Play Off Picture - Page 34 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

Just now, ceudmilefailte said:

What your not taking into account is that we probably have our best team in 25 years

No you miss my point. I am not dismissing our chances but I don't buy into this all front and bullshit that people like to portray about Wales being crap. Those people are living in a 1970s time warp where Wales were perennial also rans in qualification. Right now my preferences if all seeded teams make it to the final (beginning with most desired draw) would be:- Sweden, Russia, Wales, Portugal and Italy. I just do not like our record against other home nation sides in the last two decades. More often than not when the chips are down we've been found sadly wanting. There are reasons for cautious optimism this time around for sure but Wales will be feeling equally buoyant.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No you miss my point. I am not dismissing our chances but I don't buy into this all front and bullshit that people like to portray about Wales being crap. Those people are living in a 1970s time warp where Wales were perennial also rans in qualification. Right now my preferences if all seeded teams make it to the final (beginning with most desired draw) would be:- Sweden, Russia, Wales, Portugal and Italy. I just do not like our record against other home nation sides in the last two decades. More often than not when the chips are down we've been found sadly wanting. There are reasons for cautious optimism this time around for sure but Wales will be feeling equally buoyant.

Not sure it's with you that  i have disagreed with in the past,  but I dismiss historical data when it comes to football. Only recent form and results have any say on what would be a likely outcome in a forthcoming match.

Wales aren't crap but we are better than them.

7 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not sure it's with you that  i have disagreed with in the past,  but I dismiss historical data when it comes to football. Only recent form and results have any say on what would be a likely outcome in a forthcoming match.

Fair enough. That is your opinion but recent form in major tournaments suggest otherwise.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I don't think anybody's saying Wales are crap.  However, you're putting too much emphasis on historical stuff.  You'd choose Sweden first?  Over the last 25 years we've played them 4 times, winning once and losing 3 including 2 horsings.  That'd only be relevant if we played them again and had Gary Kenneth back in the team.

Nothing that went before matters.  I'm sure Steve Clarke doesn't believe in bogey men.

6 minutes ago, daviebee said:

I don't think anybody's saying Wales are crap.  However, you're putting too much emphasis on historical stuff.  You'd choose Sweden first?  Over the last 25 years we've played them 4 times, winning once and losing 3 including 2 horsings.  That'd only be relevant if we played them again and had Gary Kenneth back in the team.

Nothing that went before matters.  I'm sure Steve Clarke doesn't believe in bogey men.

Yes I would prefer Sweden over Wales. Wales have handed us sore losses on several occasions in the last decade. Also I have not seen Sweden beat Belgium to reach a Euros semi-final.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

If I've researched this correctly, the last time we played Wales was in 2013. The only Scotland player starting that game that is likely to play against Wales is Grant Hanley. Who in fact scored our only goal of the game! (We lost 2-1)

There was only 1 other player in the squad that day that might be in the March squad, and that is David Marshall, who may not even be picked if he doesn't get a move. 

The Welsh are not daft enough to think we are the same team as we were back then.

Re the aging squad "myth". Yes, they have a young average squad, but they are not replacing veterans with better players, as far as I can tell. It's true that Wales have a young team, but it's also true that their best players are no where near their peak. We should not be fearing Wales.

8 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

Quite right. It's irrelevant.

Amazing the number of people who trot out such shyte, mind; especially commentators.

And it is amazing how people's minds are stuck in the 70s when Wales never qualified and we always did. Those days are long gone and moved full circle and a bit more. Wales not only have qualified but got to one Euro semis and got past the group stages in the summer. We, sadly, have got nowhere near that even in our golden age of the 1970s.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Anyway back to the play-off picture. I wonder, if, when the draw is done tomorrow FIFA will announce the wiping of yellow cards from the group stages? It is the sensible and fair thing to do.

Especially when our captain is on a yellow for complaining about a goal being disallowed only for VAR to overturn the decision!

6 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Especially when our captain is on a yellow for complaining about a goal being disallowed only for VAR to overturn the decision!

The more farcical side of it is that some of the teams (us included) have played ten games. If memory serves in the World Cup Finals yellow cards get scrubbed clear at QF stage which is five games into the tournament.

13 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The more farcical side of it is that some of the teams (us included) have played ten games. If memory serves in the World Cup Finals yellow cards get scrubbed clear at QF stage which is five games into the tournament.

Considering they happily exclude our games against the 6th placed team for deciding the playoff seeding, at the very least they should remove any yellow cards from those games. Though I've not checked if any of our yellows were picked up against Moldova.

I've heard Italy have like 11 players on a yellow. Surely sense will prevail.

Edit: we got 1 yellow over those 2 games and we have already been punished for it - Patterson's 2nd yellow.

Edited by Tartan blood

18 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Anyway back to the play-off picture. I wonder, if, when the draw is done tomorrow FIFA will announce the wiping of yellow cards from the group stages? It is the sensible and fair thing to do.

Hampden Roar lads said the yellows need to be wiped prior to the draw if they are going to do that. Not sure the actual source or can vouch for the accuracy.

On 11/24/2021 at 8:31 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

I'm amazed anyone is scared of Wales.

No, not at all, we have the best team now that we've had for some time, we have momentum and confidence. Get them at home and we can beat them, saying that we need to be more "clever" when we are playing teams like them, like Wales with Bale running the show or Croatia with Modric, we need to be quicker to identify how they are playing and address it, that was my ONLY criticism of the manager when Croatia nailed us at Hampden, someone should have put Modric in the sea. Aye I know, it's "old school" and unsporting but sometimes you need to do what you need to do to get there, this time let's not be naive.