Play Off Picture - Page 28 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Are we definitely away for the final if we get there? Or is that luck of the draw?

No, there’s a draw to see which of the Semi Final ties get the final match. 

Just like Nations League was

Scotland v Israel

Norway v Serbia

Draw was made and we knew if we beat Israel we’d be going to Norway or Serbia for the Final game.

2 minutes ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

No, there’s a draw to see which of the Semi Final ties get the final match. 

Just like Nations League was

Scotland v Israel

Norway v Serbia

Draw was made and we knew if we beat Israel we’d be going to Norway or Serbia for the Final game.

Cheers 👍🏻

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I'd happily take any of the playoff teams at hampden int he final if we get there. The team is feeding off the crowd and the hampden crowd has been brilliant lately. 

Agreed. For me it’s not WHO we get in the potential final, it’s WHERE. 

Let’s just get through the semi first though 👍🏼

Well we know we are guaranteed a home draw for the semi-final which is a big boost. There is no hiding now as all twelve teams are of a proven decent level. In the semis I'd rate our potential opponents like this:-

North Macedonia are the highest ranked team to reach the play-offs at 74. They did not come through the strongest of groups and although they quite potent in front of goal against lesser opposition they struggle to score against better sides but as a warning they inflicted a home defeat on Germany early on this campaign. No mugs but I'd be confident of a win against them at Hampden.

Turkey (ranked 39) are a side capable of scoring goals but also have a leaky defence having conceded 16 goals in qualifying (none more than us). Not the best on their travels and (like us) had a disappointing Euros. Not easy but I'd be disappointed if we lost to them at Hampden.

Austria (ranked 32) are a team we know well from the qualifying campaign. I have seen enough to feel good about a home draw against them. Sure we drew 2-2 in the campaign at Hampden but it felt like points dropped the way the game went. Since then we have got better and enhanced our team with the addition of the likes of Gilmour and Patterson and emergence of Dykes and Adams. A dangerous side but again suspect defence.

Czech Republic (ranked 31) are a team who have shown they can cause us problems . They are a well-organised if unspectacular team but we have motivation on our side. I suspect our squad would love a bit of revenge after the Euros loss against them. Could only manage third in their group and here courtesy of Nations League exploits where they pipped us for top spot. Still I'd fancy our chances against them at a full and rocking Hampden.

Ukraine (ranked 26) came through their qualifying campaign unbeaten but only won two games. A team that likes to keep it tight at the back perhaps to cover up their failings in attack. Not big scorers and I watched them in the Euros and they were very disappointing indeed. Another team I'd feel confident of us beating.

Poland (ranked 23) are the one I'd prefer we avoided. Obvious threat from them is Lewandowski. They have goals in them and a pretty decent defence plus will come with a noisy support. Still I'd back us with home support and the momentum we have built up but is the team I'd feel least confident about drawing.

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well we know we are guaranteed a home draw for the semi-final which is a big boost. There is no hiding now as all twelve teams are of a proven decent level. In the semis I'd rate our potential opponents like this:-

North Macedonia are the highest ranked team to reach the play-offs at 74. They did not come through the strongest of groups and although they quite potent in front of goal against lesser opposition they struggle to score against better sides but as a warning they inflicted a home defeat on Germany early on this campaign. No mugs but I'd be confident of a win against them at Hampden.

Turkey (ranked 39) are a side capable of scoring goals but also have a leaky defence having conceded 16 goals in qualifying (none more than us). Not the best on their travels and (like us) had a disappointing Euros. Not easy but I'd be disappointed if we lost to them at Hampden.

Austria (ranked 32) are a team we know well from the qualifying campaign. I have seen enough to feel good about a home draw against them. Sure we drew 2-2 in the campaign at Hampden but it felt like points dropped the way the game went. Since then we have got better and enhanced our team with the addition of the likes of Gilmour and Patterson and emergence of Dykes and Adams. A dangerous side but again suspect defence.

Czech Republic (ranked 31) are a team who have shown they can cause us problems . They are a well-organised if unspectacular team but we have motivation on our side. I suspect our squad would love a bit of revenge after the Euros loss against them. Could only manage third in their group and here courtesy of Nations League exploits where they pipped us for top spot. Still I'd fancy our chances against them at a full and rocking Hampden.

Ukraine (ranked 26) came through their qualifying campaign unbeaten but only won two games. A team that likes to keep it tight at the back perhaps to cover up their failings in attack. Not big scorers and I watched them in the Euros and they were very disappointing indeed. Another team I'd feel confident of us beating.

Poland (ranked 23) are the one I'd prefer we avoided. Obvious threat from them is Lewandowski. They have goals in them and a pretty decent defence plus will come with a noisy support. Still I'd back us with home support and the momentum we have built up but is the team I'd feel least confident about drawing.

I think theres a decent chance of beating those teams, especially at home.

It's the final that I think we will struggle with especially if its away to Portugal or Italy. 

I reckon we probably have a less than 20 percent chance of qualifying which sounds negative but sadly Italy and Portugal being in the play offs has really made things tough for us. 

Even if we don't qualify we should be happy with the progress and look forward to going to euro 2024 which is a much more achieveable goal. 

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think theres a decent chance of beating those teams, especially at home.

It's the final that I think we will struggle with especially if its away to Portugal or Italy. 

I reckon we probably have a less than 20 percent chance of qualifying which sounds negative but sadly Italy and Portugal being in the play offs has really made things tough for us. 

Even if we don't qualify we should be happy with the progress and look forward to going to euro 2024 which is a much more achieveable goal. 

No offence but you are being far too defeatist with regards to Portugal and Italy.

First of all there is a 50% chance we won't even get drawn against them. If we are lets remember how we go into such matches. Portugal and Italy will be shell-shocked as they went into their last fixtures fully expecting to win and qualify directly. They did not. Italy also failed to qualify for the last World Cup - yes via a play-off which they lost against Sweden. Portugal had poor results in qualifying too against a struggling Republic of Ireland team and Azerbaijan. Will Portugal and Italy be licking their lips at the prospect of a trip to Hampden to face us with shell-shocked players whilst we are riding a wave. Definitely not.

9 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I just did a mock draw, no cheating.

Scotland v Austria.  And Sweden v Turkey.

In my rules, the winners of the matches involved with the seeded team pulled 1st, 3rd and 5th. Scotland or Austria would be seeded in the final.

The other games were italy v ukraine and Russia v North Macedonia.

Wales v Poland and Portugal v Czech Republic.

Yes please

I don't think that could happen as Russia and Ukraine would be in the same section.

It’s quite funny to read everyone’s opinions and wishes for the Semi and hopefully Final, and looking forward to actual football matches.

As opposed to the usual where would be good to go for a few days on the piss whilst going to see Scotland, although there’s nothing wrong with that either. 

There are probably some disappointed we can’t have two away matches 

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd fucking love those Welsh cunts at Hampden. 

We are due one. 

Be careful for what you wish for, admittedly they are defo due one from us but at this precise moment/time this is a fight I’d rather avoid…….

We’ve got the Home Semi-Final which is Huge and fingers crossed the draw is kind to us, to get some luck and the winner of our Semi-Final to get the home advantage (fingers crossed) 

Of the unseeded Teams, I hope we avoid Poland, Czech Republic + Turkey 

Of the seeded Teams, in the same Path as us I’d want to avoid Italy, Portugal and Wales 

But just happy to have the Home Semi-Final first and foremost, Scotland will be glued to the Tele a week Friday