Play Off Picture - Page 31 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture


Toepoke
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Playing our best is key. If we revert to timid football we’ll likely lose, if we play with belief in our ability and use the midfield properly we can beat any of the unseeded teams and most of the seeded ones. 

Exactly. Blitzkrieg! Hit them with everything we have from the start.

How refreshing it was on Monday to go for the throat from the first whistle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

Ukraine, while draw specialists, in one off games where they know what they need to do, can be a very dangerous teams (they play very similar to how we played under Walter Smith.... no pretty football, and spend most the game trying to soak up the pressure, then pounce with a couple of late goals).

Personally would have no issue with getting them in the draw, but they are one of the teams where under estimate them at your peril. 

They should feel the same about us , hopefully it comes back to bite them in the bum .

 I think Denmark totally underestimated us on Monday and struggled to compose themselves when they realised what they had on their hands. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:


I said elsewhere that much as I like Steve Clarke I was doubtful that he is the person to do this , fool that I am. 
 

I never doubted he would given time, he managed to turn a Killie team that was bottom of the league when he took over to one that was splitting the OF at Christmas the following season and finished 3rd.

Don't know how he does it but players just absolutely love him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

I think we could beat most the unseeded teams, and take Portugal and Italy out of the seeded teams, we could go toe-to-toe with most.

It will be foolish to think that the final will just be seeded teams, but if offered the Czechs at home in semi's with a home tie against the winner of Sweden v Wales in the final, I would rip your arm off for that right now.

That scenario can't happen as both Sweden and Wales are seeds, but know what your saying we'd take a Sweden or Wales at home in the Final should we get there.

My slant on it

Semi at Hampden : Really any of them. Folks fear of Czechs don't quite get, we missed great chances in Euro match and lost a crazy goal.

Final if Home : Any of them although hopefully not Italy or Portugal.

Final if Away : Just have to get on with it. Remember you can spin this out to Penalties and were ok at them.

Also mind, not all 6 seeds will win the home Semi Finals, there will be some away winners there too.

Wish the draw was today and not next Friday

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

 

 I think Denmark totally underestimated us on Monday and struggled to compose themselves when they realised what they had on their hands. 
 

They genuinely looked shellshocked. 

I was at the the tempo we played at so i think they would have been too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

They genuinely looked shellshocked. 

I was at the the tempo we played at so i think they would have been too!

😁 I know, I thought someone had spiked my drink. I am only 5’ 4 and was struggling to keep up with the passing,  my head  dodging about furiously behind the folk in front . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

That scenario can't happen as both Sweden and Wales are seeds, but know what your saying we'd take a Sweden or Wales at home in the Final should we get there.

My slant on it

Semi at Hampden : Really any of them. Folks fear of Czechs don't quite get, we missed great chances in Euro match and lost a crazy goal.

Final if Home : Any of them although hopefully not Italy or Portugal.

Final if Away : Just have to get on with it. Remember you can spin this out to Penalties and were ok at them.

Also mind, not all 6 seeds will win the home Semi Finals, there will be some away winners there too.

Wish the draw was today and not next Friday

 

sorry was meaning winner of games involving Sweden or Wales.

Czech are fast becoming my first choice (as you said, we missed far to many chances in that game, plus KT pulling out injured pretty late upset the balance and far to many key players (especially the Celtic ones and Marshall) went into the Euros seriously out of form) full house behind the team and think would be totally different this time around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

They genuinely looked shellshocked. 

I was at the the tempo we played at so i think they would have been too!

Wass and Jonsson spinning around in the middle of pitch 'Det må være et godt hold, Norwich!'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Does anyone know if we have any potential friendlies before the play off games? Going to be long wait til March for these play off games. 

No, March is the next international break.

We could potentially announce a game (just like Scandinavian and Eastern European nations do when they play games in Middle East in January), but it would not be FIFA sanctioned and clubs would be under no obligation to release players, so would be pointless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😁 I know, I thought someone had spiked my drink. I am only 5’ 4 and was struggling to keep up with the passing,  my head  dodging about furiously behind the folk in front . 

I take it you are female? 

Not sure I have ever come across a female member in here, certainly not since I started posting regularly. 

Would be good if a few more females could be encouraged to join in the discussions on here. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, wanderer said:

No, March is the next international break.

We could potentially announce a game (just like Scandinavian and Eastern European nations do when they play games in Middle East in January), but it would not be FIFA sanctioned and clubs would be under no obligation to release players, so would be pointless.

Thats a bit shit. Going to be a long few months. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From a fans point of view, Russia is possibly the worst possible away tie for a final.

Basically you will either have to take a major gamble (which if pays off is a bargain) and lay out for flights and a visa weeks in advance.... but with our game on the Wednesday, basically means straight through to Edinburgh on Thursday morning and hope you are close to the front of the line with 500-800 other Scotland fans all showing up for their visa application, and fork out £180 for a rush visa, and that is relying on them having your application (along with 100 of other fast track visa's and any non-football visa's being processed) ready on the Friday and doubtful they will work over time, you are relying totally on them to have your visa ready in time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wanderer said:

From a fans point of view, Russia is possibly the worst possible away tie for a final.

Basically you will either have to take a major gamble (which if pays off is a bargain) and lay out for flights and a visa weeks in advance.... but with our game on the Wednesday, basically means straight through to Edinburgh on Thursday morning and hope you are close to the front of the line with 500-800 other Scotland fans all showing up for their visa application, and fork out £180 for a rush visa, and that is relying on them having your application (along with 100 of other fast track visa's and any non-football visa's being processed) ready on the Friday and doubtful they will work over time, you are relying totally on them to have your visa ready in time.

It’s no happening is it!!!! Mind you if you turn up Thursday you’ll be first in the queue, the first of any games are not scheduled till later that day!! Lol I’ve also read in a couple of articles semi final games will be played on both 24th and 25th and finals 28th and 29th! That would sense commercially ( F the fans) to maximise TV income. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I take it you are female? 

Not sure I have ever come across a female member in here, certainly not since I started posting regularly. 

Would be good if a few more females could be encouraged to join in the discussions on here. 

 

Yes I am female  🙂

I tend to just lurk on this part of the board rather than post as I cant really contribute anything more than others who have much more knowledge than me ( I can hear Orralon muttering that I have nothing worthwhile to say in Anything Goes either but it still doesn’t stop me 🙂),  but I stick my tuppence worth in every now and then as I feel very passionate about the national team.

I agree it would be good to hear from other females. There are not many of us on here to my knowledge,  and those I do know  dont tend to post in this section. With so many women and girls playing football now there must be some that could make a good contribution. This is quite a traditional form of social media,  there may be more women on other sites. I like reading this board though.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Yes I am female  🙂

I tend to just lurk on this part of the board rather than post as I cant really contribute anything more than others who have much more knowledge than me ( I can hear Orralon muttering that I have nothing worthwhile to say in Anything Goes either but it still doesn’t stop me 🙂),  but I stick my tuppence worth in every now and then as I feel very passionate about the national team.

I agree it would be good to hear from other females. There are not many of us on here to my knowledge,  and those I do know  dont tend to post in this section. With so many women and girls playing football now there must be some that could make a good contribution. This is quite a traditional form of social media,  there may be more women on other sites. I like reading this board though.  

Yeh alot more woman/girls are playing football these days so there is the potential for more female members on here.

The upturn in Scotlands results recently and going to our first major tournament in 23 years should hopefully increase the numbers on here in general. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/18/2021 at 11:32 AM, Squirrelhumper said:

They genuinely looked shellshocked. 

I was at the the tempo we played at so i think they would have been too!

I said to my boy, there's no way we can keep this tempo up but hell, was I wrong!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh alot more woman/girls are playing football these days so there is the potential for more female members on here.

The upturn in Scotlands results recently and going to our first major tournament in 23 years should hopefully increase the numbers on here in general. 

I always like listening to Leanne Crichton; as good as any of the male pundits IMO with the possible exception of Neil McCann.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I always like listening to Leanne Crichton; as good as any of the male pundits IMO with the possible exception of Neil McCann.

She’s boring and states the obvious in her monotone sleep inducing style. 

Eilidh Barbour is quality though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

I always like listening to Leanne Crichton; as good as any of the male pundits IMO with the possible exception of Neil McCann.

 

53 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

She’s boring and states the obvious in her monotone sleep inducing style. 

Eilidh Barbour is quality though. 

Women arent even on here yet and already they have sparked a debate  ! 😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...