan II said:

The only real reason Northern Ireland is a thing in the first place is because a hundred years ago it was the most profitable part of the island of Ireland and the British government didn't want to "lose" it.

Nowadays it is apparently a fiscal net drain on the UK and apart from losing a bit of face, I can't see why the UK government would be all that bothered about it joining back up with the rest of Ireland.

Scotland, on the other hand, is useful to them in a practical sense. It has things they can sell, it has things that they need, and it has enough room to stash things they don't really want (or they don't want cluttering the place up down south, where it counts, anyway).  It is certainly a lot more difficult to "do" Brexit successfully without Scotland.

6 hours ago, kumnio said:

Some here in Ireland would argue that we should take them, as most of their ancestors emigrated from Scotland in the first place.

Just dump them all in Kilmarnock and build a big wall round the town.

10 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Some here in Ireland would argue that we should take them, as most of their ancestors emigrated from Scotland in the first place.

Just dump them all in Kilmarnock and build a big wall round the town.

But who would guard Killies walls?

Ironic, that Ireland was seen as a 'backwater' in the ol' days and you could tell if you had left NI and entered Ireland by the (free) state of the roads. 

Fast forward a few years, and Ireland is -for some of its faults e.g far too neo-liberal, IMO - but a much modern and progessive thinking state than Northern Ireland by a country mile. 

Scotlad sums it up well in they are protesting for a Union that doesn't give two fecks for them. It must really baffle Unionists when they come to 'the mainland' and everyone who speaks to them barring a few at Ibrox or Douglas Ross, most just see them as Irish. Boris Johnson's PA or whoever runs his Twitter site only put out a Tweet about this last night and was basically the Father Ted down with this, careful now.

And for the ones who will jump ship, how much of that is all talk? No doubt some will ; but most of these people won't have the time, finance, or effort to up sticks and move to a different country or 'across the water,' You've got folk here in Scotland saying the same about independence or the SNP even taking power. They are all here, and they'll all still be if we do become independent barring a wealthy, elite few who may well be able to run off.

At the end of the day, The DUP do need to take the flak for all this. They voted and encouraged this. They were warned by everyone that the Tories would eventually feck them over, heck even Lord Carson said it best a decade ago "What a fool I was! I was only a puppet, and so was Ulster, and so was Ireland, in the political game that was to get the Conservative Party into Power."

26 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

most of these people won't have the time, finance, or effort to up sticks and move to a different country or 'across the water,' You've got folk here in Scotland saying the same about independence or the SNP even taking power. They are all here, and they'll all still be if we do become independent barring a wealthy, elite few who may well be able to run off.

At the end of the day, The DUP do need to take the flak for all this. They voted and encouraged this. They were warned by everyone that the Tories would eventually feck them over, heck even Lord Carson said it best a decade ago "What a fool I was! I was only a puppet, and so was Ulster, and so was Ireland, in the political game that was to get the Conservative Party into Power."

Not so sure about that. Can't see many accepting Dublin rule. 

Edited by Och Aye

2 minutes ago, Och Aye said:

Not so sure about that. Can't see many accepting Dublin rule. 

An United Ireland will look different to what Sinn Fein are dreaming of. Wouldn't be surprised if things like Stormont, NI football team etc would even stay.

The Unionists might always end up in power too as a junior coalition partner or like the DUP/Tory deal too. So a united Ireland would serve the likes of Mike Nesbitt etc very well.

43 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Actually, Kilwinning would be better given the gaelic name.

Could turn it into an Orange theme park for them.

Screenshot (6).png

The mother orange lodge of Scotland is in Kilwinning.

LOL  number 0.

How can you have number zero?