Play Off Picture - Page 42 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

I'd say it is increasingly worrying that no word on the yellow cards being rescinded from the group stages for the play-off. I would have expected an announcement by now to be honest. 😬

I have the distinct feeling the media saw UEFA's announcement they'd take onboard every country in the play-offs opinion as they'd be scrubbed. However, this is a FIFA tournament - they make the decision.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'd say it is increasingly worrying that no word on the yellow cards being rescinded from the group stages for the play-off. I would have expected an announcement by now to be honest. 😬

I have the distinct feeling the media saw UEFA's announcement they'd take onboard every country in the play-offs opinion as they'd be scrubbed. However, this is a FIFA tournament - they make the decision.

I think FIFA have already said that if UEFA request a change to the rules then FIFA won't block that change. It's just up to UEFA to submit the request to FIFA.

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think FIFA have already said that if UEFA request a change to the rules then FIFA won't block that change. It's just up to UEFA to submit the request to FIFA.

Well it may be down to what countries in the play-offs backing the rescinding of yellow cards then. We know Scotland and Wales favour it as would Turkey I reckon as they have even more players on a booking away from suspension. Russia, I believe, will two players suspended for the semi if the yellow cards aren't rescinded so that is already so that is 25% of the teams involved. Portugal, I'd imagine, would back it as they have six players a booking away from suspension.

I think UEFA have to discuss it and vote at their monthly FA meetings, with the next one in a couple of weeks time, but I imagine that it will be voted through no problem (as 95% of their members it does not apply to, and almost all the play off teams having players on cards already)

12 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I think UEFA have to discuss it and vote at their monthly FA meetings, with the next one in a couple of weeks time, but I imagine that it will be voted through no problem (as 95% of their members it does not apply to, and almost all the play off teams having players on cards already)

Yes its fingers crossed then but a bit crazy it has come down to this late stage and pressure brought from competing teams for the correct call to be made. 

Edited by Caledonian Craig

I'm a great believer in sticking to the rules that were put in place at the start of a competition, and not changing them half way through, just because somethings happens that they failed to foresee. 

I also understand the benefits of being comfortable with hypocrisy, so as it would possibly benefit Scotland, I'd be quite happy if they changed the rules on this occasion. 😂

41 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I'm a great believer in sticking to the rules that were put in place at the start of a competition, and not changing them half way through, just because somethings happens that they failed to foresee. 

I also understand the benefits of being comfortable with hypocrisy, so as it would possibly benefit Scotland, I'd be quite happy if they changed the rules on this occasion. 😂

I think the rules, in this case, were overlooked or not thought about enough. These play-offs are not just one-off matches as was the case in past tournaments but a set of potentially two matches. On top of that the competing teams have come through a different amount of games to this point which is inherently unfair on those that have had ten qualifying games. End of the day in the World Cup yellow cards get rescinded way before eight or ten games are played so why wasn't this taken into account by FIFA? As I say a complete overlooking of a new play-off format.

Everybody had a chance to read the rules before the start of the competition. We are only moaning about it, because we got loads of yellow cards. Getting a 6 team group was just the luck of the draw. It's unfair on other teams that we have had 10 competitive games to prepare for these playoffs and others only got 8 games. 

If it was up to me I would stick with the original rules for the sake of integrity. But I'd be quite happy if they do change it and it benefits Scotland. 

It could also backfire on us though. I think Ramsey is on a yellow card as are six others in the Welsh squad. Should we make it to the final, it could help us if a couple of them were missing.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Everybody had a chance to read the rules before the start of the competition. We are only moaning about it, because we got loads of yellow cards. Getting a 6 team group was just the luck of the draw. It's unfair on other teams that we have had 10 competitive games to prepare for these playoffs and others only got 8 games. 

If it was up to me I would stick with the original rules for the sake of integrity. But I'd be quite happy if they do change it and it benefits Scotland. 

It could also backfire on us though. I think Ramsey is on a yellow card as are six others in the Welsh squad. Should we make it to the final, it could help us if a couple of them were missing.

I will bet you a bottom dollar the powers that be never gave the matter a second thought. They lazily skimmed over the play-off rulings keeping them the same as four years ago without taking into account the changes in the format. Lazy thinking and the fact they could and probably will end up changing it speaks for itself. They know they made a horlicks of it.

It’s a tricky one.

On one hand, it would seem to be fair to wipe the slate and have everyone starting from scratch in the play off, anyone who has a suspension should still serve it though.

On the other hand, since there’s only two games, the only way you’re going to miss the second game is if you’re sent off in the first one, there needs to be some form of jeopardy associated with being booked in the first game. 

1 hour ago, aaid said:

It’s a tricky one.

On one hand, it would seem to be fair to wipe the slate and have everyone starting from scratch in the play off, anyone who has a suspension should still serve it though.

On the other hand, since there’s only two games, the only way you’re going to miss the second game is if you’re sent off in the first one, there needs to be some form of jeopardy associated with being booked in the first game. 

Id accept the jeopardy being the bookings are carried forward to the actual tournament and they'd miss the first game 😄

A fair way to do it (as I’m sure someone else has already suggested) might be to discount any yellow cards picked up in games against the bottom teams in the groups of 6. Wouldn’t help us much but it would at least address the issue with some teams playing 2 extra games. 

Ukraine not messing around, manager has already told media in Ukraine that he has a list of 36 players ready and will give first call up's to Mykhaylo Mudryk (Shakhtar Donetsk) and Oleksiy Hutsulyak (Dnipro-1) as they need to apply for visa's in January.

6 hours ago, wanderer said:

Ukraine not messing around, manager has already told media in Ukraine that he has a list of 36 players ready and will give first call up's to Mykhaylo Mudryk (Shakhtar Donetsk) and Oleksiy Hutsulyak (Dnipro-1) as they need to apply for visa's in January.

What's with 36 players.Is it just a random number he has come up with.He does know he can only play 11 at the one time, i suppose.I'm sure Steve Clarke could say he has a list of 40 players.It's a sort of pointless statement by him.

10 hours ago, thesaint said:

What's with 36 players.Is it just a random number he has come up with.He does know he can only play 11 at the one time, i suppose.I'm sure Steve Clarke could say he has a list of 40 players.It's a sort of pointless statement by him.

Pretty normal for the Ukraine national team in recent years, call up an initial larger squad, with the home based players reporting a few days early and then squad size is cut.

14 hours ago, todd said:

Maybe already been mentioned here, but how depressing would that friendly arrangement UEFA are suggesting be? Whereby the losers of each semi final play each other!

It would be a damp squib match, but same time, Ukraine and Scotland will have put the time into planning travel arrangements for months beforehand, as they are both unable to play where the final will be regardless if they make it or not.

16 hours ago, todd said:

Maybe already been mentioned here, but how depressing would that friendly arrangement UEFA are suggesting be? Whereby the losers of each semi final play each other!

Might get you on the reserve list if there are a pile of withdrawals depending on what mega variety of covid is about next Christmas 

On 12/7/2021 at 5:46 PM, todd said:

Can't think of anything that would be more depressing than that.Just totally hideous idea.

1 hour ago, breeks_mctavish said:

If you win you automatically qualify for the next tournament’s best losers playoff round

Why did the guy who put post on not mention that.His opening words were it would be a damp squid match.It obviously wouldn't be if you automatically qualify for the next tournaments best losers play off round.Has that been put forward,or are you just suggesting it?

7 hours ago, thesaint said:

Why did the guy who put post on not mention that.His opening words were it would be a damp squid match.It obviously wouldn't be if you automatically qualify for the next tournaments best losers play off round.Has that been put forward,or are you just suggesting it?

Go on, it’ll be the best of the rest cup. Can play it in Greenland every 2 years

Edited by breeks_mctavish