Play Off Picture - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

6 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Seeding

1 A Portugal 6 5 1 0 16 4 +12 16 Seeded in semi-final draw

2 C Switzerland 6 4 2 0 10 1 +9 14

3 F Scotland 7 4 2 1 12 7 +5 14

4 B Spain 6 4 1 1 13 5 +8 13

5 I Poland 6 3 2 1 13 7 +6 11

6 H Croatia 6 3 2 1 9 3 +6 11

7 E Czech Republic 7 3 2 2 12 9 +3 11 Unseeded in semi-final draw

8 G Norway 6 3 2 1 7 5 +2 11

9 J Romania 7 3 1 3 9 8 +1 10

10 D Ukraine 7 1 6 0 9 8 +1 9

Looking at that it does seem like we will probably need something from the Denmark game to be seeded.

Well on that list I think its safe to say we won't finish above Portugal and Switzerland who have two games to play that will count to seeding whereas we have one. Spain will finish above us as will Poland and Croation most probably (unless Poland have to play England away). The Czechs maybe will not finish above us and From the rest only Norway probably will unless we can manage a win V Denmark.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Seeding

1 A Portugal 6 5 1 0 16 4 +12 16 Seeded in semi-final draw

2 C Switzerland 6 4 2 0 10 1 +9 14

3 F Scotland 7 4 2 1 12 7 +5 14

4 B Spain 6 4 1 1 13 5 +8 13

5 I Poland 6 3 2 1 13 7 +6 11

6 H Croatia 6 3 2 1 9 3 +6 11

7 E Czech Republic 7 3 2 2 12 9 +3 11 Unseeded in semi-final draw

8 G Norway 6 3 2 1 7 5 +2 11

9 J Romania 7 3 1 3 9 8 +1 10

10 D Ukraine 7 1 6 0 9 8 +1 9

Looking at that it does seem like we will probably need something from the Denmark game to be seeded.

#wales are on the same points as Czech Republic but have a game in hand.

I fancy this team to get a draw at home vs Denmark

There are a few games where 1st and 2nd placed Teams still have to play each other in remaining fixtures, looking at games left to play this is how I think the groups and  2nd placed Teams will be……. 

Group.A  Serbia 17/18 pts 

Group.B  Sweden 18 pts 

Group.C  Switzerland 17 pts 

Group.D  Bosnia 11 pts 

Group.E  Czech Republic 14 pts  

Group.F  Scotland 14 / 15 / 17 pts ??? 

Group.G  Turkey 15 pts 

Group.H  Russia 16 pts 

Group.I  Poland 17 pts 

Group.J  Romania 13 pts 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well on that list I think its safe to say we won't finish above Portugal and Switzerland who have two games to play that will count to seeding whereas we have one. Spain will finish above us as will Poland and Croation most probably (unless Poland have to play England away). The Czechs maybe will not finish above us and From the rest only Norway probably will unless we can manage a win V Denmark.

Poland have Andorra and Hungary to play so will likely end up with at least 14 points and a superior GD.

If Spain win their last 2 games they'll top their group and be replaced by Sweden. Which for our play off chances I hope happens.

I fancy Portugal to beat Serbia to top of their group, the Serbs are guaranteed a seeding though.

The Czechs may well get edged out by Wales and take up one of the non seeded Nations League slots.

Good to get the six points on the board and keep it in our own hands. My only concern is we still seem to lack a coherent plan on playing lower ranked teams we're looking to beat.  

Good teams make their own luck and we are hopefully building something but we could easily have come out of these games with 0-4 points. As well as we played second half vs Israel we very nearly criminally handed them the lead for the third time and the Faroese are probably kicking themselves as they must have fancied an upset deep into second half 

I am slightly concerned at the way the  Faroes were carving us up at times. How they did not score is extraordinary. I'd be feeling a bit robbed if I was one of their fans. The early chance especially, when their player right in front of goal with us in utter disarray passed it instead of just putting his foot through it, was a huge let off.  There were another two hair-raising chances at least in the first half that on another night would have been goals. We were lucky as fuck in that first half and at times in the second as well.

edit Gordon played very well also, saved us.

I am not sure what I think about how we will do in Moldova now. (shudder)

I still felt Faroes were dangerous after 80 minutes at 0-0. If they had got the late goal and not us we would be sitting on our 'worst result ever'. That was not a comfortable 0-1 victory by any means. Clinging on by our fingernails 0-1 victory more like.

Edited by thplinth

6 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I am slightly concerned at the way the  Faroes were carving us up at times. How they did not score is extraordinary. I'd be feeling a bit robbed if I was one of their fans. The early chance especially, when their player right in front of goal with us in utter disarray passed it instead of just putting his foot through it, was a huge let off.  There were another two hair-raising chances at least in the first half that on another night would have been goals. We were lucky as fuck in that first half and at times in the second as well.

I still felt Faroes were dangerous after 80 minutes at 0-0. If they had got the late goal and not us we would be sitting on our 'worst result ever'. That was not a comfortable 0-1 victory by any means. Clinging on by our fingernails 0-1 victory more like.

Saw on SSN last night Moldova got a consolation goal at 94 minutes and were down to ten men. They grabbed the ball and all sprinted back to the centre circle to go for an equalizer-sent the absolute fear through me as they're obviously not for rolling over and having their tummy tickled 

1 minute ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Saw on SSN last night Moldova got a consolation goal at 94 minutes and were down to ten men. They grabbed the ball and all sprinted back to the centre circle to go for an equalizer-sent the absolute fear through me as they're obviously not for rolling over and having their tummy tickled 

They will fancy their chances against us for sure. They like everyone else know we often fail to show up at these type of games. 

We are a bit of a schizophrenic side in that against the better teams we play quite well and against the lesser teams we play quite shite. Who are we? 😀

We are sort of like the footballing equivalent of Dr Jekyll and Mr Pish. Just depends on whether Steve Clarke has imbued his magic potion or not. 😀 

Although honestly it seems to be the whole team as well. Maybe it is time we got a shit-hot sports psychologist in to sort this crap out. Hypno-toad them into thinking they are Maradona or something. It is maddening watching it swing from one game to the next. 

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Poland have Andorra and Hungary to play so will likely end up with at least 14 points and a superior GD.

If Spain win their last 2 games they'll top their group and be replaced by Sweden. Which for our play off chances I hope happens.

I fancy Portugal to beat Serbia to top of their group, the Serbs are guaranteed a seeding though.

The Czechs may well get edged out by Wales and take up one of the non seeded Nations League slots.

Being a seed is probably all about avoiding the one maybe more than one big name that has fallen into the play offs . Italy/Spain/Portugal .

However we could be a seed and end up with Czech Republic again.

We could be non- seeded and end up with Serbia away again we would live with that but they would be difficult with a full house behind them this time 

Edited by DAVIDB46

2 minutes ago, broraboy said:

Win our last 2 games and we’ll be seeded 

Take 4 points from last 2 games and we’ll be seeded !! 
Sounds easy but that’s about the gist of it….. 

We'll also be seeded if we only take 3 points as long as they're off of Denmark 😁

3 hours ago, thplinth said:

edit Gordon played very well also, saved us.

The Faroes aren’t any worse than Georgia these days and are better than Kazakhstan so it wouldn’t really have been our worst result ever. Remember what happened the last time we played in Kazakhstan? 

The Faroes are a pot 5 team at the moment so they are nowhere near as bad as they used to be.

I would also disagree that we were clinging on. The Faroes got nowhere near our goal after we scored. 

Not that I’m saying it was a good performance by us by any means but I think a bit of perspective is needed. 

In the cold light of day, looking back at the game we weren’t that bad in the second half and we should have scored at least 3. If we had won that game 0-3 then the awful first half would be easier to forget. 

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The Faroes aren’t any worse than Georgia these days and are better than Kazakhstan so it wouldn’t really have been our worst result ever. Remember what happened the last time we played in Kazakhstan? 

The Faroes are a pot 5 team at the moment so they are nowhere near as bad as they used to be.

I would also disagree that we were clinging on. The Faroes got nowhere near our goal after we scored. 

Not that I’m saying it was a good performance by us by any means but I think a bit of perspective is needed. 

In the cold light of day, looking back at the game we weren’t that bad in the second half and we should have scored at least 3. If we had won that game 0-3 then the awful first half would be easier to forget. 

You're absolutely right. And once that first goal went in, I think we might have gone on to score more. However, protecting that goal and hanging about the corner flag was absolutely the right thing to do, if not pleasant to watch.

I think we're all long enough in the tooth to appreciate a hard thought 1-0 victory. The Israel game was the exciting entertainment. The Faroes game was the points mop up.

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

They will fancy their chances against us for sure. They like everyone else know we often fail to show up at these type of games. 

We are a bit of a schizophrenic side in that against the better teams we play quite well and against the lesser teams we play quite shite. Who are we? 😀

We are sort of like the footballing equivalent of Dr Jekyll and Mr Pish. Just depends on whether Steve Clarke has imbued his magic potion or not. 😀 

Although honestly it seems to be the whole team as well. Maybe it is time we got a shit-hot sports psychologist in to sort this crap out. Hypno-toad them into thinking they are Maradona or something. It is maddening watching it swing from one game to the next. 

We are obviously performing better in general by getting to a major tourney and giving ourselves a great chance of getting to another. To use some well-worn phrases we can't take anything for granted and there are no easy games etc, etc. 

In so many of our recent games though we have gone behind and/or let the opposition dictate play early on which then means we have had to pull out all the stops to get back into the game. It's good to have that attribute but it's not really sustainable. Against Moldova we did start well but then seemed to take our foot off the gas a  bit and then leave ourselves a difficult final 10 minutes where the good initial work could have come undone.

Austria away is probably the best recent performance we've had against a higher ranked team so we just need to repeat that type of performance more often, somehow....

6 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I was just looking back and last time we finished second in a qualifying group was for Euro 2004. Slim pickings indeed. For all the struggle of the Faroes game, this campaign represents indisputable progress

We haven't got second place yet. 😉

You've just jinxed us. 😂

I can see how this is going to end. After a narrow loss to Denmark we will be sitting in 6th place in the playoff rankings on GD. All we will be waiting for is one result to go out way. We will be needing Belgium to beat Wales in Cardiff the following night. What could go wrong?

56 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I can see how this is going to end. After a narrow loss to Denmark we will be sitting in 6th place in the playoff rankings on GD. All we will be waiting for is one result to go out way. We will be needing Belgium to beat Wales in Cardiff the following night. What could go wrong?

To be fair that sounds pretty good compared to our last 8 qualifying campaigns. 

Whatever happens it is a chance to gauge our progressshould we make the play-offs (seeded or unseeded).

We will get drawn against a team (likely a team originally from pot 2). These are the teams we need to be getting results against in future campaigns to be in with a chance of qualifying. We are currently a pot three team so we are punching above our weight and improving. If we can force our way into pot two our chances of qualifying improve.