Play Off Picture - Page 29 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

32 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

Or even down there - remember we won't have Gareth Bale running past Charlie Adam (looking like he was towing a fuckn tank)

If I never have to go to Wales again it will still be too soon. That has to be the worst game ever.  Looking at this table to now though it is amazing how far we have come.

AA9A50D0-76D4-470A-85D3-71C6EA9171D3.thumb.jpeg.47d6ee9fd696636012a0cf546cec2275.jpeg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From unseeded team, major one I want to avoid is Poland, and while on paper Macedonia look by far the best option, they beat Germany away, so are not the side we played a number of years ago under Burley and Levein.

Macedonia probably would be my preferred option, but would take the Czechs, as I would put the Euros down to a bad day at the office with KT pulling out injured late and the Celtic players massively off form... Euros came just 2/3 months to early for us and think we are in a much better position.

Final, from the seeded teams, probably the winner of games involving the Welsh or Sweden.

Basically if we can avoid playing Poland, Italy and Portugal, and get even more lucky with a home final, think we have a great chance.

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Why aren't they told to just play behind closed doors somewhere neutral.

Odds on them meeting aren't worth the disruption to other countries. 

It's not like the players are at war

I don’t think it’s only because of the risk of crowd trouble at the game. 

Double post. This site is becoming unusable. 

Edited by Texas Pete

I think if you start talking about a neutral venue for one game, then all the other away teams in finals will start kicking off.

Should it be fair that Russia v Ukraine is played in Berlin, but we have to play Italy in the Stadio Olympico?

I think that is the view UEFA are taking.

Either way, Ukraine have opened themselves up to more of a chance of getting Italy or Portugal at some point, while from our point of view, it slightly helps our odd's of avoiding them somewhat if we can avoid Ukraine in the semi's.

7 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I think if you start talking about a neutral venue for one game, then all the other away teams in finals will start kicking off.

Should it be fair that Russia v Ukraine is played in Berlin, but we have to play Italy in the Stadio Olympico?

I think that is the view UEFA are taking.

Either way, Ukraine have opened themselves up to more of a chance of getting Italy or Portugal at some point, while from our point of view, it slightly helps our odd's of avoiding them somewhat if we can avoid Ukraine in the semi's.

As I understand it the seeded teams will be drawn first so we will have an idea of who we play in the final before we know our semi-final opponent. So if we are drawn in the same path as Russia when the unseeded teams are drawn (and if its Ukraine) they'll be automatically placed in the next path away from Russia.

1 hour ago, wanderer said:

From unseeded team, major one I want to avoid is Poland, and while on paper Macedonia look by far the best option, they beat Germany away, so are not the side we played a number of years ago under Burley and Levein.

Macedonia probably would be my preferred option, but would take the Czechs, as I would put the Euros down to a bad day at the office with KT pulling out injured late and the Celtic players massively off form... Euros came just 2/3 months to early for us and think we are in a much better position.

Final, from the seeded teams, probably the winner of games involving the Welsh or Sweden.

Basically if we can avoid playing Poland, Italy and Portugal, and get even more lucky with a home final, think we have a great chance.

I’d much rather play Austria in our semi than  North Macedonia or the Czech Republic as those two teams would have no fear of coming to Hampden.

Would Austria fancy playing a team again that took 4 points off them this year? I doubt it. 

13 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’d much rather play Austria in our semi than  North Macedonia or the Czech Republic as those two teams would have no fear of coming to Hampden.

Would Austria fancy playing a team again that took 4 points off them this year? I doubt it. 

Yes I understand your Austria point. And the Czech Republic may actually come over-confident after what happened in the Euros not taking into account pertinent points. This time around Hampden will be packed to the rafters and rocking plus, it is cannot be denied, we have improved since the Euros.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes I understand your Austria point. And the Czech Republic may actually come over-confident after what happened in the Euros not taking into account pertinent points. This time around Hampden will be packed to the rafters and rocking plus, it is cannot be denied, we have improved since the Euros.

Absolutely and I think we should be confident of winning the semi regardless of who we draw.

We have a great record against the Czechs notwithstanding our last couple of defeats. 

North Macedonia are a bit of an unknown quantity these days though and are obviously far better than they were when we have struggled against them previously. They also managed to finish second in their group whereas the Czechs came third and Austria 4th.

Poland, Turkey and Ukraine all finished second in their groups and are all solid teams. 

I do think Austria will be our best chance of progressing but bring on all comers as far as I’m concerned. I can’t wait for the draw and will be counting down the days until March. 

11 minutes ago, borojock said:

video made my day - 

Enjoyed that, cheers. 

I realise this has been covered extensively on another thread but this video perfectly demonstrates the difference between Provan and McCoist on co-commentary. Night and day. 

14 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Absolutely and I think we should be confident of winning the semi regardless of who we draw.

We have a great record against the Czechs notwithstanding our last couple of defeats. 

North Macedonia are a bit of an unknown quantity these days though and are obviously far better than they were when we have struggled against them previously. They also managed to finish second in their group whereas the Czechs came third and Austria 4th.

Poland, Turkey and Ukraine all finished second in their groups and are all solid teams. 

I do think Austria will be our best chance of progressing but bring on all comers as far as I’m concerned. I can’t wait for the draw and will be counting down the days until March. 

Honestly don't understand why people take historical trends into account, even our team today is nothing compared to our team 6 months ago and even less so if you go any distance beyond that. It's a bit like saying Third Lanark would beat  St Mirren a week on Sunday.

Really can't see any team we should be going "oh no please not them" in the next stage. The finals are another matter mind you.I

27 minutes ago, borojock said:

video made my day - 

This really demonstrates the progress that has been made through the campaign. From  having the drive to work  back after going behind in the earlier games , to the latter stages having the confidence and ability to take the lead from the outset. 

23 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Honestly don't understand why people take historical trends into account, even our team today is nothing compared to our team 6 months ago and even less so if you go any distance beyond that. It's a bit like saying Third Lanark would beat  St Mirren a week on Sunday.

Really can't see any team we should be going "oh no please not them" in the next stage. The finals are another matter mind you.I

Jesus, you’re hard work mate. 

14 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

This really demonstrates the progress that has been made through the campaign. From  having the drive to work  back after going behind in the earlier games , to the latter stages having the confidence and ability to take the lead from the outset. 

Great observation. Self confidence in your ability really makes a difference, and let's be honest, that's something we've always struggled with as a nation in general.

Just now, ceudmilefailte said:

The bit about historical results I assume?

Pretty much agree with every thing else you posted.

Just my opinion but using horoscopes to predict the future is about as much use as using data that is more than 2 years old

I have no problem with you disagreeing with anything in my post. It’s the way you do it. As if it’s ridiculous to think a good record against a team counts for anything.

Do you think our players would want to face Israel or Georgia again in our next campaign? 

Psychology is one of the most important things in sport and a good record against an opponent can count for a lot. If you disagree, fair enough but there’s no need to insinuate the idea is ridiculous. Especially for someone that puts so much stock in stats, which lets face it, can genuinely be meaningless. 

30 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I have no problem with you disagreeing with anything in my post. It’s the way you do it. As if it’s ridiculous to think a good record against a team counts for anything.

Do you think our players would want to face Israel or Georgia again in our next campaign? 

Psychology is one of the most important things in sport and a good record against an opponent can count for a lot. If you disagree, fair enough but there’s no need to insinuate the idea is ridiculous. Especially for someone that puts so much stock in stats, which lets face it, can genuinely be meaningless. 

If it was with you all the other times I have brought it up, I apologise. 

There are no doubt faults in the way I look at stats and also the way others who differ from me view them, all I said was that historical results have next to no bearing on future events in football.

If there's any one in the squad who gives two hoots about which lower seed teams we draw they shouldn't be in the squad and perhaps should see a Psychologist.

Out of curiosity do you think I disagree with you more than I do with other people or is it a case of I disagree you more than other people do.  Now there's a question for any lurking psychologists.

Probably best we give up on this line of discussion.

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

If it was with you all the other times I have brought it up, I apologise. 

There are no doubt faults in the way I look at stats and also the way others who differ from me view them, all I said was that historical results have next to no bearing on future events in football.

If there's any one in the squad who gives two hoots about which lower seed teams we draw they shouldn't be in the squad and perhaps should see a Psychologist.

Out of curiosity do you think I disagree with you more than I do with other people or is it a case of I disagree you more than other people do.  Now there's a question for any lurking psychologists.

Probably best we give up on this line of discussion.

I have no idea if you disagree with me more than others. I doubt it. Like I say, I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. This forum, and life in general, is all about opinions and if we all held the same opinion the world would be a boring place. 

The only reason I made my comment was you have a tendency to imply people are idiots if they hold a different opinion to you.

As I said, psychology is incredibly important in sports so I would suggest you do a bit of research into it before decrying it as ridiculous. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I have no idea if you disagree with me more than others. I doubt it. Like I say, I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. This forum, and life in general, is all about opinions and if we all held the same opinion the world would be a boring place. 

The only reason I made my comment was you have a tendency to imply people are idiots if they hold a different opinion to you.

As I said, psychology is incredibly important in sports so I would suggest you do a bit of research into it before decrying it as ridiculous. 

I do have that tendency to do that, it's not intended it's just a limited grasp of the English language.