Play Off Picture - Page 44 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, mcguffin said:

Good point. I wasn't aware of that.

Aye, being honest it effects us in terms of very little, as Italy, Turkey and Sweden were effected the most, and Ukraine have more players than us, but that would not really come in to play for the final.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

Aye, being honest it effects us in terms of very little, as Italy, Turkey and Sweden were effected the most, and Ukraine have more players than us, but that would not really come in to play for the final.

One positive for us: one less thing for Steve Clarke and the squad to concern themselves with in their preparations?

4 hours ago, wanderer said:

Given Italy have something like 70% of their squad on yellows already, there was always a chance this was going to happen.

Great point, Italy and Portugal being in the playoffs really fucked with Fifa. Still can't quite believe they got drawn together, a legitimate draw for once, would never have happened in the Blatter era!

4 hours ago, wanderer said:

I have to disagree. Scotland had Stephen O'Donnell, Jack Hendry, Kevin Nisbet, Che Adams, John McGinn, Andy Robertson, Billy Gilmour and Scott McTominay all facing potential suspension from the play-off final should they be booked in the semi.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I have to disagree. Scotland had Stephen O'Donnell, Jack Hendry, Kevin Nisbet, Che Adams, John McGinn, Andy Robertson, Billy Gilmour and Scott McTominay all facing potential suspension from the play-off final should they be booked in the semi.

We also already suffered from it, sort of. Would Nathan Patterson have taken that "tactical" booking against Moldova if he wasnt already walking a tightrope? Obviously it turned out to be inconsequential, but having Patterson avaliable for Denmark would have been a good experience for him.

Ukraine manager says he is arranging a training camp in Turkey next month ahead of the game in March.

It will be predominantly Ukrainian based players (which makes up the majority of the national team anyway) so they are certainly taking March serious. 

42 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Ukraine manager says he is arranging a training camp in Turkey next month ahead of the game in March.

It will be predominantly Ukrainian based players (which makes up the majority of the national team anyway) so they are certainly taking March serious. 

He might be getting them out so they are not called up to fight the Russians..🤔

20 hours ago, stocky said:

He might be getting them out so they are not called up to fight the Russians..🤔

Nah, warm weather camp to get players ready.

Life in Ukraine just goes on (President went on a ski'ing holiday in the Carpathian Mountains last week) and most its just a shrug of the shoulders (UK embassy has been temporary moved from Kyiv to Lviv, and US Government have recalled their staff).

More a case of the Ukrainian FA are taking this game VERY serious, as they view this as their biggest game of the year, and will just write off the Nations League if they lose.

3 hours ago, wanderer said:

Nah, warm weather camp to get players ready.

Life in Ukraine just goes on (President went on a ski'ing holiday in the Carpathian Mountains last week) and most its just a shrug of the shoulders (UK embassy has been temporary moved from Kyiv to Lviv, and US Government have recalled their staff).

More a case of the Ukrainian FA are taking this game VERY serious, as they view this as their biggest game of the year, and will just write off the Nations League if they lose.

Thanks for the news from Ukraine. Very interesting!

Regards preparation, sounds like Ukraine are going to be well prepared for the game.  I'm not sure, how much preparation will our squad get before the match? (I'm starting to get nervous.)

7 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

Does Ukraine have summer football? Even if they don't I cannot imagine much football being played at this time of year so if their national team is made up of mainly home-based players then they'll need to shake off the rust so to speak. 

I think they are on a shut down just now and start up again at the end of Feb. Their season ends in May.

14 hours ago, shaggycoo said:

Does Ukraine have summer football? Even if they don't I cannot imagine much football being played at this time of year so if their national team is made up of mainly home-based players then they'll need to shake off the rust so to speak. 

Ukraine has a Sep - May league, but has a long winter shut down from the middle of December through to Feb.

Dynamo and Shakhtar are away in Turkey and Spain just now having winter camps.

15 hours ago, mcguffin said:

Thanks for the news from Ukraine. Very interesting!

Regards preparation, sounds like Ukraine are going to be well prepared for the game.  I'm not sure, how much preparation will our squad get before the match? (I'm starting to get nervous.)

As said previously said, their manager is very old school (he would probably be compared to Roxburgh and Brown... not the most glamorous of playing careers, and then came right through the national team youth set up (he has coached at every level from U16 upwards), where he went on to guide Ukraine to win the 2019 Under-20 World Cup.

12 hours ago, wanderer said:

As said previously said, their manager is very old school (he would probably be compared to Roxburgh and Brown... not the most glamorous of playing careers, and then came right through the national team youth set up (he has coached at every level from U16 upwards), where he went on to guide Ukraine to win the 2019 Under-20 World Cup.

Sounds like Steve Clark will have a real challenge on his hands.