Play Off Picture - Page 40 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

49 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Can’t remember what the story was in 85 when we had to play Australia 

There were three 4 team groups. Second in those played off rather than qualified automatically. 

We lucked out as our group runner up was drawn to play the Oceania group winner. The other play-off ended up being Belgium v Netherlands!

Edited by Toepoke

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

They have a strong squad of players playing bundesliga and serie a, under good management they should be a match for any side outwith the top tier nations. I think ppl are underestimating them because of their poor performance in our group and the fact we beat them away through a pen. If they play to their potential then they will be very tough to beat, we battled hard to win our game over there so it's no easy game. 

I would fancy our chances a lot more in Wales than in Austria, I would go as far as to say Wales away is the only option.

Ukraine first though.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

How are we historically bottlers when it comes to qualifying/playoffs? We have a decent record in playoffs and even qualifying up to 1998. 

Our recent qualifying record is atrocious obviously but that’s not the case historically. 

This topic of conversation got me curious in relation to our play-off record.

We have only been involved in 5 play-off events( some were single game, some were two legs and more recently its a semi-final & Final arrangement)

2020 - We came out of two play off games, making it through with penalty wins over Israel and Serbia.

2003 - Won 1-0 and then 6-0 v Netherlands, 6-1 aggregate loss

1999 - Lost 2-0 v England and then won 1-0, 2-1 aggregate loss

1985 - Beat Australia 2-0 and then drew 0-0, aggregate 2-0 win

1961 - Lost to Czechoslovakia loss 4-2 AET

In regards to the prize (prize being qualification), we are 2 wins and 3 losses

Goals For : 6

Goals against : 12

Goal Difference : -6

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Thats a bit shit, would of been great to have it at the millennium stadium assuming Wales and us get there. 

They've generally had a very strong record at Cardiff city stadium since they moved qualifiers there, very rarely lose whereas playing at Millenium was pretty self defeating as less intense atmosphere and away teams got more motivation, Spain battered them about 4-1 in a rare game they played 3-4 years ago.

Of course they could get 75k no problem for potential final so sure FAW would be tempted on revenue but would be amazed if it was moved.

Overall no real complaints with draw. Ukraine can be tricky but when you look at overall record in last two years it's really not that good, they were very fortunate to get to QFs of euros and mediocre qualifying record. Tough to break down though so wouldn't shock me if it's a repeat of Israel match in the last play off.

Actually one of the few matches Wales lost at home in last few qualifiers was 0-1 against Republic of Ireland in October 2017. ROI did a number on them that night in what was pretty much a play off for 2nd. Hopefully one of Bale/Ramsey is injured for March aswell.

Both teams still have to get to the final but I had a hunch this meeting would happen to make world cup, would be some build up.

39 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

There were three 4 team groups. Second in those played off rather than qualified automatically. 

We lucked out as our group runner up was drawn to play the Oceania group winner. The other play-off ended up being Belgium v Netherlands!

Edit.  Ignore. 

Edited by AlfieMoon

51 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I would fancy our chances a lot more in Wales than in Austria, I would go as far as to say Wales away is the only option.

Ukraine first though.

Exactly this, we could potentially turn wales away into a home game given the amount of welsh plastic fans!

3 hours ago, thplinth said:

Our history totally merits other sides fancying us in the playoffs. We are historical nearly men, bottlers... no point running away from it or denying it. 

Not interested in the wales / austria outcome, only have eyes for Ukraine... win that and I'd not be too bothered who we face.

Steve Clarke and the team reversed the loser pattern in the group to get to the playoffs but now we have to continue... no flash in the pan... no resting on our laurels... no patting ourselves on the back shite.

Beat Ukraine. See what happens next.

You've got to assume Ukraine will have been celebrating the fact they avoided the likes of Italy, Portugal and Russia. They'll look at the tie against us as winnable and already be researching and fantasising about the likely final opponent. Good. They'll underestimate us, and we'll crush them.

The first game is by far the most important. Win that, with a good performance, and the confidence and momentum we'll take into the final will sweep away Wales or Austria. 

I am overjoyed at this draw. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Ukraine first though.

You would fancy our chances more against a team we haven’t beat for years than a team we beat in Austria a couple of months ago? Odd. 

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

This topic of conversation got me curious in relation to our play-off record.

We have only been involved in 5 play-off events( some were single game, some were two legs and more recently its a semi-final & Final arrangement)

2020 - We came out of two play off games, making it through with penalty wins over Israel and Serbia.

2003 - Won 1-0 and then 6-0 v Netherlands, 6-1 aggregate loss

1999 - Lost 2-0 v England and then won 1-0, 2-1 aggregate loss

1985 - Beat Australia 2-0 and then drew 0-0, aggregate 2-0 win

1961 - Lost to Czechoslovakia loss 4-2 AET

In regards to the prize (prize being qualification), we are 2 wins and 3 losses

Goals For : 6

Goals against : 12

Goal Difference : -6

Nice bit of research. Yeah not a fantastic record but not terrible. 

38 minutes ago, todd said:

Exactly this, we could potentially turn wales away into a home game given the amount of welsh plastic fans!

Maybe if it was at the principality but Wales will easily sell 30,000 tickets and we’ll have (hopefully) about a tenth of that. 

5 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

I think the 6 Nations finishes 10 days beforehand. Long enough to prep the pitch, I would think.

I don't think the WFA will move it to the Millennium, but if I was Welsh I'd be screaming for them to do so.

A fervent Millennium would be more intimidating than the Cardiff City Stadium.  

Was speaking to a Welsh mate of mine earlier tonight who goes home and away with them.  

Outwith the fact the FAW have already confirmed that should they get through, both games will be played at CCS, there’s no chance they’ll move it as they have a great record at the CCS.

When the Euro 2020 path was drawn I remember thinking FFS - we should get past Israel but Norway or Serbia away will be very very tough. I would rather visit Cardiff than either of those two. Yes they will have a big home support but it should also have a domestic game feel to it as opposed to visiting some far flung place at the back of beyond. I still think Austria will squeak through to the final. 

Edited by Saint4805

No way will the Welsh FA switch from the Cardiff City Stadium - for several reasons.

They have a great record there and it is seen now as the home of Welsh football by the supporters. The Millennium Stadium (though bigger) was never really home for them. Think of it as us playing intermittent games at Murrayfield (much bigger stadium) whilst say Hampden was renovated. To football fans we'd always crave a return to a football stadium we can call home.

I'd also say there are politics hidden in there. The Millennium Stadium is the home of Welsh Rugby and I'd guess they'd take a big share of any gate receipts (unlike the Cardiff City Stadium).

I think on balance we’ve done ok to be in with the other 3, Ukraine Wales Austria, was hoping for the potential final to have been home too, but just have to get on with it. As I said earlier all 6 home teams won’t win all 6 Semi Finals, there will be a couple of away winners somewhere. The bookies will make a fortune on these matches as they are nearly all too hard to predict. I wouldn’t hazard a guess at who might win between Wales and Austria, but I’ve booked a hotel in both as I hope we get through a tough tie against Ukraine 

Edited by Stockholm 1980

1 hour ago, Saint4805 said:

When the Euro 2020 path was drawn I remember thinking FFS - we should get past Israel but Norway or Serbia away will be very very tough. I would rather visit Cardiff than either of those two. Yes they will have a big home support but it should also have a domestic game feel to it as opposed to visiting some far flung place at the back of beyond. I still think Austria will squeak through to the final. 

Can 30,000 be classed as a big home support? It’s not insignificant but small compared to what we could have potentially faced in Italy, Portugal, Sweden or Russia.

53 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No way will the Welsh FA switch from the Cardiff City Stadium - for several reasons.

They have a great record there and it is seen now as the home of Welsh football by the supporters. The Millennium Stadium (though bigger) was never really home for them. Think of it as us playing intermittent games at Murrayfield (much bigger stadium) whilst say Hampden was renovated. To football fans we'd always crave a return to a football stadium we can call home.

I'd also say there are politics hidden in there. The Millennium Stadium is the home of Welsh Rugby and I'd guess they'd take a big share of any gate receipts (unlike the Cardiff City Stadium).

About an hour so after the draw was made the Welsh FA said categorically that the game will not be played at the principality stadium 

10 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

You would fancy our chances more against a team we haven’t beat for years than a team we beat in Austria a couple of months ago? Odd. 

I'd rather Wales than Austria as well. When we played a full strength Austria at Hampden we struggled to get a draw and we couldn't handle the big centre forward at all. 

It made a huge difference that he wasn't available when we played them in Vienna. 

Not beating Wales for years is completely irrelevant given both teams are almost entirely changed from last time we played them. 

4 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I'd rather Wales than Austria as well. When we played a full strength Austria at Hampden we struggled to get a draw and we couldn't handle the big centre forward at all. 

It made a huge difference that he wasn't available when we played them in Vienna. 

Not beating Wales for years is completely irrelevant given both teams are almost entirely changed from last time we played them. 

Not as irrelevant as ignoring our two results V Austria in this tournament. I remember being disappointed we only drew that match at Hampden despite twice coming from behind considering the chances we made.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Not as irrelevant as ignoring our two results V Austria in this tournament. I remember being disappointed we only drew that match at Hampden despite twice coming from behind considering the chances we made.

Austria also had a perfectly good goal chopped off. If VAR had been used then the goal would've been given. 

Admittedly somewhat balanced out by us having a stonewall penalty not given. 

10 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Yeah I get that but why are people scared or a potential trip to a country we have beaten away very recently? 

We would struggle to win in Wales, almost everybody does. I’m not saying going to a Austria would be easier but taking 4 points off them this year could prove to be a huge psychological advantage.

Edited by Texas Pete

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Yeah I get that but why are people scared or a potential trip to a country we have beaten away very recently? 

We would struggle to win in Wales, almost everybody does. I’m not saying going to a Austria would be easier but taking 4 points off them this year could prove to be a huge psychological advantage.

Saying I'd prefer Wales does not equate to "I'm terrified of playing Austria". 

I'd give us a good chance of winning in Austria but I'd give us a better chance of winning in Wales. Understand why others would disagree though. 

6 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Austria also had a perfectly good goal chopped off. If VAR had been used then the goal would've been given. 

Admittedly somewhat balanced out by us having a stonewall penalty not given. 

If my aunt had baws………

We are a better team now than when we drew with Austria at Hampden. Austria appear to have declined since the Euros. That could all change in the next 4 months right enough.

I actually don’t mind who wins the other semi to be honest. Let’s just hope we beat Ukraine and the other match will take care of itself. 

3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Saying I'd prefer Wales does not equate to "I'm terrified of playing Austria". 

I'd give us a good chance of winning in Austria but I'd give us a better chance of winning in Wales. Understand why others would disagree though. 

I didn’t say you were terrified. Others appear to be dreading a potential trip to either country though. 

We could potentially have been going to Portugal, Italy or Russia so we have dodged a bullet there I’d say. Wales or Austria really is the best final we could have hoped for unless there was a major upset somewhere.

Let’s just hope the Ukrainians don’t spoil the party by having the cheek to beat us in the semi. 

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

One thing that is clear is that Austria ship goals more freely than us, Ukraine or Wales. Also none of the teams are big scorers so I think all of the games in this path will be either the narrowest of wins or extra-time and penalties deciding them.

If our recent history in playoffs is anything to go by you may well be correct. I’m not sure I could handle another 2 penalty shootouts though.