The lack of understanding amongst fans is the problem - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The lack of understanding amongst fans is the problem

duncan II

There seems to be popular opinions floating about on a couple of issues that I think miss the point.

Tierney should play in midfield cos he’s our best player. This is mental. He is so effective because he’s coming from deep. Yes, he’s a brilliant left back, but he’s also really effective, quite unique even, as a marauding LCB, especially against weaker teams. He would lose much in midfield in my opinion.

McGregor doesn’t ping goals in from 40 yards or so flashy stuff so should be dropped. This, in my opinion, is totally failing to understand his role. He recycles the ball and feeds those around them, he is also our best option for retaining possession, so important at this level. He also intercepts balls quite a lot. Anyway, regardless of my opinion, I really don’t see Clarke dropping him. Most people’s teams on here seem to exclude him but this is unrealistic. Clarke will play him. 

5 hours ago, duncan II said:

There seems to be popular opinions floating about on a couple of issues that I think miss the point.

Tierney should play in midfield cos he’s our best player. This is mental. He is so effective because he’s coming from deep. Yes, he’s a brilliant left back, but he’s also really effective, quite unique even, as a marauding LCB, especially against weaker teams. He would lose much in midfield in my opinion.

McGregor doesn’t ping goals in from 40 yards or so flashy stuff so should be dropped. This, in my opinion, is totally failing to understand his role. He recycles the ball and feeds those around them, he is also our best option for retaining possession, so important at this level. He also intercepts balls quite a lot. Anyway, regardless of my opinion, I really don’t see Clarke dropping him. Most people’s teams on here seem to exclude him but this is unrealistic. Clarke will play him. 

Very good post. Especially the part about Tierney. People think that a creative player will always be more dangerous playing further forward but this is often not the case. Scholes and Lampard were both tried further forward due to theor goals but found out very quickly that their threat came from ghosting into positions.

I also agree regarding McGreggor, he makes alot of interceptions, shows for the ball and keeps it moving. Where I think both McGreggor, Fleck and McLean are limited (compared to top level) is that they move the ball too slowly. Top midfielders do the easy passes but they see the picture before recieving the ball and then fire it to where its going. McTom being a prime example. At the top level and when trying to break teams down these lost 2 or 3 seconds make a huge difference.

12 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Very good post. Especially the part about Tierney. People think that a creative player will always be more dangerous playing further forward but this is often not the case. Scholes and Lampard were both tried further forward due to theor goals but found out very quickly that their threat came from ghosting into positions.

I also agree regarding McGreggor, he makes alot of interceptions, shows for the ball and keeps it moving. Where I think both McGreggor, Fleck and McLean are limited (compared to top level) is that they move the ball too slowly. Top midfielders do the easy passes but they see the picture before recieving the ball and then fire it to where its going. McTom being a prime example. At the top level and when trying to break teams down these lost 2 or 3 seconds make a huge difference.

I would agree with that, although when McGregor intercepts a pass he has a tendency to lose control and give it away again. But I rate him higher than a lot of people on here do. 

I don't think the problems we had against Austria or Israel are hard to fix. When we defend the midfield and wingbacks go too deep and narrow. If they push up 10 yards and out wide this would stop the opposition having it easy when they have the ball. They also need to work out who is marking who when teams do get behind us as we seem to follow the ball and the runner leaving to much space around the edge of the box. I still think this came from the manager as he seems to be the one who was happy with 2 draws. 

Excellent post, there are some right eejits on this board who have probably never kicked a baw in their life and have no clue about how football actually works.

My one gripe with our current midfield is the tendency to just play an easy pass instead of forcing the play by beating their man, at the right time of course, and carrying the game forward.