The midfield Is the problem - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The midfield Is the problem

Taylor1996

The tactics are the problem, not the individual midfielders. 

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t really rate McGregor but McTominay who I do rate, looked lost against Israel and parts of the Austria game. 

McGinn was also completely ineffective against Israel. 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

Guest Scot1
9 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The tactics are the problem, not the individual midfielders. 

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t really rate McGregor but McTominay who I do rate, looked lost against Israel and parts of the Austria game. 

McGinn was also completely ineffective against Israel. 

I agree, against decent teams we cannot afford to only have effectively 2 central midfielders with McGinn sitting just behind the forwards. We need to start with a flat 3 in the middle of the park and work it through the opposition to allow McGinn to break forward with late runs into the opposition box from a flat 3.

I do however think the personnel is also a problem in midfield, especially when we are without possession. 

Edited by Scot1

25 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I agree, against decent teams we cannot afford to only have effectively 2 central midfielders with McGinn sitting just behind the forwards. We need to start with a flat 3 in the middle of the park and work it through the opposition to allow McGinn to break forward with late runs into the opposition box from a flat 3.

I do however think the personnel is also a problem in midfield, especially when we are without possession. 

I agree. Fitting two of McGinn, Fraser and Christie into the team is a problem.  If McGinn has to be shunted further forward to play off the striker, there’s probably no place for either of the other two in a 3-5-2 (against the big guns). 

We could play a 4-4-2 with McTominay at right back... 

Marshall

McTominay         Robertson

Hanley      McKenna

Gilmour 

Jack       Tierney      

McGinn 

Adams Fraser

Edited by er yir macaroon

Guest Scot1
6 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I agree. Fitting two of McGinn, Fraser and Christie into the team is a problem.  If McGinn has to be shunted further forward to play off the striker, there’s probably no place for either of the other two in a 3-5-2 (against the big guns). 

The good thing is we now have good competition and options for most positions now. The squad is getting stronger and we can now choose between a number of players dependent on form or opposition 

Guest Scot1
23 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

We could play a 4-4-2 with McTominay at right back... 

Marshall

McTominay         Robertson

Hanley      McKenna

Gilmour 

Jack       Tierney      

McGinn 

Adams Fraser

At some point in the future it would be beneficial if we could switch to a back 4, if we can find a decent centre halve partnership. Perhaps something like  

Paterson Hendry McKenna Robertson 

It would allow us to play more of our players in midfield and up front. personally I’d favour a 4-3-3

perhaps a midfield 3 of

McTominay Gilmour Tierney

up front

Turnbull Adams McGinn

or 

Fraser Dykes McGinn

various configurations would be possible if we can eventually go to a back 4

Edited by Scot1

For me it was more down to the collective unit not being able to play the formation particularly well synergistically rather than a failing of a single part.  The midfield were chasing shadows vs Israel in particular because the gap from front to back was too wide.  We need to condense the pitch particularly if we go 3-4-3 – watching Chelsea you could almost chuck a blanket over them at some points and restrict the space between the lines whereas Israel in particular were dropping into acres of space almost anywhere on the pitch. 

11 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

For me it was more down to the collective unit not being able to play the formation particularly well synergistically rather than a failing of a single part.  The midfield were chasing shadows vs Israel in particular because the gap from front to back was too wide.  We need to condense the pitch particularly if we go 3-4-3 – watching Chelsea you could almost chuck a blanket over them at some points and restrict the space between the lines whereas Israel in particular were dropping into acres of space almost anywhere on the pitch. 

Pretty sure chasing shadows is the wrong term. Running from shadows, watching shadows or sitting in the shade would sum us up better.