Play Off Picture - Page 39 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Still a good result. Denmark had already qualified as well. Wales beat belgium to get to the euros semis back in 2016 as well. They are a good side with some decent players. Obviously bale and Ramsay are their big guns but they have some good players who play epl or have played epl football. If it was at Hampden I would give us the edge. 

That's true but Belgium had nothing to play for really where as, I think, Denmark were determined to qualify with that 100% record.  At home I'd rather play Austria in the final but away I'd rather Wales so I'll be supporting wales for their semi 

2 minutes ago, GaryWood34 said:

Six nations 

I think the 6 Nations finishes 10 days beforehand. Long enough to prep the pitch, I would think.

I don't think the WFA will move it to the Millennium, but if I was Welsh I'd be screaming for them to do so.

A fervent Millennium would be more intimidating than the Cardiff City Stadium.  

3 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

they play Italy on 19th…… plenty of time for groundsmen to get into it…… ?

A week after weeks of matches of rugby? 

Plus their players are completely used to the Cardiff city stadium by now so they should keep it there.

I think Austria will beat them anyway and we will all be off to a far nicer city :)

1 hour ago, todd said:

Bookies have Austria as favourites to win path A.  Fuckin bizarre considering they came 4th in our group and sneaked in the back door!

I’m surprised they’re even favourites for the Wales game, never mind the whole path. 

10 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

I think the 6 Nations finishes 10 days beforehand. Long enough to prep the pitch, I would think.

I don't think the WFA will move it to the Millennium, but if I was Welsh I'd be screaming for them to do so.

It makes sense, much more Welsh fans get to see them lose to us lol. 

16 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

I can’t be arsed researching it but from memory I’m pretty sure they have a much better record at Cardiff City Stadium. 

Our history totally merits other sides fancying us in the playoffs. We are historical nearly men, bottlers... no point running away from it or denying it. 

Not interested in the wales / austria outcome, only have eyes for Ukraine... win that and I'd not be too bothered who we face.

Steve Clarke and the team reversed the loser pattern in the group to get to the playoffs but now we have to continue... no flash in the pan... no resting on our laurels... no patting ourselves on the back shite.

Beat Ukraine. See what happens next.

3 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

If Austria have Sabizer back for the play-offs they'll be a different proposition to the team we played in September. 

They have a strong squad of players playing bundesliga and serie a, under good management they should be a match for any side outwith the top tier nations. I think ppl are underestimating them because of their poor performance in our group and the fact we beat them away through a pen. If they play to their potential then they will be very tough to beat, we battled hard to win our game over there so it's no easy game. 

34 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Our history totally merits other sides fancying us in the playoffs. We are historical nearly men, bottlers... no point running away from it or denying it. 

Not interested in the wales / austria outcome, only have eyes for Ukraine... win that and I'd not be too bothered who we face.

Steve Clarke and the team reversed the loser pattern in the group to get to the playoffs but now we have to continue... no flash in the pan... no resting on our laurels... no patting ourselves on the back shite.

Beat Ukraine. See what happens next.

How are we historically bottlers when it comes to qualifying/playoffs? We have a decent record in playoffs and even qualifying up to 1998. 

Our recent qualifying record is atrocious obviously but that’s not the case historically. 

16 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

How are we historically bottlers when it comes to qualifying/playoffs? We have a decent record in playoffs and even qualifying up to 1998. 

Our recent qualifying record is atrocious obviously but that’s not the case historically. 

By recent do you mean 20+ years. That is not 'recent'. Recent would be like 3 years max.

But aye ok... how many world cups did we go to in total...and we never made it out the first round. Same with the euros. 

Ireland... how did they do when they qualified. Wales... did they not reach the semi finals of the euros 'recently'.

This Scotland side under Clarke look to me like they can break the loser mold of sides of old. (that may have rhymed)

Just now, thplinth said:

By recent do you mean 20+ years. That is not 'recent'. Recent would be like 3 years max.

But aye ok... how many world cups did we go to in total...and we never made it out the first round. Same with the euros. 

Ireland... how did they do when they qualified. Wales... did they not reach the semi finals of the euros 'recently'.

This Scotland side under Clarke look to me like they can break the loser mold of sides of old. (that may have rhymed)

Well I don’t think you can describe the last 20 years as historical but if it’s just semantics we’re talking then fair enough. We’ve been playing international football for nearly 150 years so I would say 20 years is fairly recent.

Our qualifying record in the last 3 years is pretty good though. One tournament reached out of two. Possibly two out of three depending on what happens in March. What has happened prior to that is pretty irrelevant in my opinion. If Ukraine, Wales or Austria think they will have an easy time of it because we lost to Netherlands and England in playoffs around  20 years ago then they are pretty daft. 

They will likely be relieved to be playing us because we are one of the weakest seeded teams though which is fair enough. Hopefully they will underestimate us. 

Worth remembering we did go to the euros and went out in 'classic' style... the Schick 'wonder goal' essentially fucked us before we even got going...

I think we were all thinking that maybe Clarke was a mistake at that point... but somehow I think it has maybe made this side realize that they don't want to be that same butt of the joke Scottish side that we all know supporting Scotland this last XX years.

Win or lose I don't really care. For the first time in a long time I am not embarrassed by or worse ashamed of the Scotland team.

The only way to shake off the loser reputation is to win.

So in that respect I'd far prefer (beating) Austria than Wales but honestly the real test will be Ukraine. If we beat them I think we will be flying.

Edited by thplinth

1 minute ago, thplinth said:

Worth remembering we did go to the euros and went out in 'classic' style... the Schick 'wonder goal' essentially fucked us before we even got going...

I think we were all thinking that maybe Clarke was a mistake at that point... but somehow I think it has maybe made this side realize that they don't want to be that same butt of the joke Scottish side that we all know supporting Scotland this last XX years.

Win or lose I don't really care. For the first time in a long time I am not embarrassed by or worse ashamed of the Scotland team.

The only way to shake off the loser reputation is too win.

So in that respect I'd far prefer (beating) Austria than Wales but honestly the real test will be Ukraine. If we beat them I think we will be flying.

That’s it, imagine a swashbuckling 2007 style win and the momentum/juggernaut will be huge…man if we do it please let it be wales, part of me is dreading it but the occasion would just be epic and a win down there…wow. Wouldn’t get any better. Huge ladder to climb tho granted.