Play Off Picture - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture


Toepoke
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, borojock said:

do we have any players suspended for Tuesday or is it a full squad to choose from? 

I think everyone is available. There was the yellow card for Dykes which would’ve meant he was suspended but that’s been rescinded 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I think everyone is available. There was the yellow card for Dykes which would’ve meant he was suspended but that’s been rescinded 

I don't think Adams will be fit he looked like he went off with an injury yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised to see two or three changes as a lot of players ran themselves into the ground in search of the winner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we're going to have to win both games against the Faroes and Moldova because unless Austria manage to beat Denmark, they will be unable to reach second if we have beaten the Faroes.  This would mean when they play Israel there is nothing to play for and they do already have a playoff in the bag via the nations league anyway.  This would mean Israel finishing on 19 points.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, todd said:

I think we're going to have to win both games against the Faroes and Moldova because unless Austria manage to beat Denmark, they will be unable to reach second if we have beaten the Faroes.  This would mean when they play Israel there is nothing to play for and they do already have a playoff in the bag via the nations league anyway.  This would mean Israel finishing on 19 points.

On the other hand Austria might just manage to sneak a win in Denmark putting them right back into the mix again. 

Either way we need 6 points.

The other thing is that we play Moldova a few hours before the Austria v Israel game, so we just have to assume that we need the win.

Got to take 3 points off Faroes first though.

 

Edited by Orraloon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, todd said:

I think we're going to have to win both games against the Faroes and Moldova because unless Austria manage to beat Denmark, they will be unable to reach second if we have beaten the Faroes.  This would mean when they play Israel there is nothing to play for and they do already have a playoff in the bag via the nations league anyway.  This would mean Israel finishing on 19 points.

Austria cannot afford to lose qualifiers tamely or else they run the real risk of dropping from pot two seeding to pot three. They will not want that to happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I don't think Adams will be fit he looked like he went off with an injury yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised to see two or three changes as a lot of players ran themselves into the ground in search of the winner.

For this game I’d pick Nisbet over Adams anyway. Fancy him for a couple of goals on Tuesday. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

Are Austria guaranteed a playoff via their Nations League ranking ?  Wouldn’t someone like Iceland or Bosnia get a playoff spot ahead of them if they didn’t finish top 2 in their sections which they are unlikely to do.

Yes they currently are, they'd be unseeded though.

The only way Austria can't get a play off is if two of France, Spain, Belgium, Italy or Wales don't finish in the top two of their groups, pretty much guaranteed then!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Yes they currently are, they'd be unseeded though.

The only way Austria can't get a play off is if two of France, Spain, Belgium, Italy or Wales don't finish in the top two of their groups, pretty much guaranteed then!

 

Thanks, so if Wales finish second Czech Republic could still get into Playoffs based on Nations League ranking ?

Hits home the importance of the Slovakia and Israel matches after the Serbia win. We could have had a playoff and promotion to the next Nations League A in the bank.

If we secure second place it be good to be seeded and at least have a chance of two home matches. 🤞

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

Thanks, so if Wales finish second Czech Republic could still get into Playoffs based on Nations League ranking ?

Hits home the importance of the Slovakia and Israel matches after the Serbia win. We could have had a playoff and promotion to the next Nations League A in the bank.

If we secure second place it be good to be seeded and at least have a chance of two home matches. 🤞

 

 

 

Yes both are already guaranteed a playoff spot. One of them will get it through 2nd place the other from the Nations League.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Poland can't get in through the Nations League.

I am very confident that Albania won't get second place.

 

It could happen. They beat Poland at home and would be 4 clear with 2 to play. I know they still have England but given they've just played Hungary would mean one of Andorra/San Marino last game. 

I'd be o.k with Poles as play off opposition aswell. Gave them two really good games in 2016 qualifiers when they had a much stronger all around team given they got to QFs of those euros.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

It could happen. They beat Poland at home and would be 4 clear with 2 to play. I know they still have England but given they've just played Hungary would mean one of Andorra/San Marino last game. 

I'd be o.k with Poles as play off opposition aswell. Gave them two really good games in 2016 qualifiers when they had a much stronger all around team given they got to QFs of those euros.

Aye it could happen. I just don't think it will. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a given that for Scotland to make the play-offs we need to win the next 2 away games against the Faroe Islands and Moldova, however the trip to Chisinau gives me the fear! 
If Scotland take maximum points in these games it will leave us on 20pts which effectively means 14pts (points not counting against bottom team in a group of 6) I’ve not included the Denmark game, they are very very strong and a draw at home would be huge (kinda unlikely though) 

IMO it will be 50/50 if we get seeded or are one of the bottom 4 2nd placed Teams…. 
 

The only way I think for us to get a 2nd place seeding is by results going our way from Groups D, E, H, J ( and possibly G ) 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, broraboy said:

IMO it will be 50/50 if we get seeded or are one of the bottom 4 2nd placed Teams…. 
 

The only way I think for us to get a 2nd place seeding is by results going our way from Groups D, E, H, J ( and possibly G ) 
 

It's going to be very tight. Obviously priority #1 is three points tomorrow but racking up a few goals could be vital in the final reckoning. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, focus on tomorrow and look to get the points as there will be twists and turns in the other groups.

At the moment we need Poland to win or draw against Albania on Tuesday and England to beat Albania at Wembley (by 3 or 4 would be nice) in November. It would also be beneficial if Germany and Belgium win their remaining games as well.

it look likely that Portugal/Serbia, Sweden, Switzerland and Russia Groups will all be seeded so it leaves us to fight out for the remaining 2 seeded slots.

At the moment the Ukraine & North Macedonia groups look almost certain to have 2 of the 4 unseeded teams so providing we can beat the Faroes tomorrow, we will have a decent chance of being seeded and any points against Denmark should seal it for us.

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, JandC said:

Yes, focus on tomorrow and look to get the points as there will be twists and turns in the other groups.

At the moment we need Poland to win or draw against Albania on Tuesday and England to beat Albania at Wembley (by 3 or 4 would be nice) in November. It would also be beneficial if Germany and Belgium win their remaining games as well.

it look likely that Portugal/Serbia, Sweden, Switzerland and Russia Groups will all be seeded so it leaves us to fight out for the remaining 2 seeded slots.

At the moment the Ukraine & North Macedonia groups look almost certain to have 2 of the 4 unseeded teams so providing we can beat the Faroes tomorrow, we will have a decent chance of being seeded and any points against Denmark should seal it for us.

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

Surely 6 from next 2 would nail it for us before we play Denmark. ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, EddardStark said:

Surely 6 from next 2 would nail it for us before we play Denmark. ?

It would guarantee 2nd place but might not be enough to be seeded. But I haven't had a close look since the last set of results. Hope you are right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Surely 6 from next 2 would nail it for us before we play Denmark. ?

Just had a quick look and it's too early to say if that would be enough. There could be a few teams finish on 14 points and it goes down to GD? 

I think we are going to need a point off Denmark as well to be sure, but things could change if a few results go our way. 

Three points from the Faroes is the first target though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

It's going to be very tight. Obviously priority #1 is three points tomorrow but racking up a few goals could be vital in the final reckoning. 

 

Just had a thought, which might be nonsense. If we beat Faroes 6-0 and lose 1-0 to Moldova, Moldova go above Faroes in the group, which might have an impact on the chances of getting seeded? It's not often you have to worry about scoring too many goals. 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Curiosity got the better of me and I’ve had a look at the groups and forthcoming matches, if Scotland take maximum points in the next 3 games we’ll be seeded (tough ask) 

If Scotland take 6 points from next 3 games, then we are reliant from results elsewhere in the groups to get seeded!! 

As mentioned earlier - Groups D, E, H, J ( possibly G) are where we hope for results to go our way 🤞 

 

Tonight Monday Oct 11th x6 results to keep an eye on !! 
1. N.Macedonia v Germany ( need a German win ) 

2. Norway v Montenegro ( Norway to drop points, unlikely but we can hope )

3. Slovenia v Russia ( Slovenia win or avoid defeat to Russia ) 

4. Latvia v Turkey ( Turkey to drop points ) 

5. Romania v Armenia ( Romania to Win ) 

6. Estonia v Wales ( Wales to drop points ) 

 

 

Tomorrow night Tuesday Oct 12th x4 results to keep an eye on !! 
1. Albania v Poland ( Poland to drop points ) 

2. Sweden v Greece ( Greece away win, or take a point ) 

3. Lithuania v Switzerland ( Swiss to drop points, unlikely but handy if so ) 

4. Ukraine v Bosnia ( a draw is good here ) unusual thing about Group.D is Ukraine and Bosnia still to play each other twice! So 2 draws or both win one each and Group.D is a lower seeded 2nd place Team….. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Just had a thought, which might be nonsense. If we beat Faroes 6-0 and lose 1-0 to Moldova, Moldova go above Faroes in the group, which might have an impact on the chances of getting seeded? It's not often you have to worry about scoring too many goals. 🤔

Well if we lose to Moldova it puts 2nd in jeopardy as well. Let's just hammer both. Problem solved.😋

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Exactly ! 
 

Hammer them both, well more so the Faroes as Goal Difference against the Faroe Islands counts and puts us in a better position 👍 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, broraboy said:

Curiosity got the better of me and I’ve had a look at the groups and forthcoming matches, if Scotland take maximum points in the next 3 games we’ll be seeded (tough ask) 

If Scotland take 6 points from next 3 games, then we are reliant from results elsewhere in the groups to get seeded!! 

As mentioned earlier - Groups D, E, H, J ( possibly G) are where we hope for results to go our way 🤞 

 

Tonight Monday Oct 11th x6 results to keep an eye on !! 
1. N.Macedonia v Germany ( need a German win ) 

2. Norway v Montenegro ( Norway to drop points, unlikely but we can hope )

3. Slovenia v Russia ( Slovenia win or avoid defeat to Russia ) 

4. Latvia v Turkey ( Turkey to drop points ) 

5. Romania v Armenia ( Romania to Win ) 

6. Estonia v Wales ( Wales to drop points ) 

 

 

Tomorrow night Tuesday Oct 12th x4 results to keep an eye on !! 
1. Albania v Poland ( Poland to drop points ) 

2. Sweden v Greece ( Greece away win, or take a point ) 

3. Lithuania v Switzerland ( Swiss to drop points, unlikely but handy if so ) 

4. Ukraine v Bosnia ( a draw is good here ) unusual thing about Group.D is Ukraine and Bosnia still to play each other twice! So 2 draws or both win one each and Group.D is a lower seeded 2nd place Team….. 

We probably want a draw in Albania v Poland. If Albania win that, they will probably get second place and they still have Andorra in the last game so they would end up on 15 points. We would then probably need to beat Denmark to overtake them. If we drew with Denmark it might go down to GD?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Just had a thought, which might be nonsense. If we beat Faroes 6-0 and lose 1-0 to Moldova, Moldova go above Faroes in the group, which might have an impact on the chances of getting seeded? It's not often you have to worry about scoring too many goals. 🤔

Stop it. 😀 After beating the two superior teams we should be going into these games brimming with confidence. But of course this is Scotland. The Moldova game does fill me with dread but just because it is an absolutely classic looking banana skin on which we have a long history of treading. I think / hope the last two games will have really galvanized the team.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, thplinth said:

Stop it. 😀 After beating the two superior teams we should be going into these games brimming with confidence. But of course this is Scotland. The Moldova game does fill me with dread but just because it is an absolutely classic looking banana skin on which we have a long history of treading. I think / hope the last two games will have really galvanized the team.

 

Me too, but I've thought that many times before. Far too many times. 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...