Play Off Picture - Page 27 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

20 minutes ago, JandC said:

Quite glad Wales made it into the seedlings as if they hadn’t, I wouldn’t want them at Hampden as I actually think they’re a decent side now. Bit like Scotland in that they’re quite a tight unit and I’ve got a feeling it would turn into a scrappy game and home advantage would go out of the window.

We’ve also got a terrible record against them over the last 10 or so years.

I’d take Austria or North Macedonia now.

They are all decent sides. It’s the World Cup playoffs. Some are better than others of course but we have no control over it so we’ll get who we get.

If the games over the last week have proved anything it’s the big teams don’t always win. Let’s just have a right good go at whoever we get and if it’s not good enough to get us to Qatar then so be it. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In order of preference;

1. N. Macedonia. Weakest but we'd need to be wary 2. Turkey ( don't normally travel well ) and were rubbish in Euros. 3 Austria/ Ukraine can't separate them but are eminently beatable. 5. Czech's. Our loss at Euros was a bit unlucky for us + unlike us I don't feel they have kicked on since summer. 6. Poland. Lewandowski!!!!--that said they may now be too reliant on him. Check last night they rested him and they lost against a mediocre Hungary who had nothing to play for.

All in all I feel we will be confident of winning against any of the unseeds at a full Hampden and playing like we did last night.

The FIFA website is a it a bit barren for their premier tournament, I cant find anything but news and results, I want rules and clarity, if somehow we were seeded and a home draw that would be beyond favorable. 

Edited by romanticscot

3 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

The FIFA website is a it a bit barren for their premier tournament, I cant find anything but news and results, I want rules and clarity, if someone we were seeded and a home draw that would be beyond favorable. 

It’s the same rules as the last playoffs we were involved in. We are seeded and will play at home in our semi final. 

If we win our semi we might be at home  again in the final but that is just the luck of the draw same as last time. 

Edited by Texas Pete

Thanks for sharing the document, sadly I dont see where the top three seeds avoid each other, it states all six seeds are drawn in order to provide your six semi finalists with home advantage - the first two seeded teams drawn are in a bracket with one another, same with 3rd and 4th and then 5th and 6th. There also is a draw to show which semi final will provide whose winner will get home advantage for the final. 

30 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Thanks for sharing the document, sadly I dont see where the top three seeds avoid each other, it states all six seeds are drawn in order to provide your six semi finalists with home advantage - the first two seeded teams drawn are in a bracket with one another, same with 3rd and 4th and then 5th and 6th. There also is a draw to show which semi final will provide whose winner will get home advantage for the final. 

I think he was joking about that or at least hoping it would happen. 

My 1-3 seeding was wishful thinking, will be interesting to see if there is any changes to the draw plan. There’s the obvious one where Russia and Ukraine don’t meet so that will need to be accounted for.

Scotland v North Macedonia

Wales v Austria 

Then Scotland v Either Wales or Austria would be as good as it gets, but I think a Portugal or Italy away will be our potential final.

After last night two games at Hampden are winnable against any of the other eleven teams. 

One one thing for certain the Semi Final tickets won’t be £20

10 minutes ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

My 1-3 seeding was wishful thinking, will be interesting to see if there is any changes to the draw plan. There’s the obvious one where Russia and Ukraine don’t meet so that will need to be accounted for.

Scotland v North Macedonia

Wales v Austria 

Then Scotland v Either Wales or Austria would be as good as it gets, but I think a Portugal or Italy away will be our potential final.

After last night two games at Hampden are winnable against any of the other eleven teams. 

One one thing for certain the Semi Final tickets won’t be £20

If Russia and Ukraine can’t play nice they should be disqualified. 

I just did a mock draw, no cheating.

Scotland v Austria.  And Sweden v Turkey.

In my rules, the winners of the matches involved with the seeded team pulled 1st, 3rd and 5th. Scotland or Austria would be seeded in the final.

The other games were italy v ukraine and Russia v North Macedonia.

Wales v Poland and Portugal v Czech Republic.

Yes please

4 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I just did a mock draw, no cheating.

Scotland v Austria.  And Sweden v Turkey.

In my rules, the winners of the matches involved with the seeded team pulled 1st, 3rd and 5th. Scotland or Austria would be seeded in the final.

The other games were italy v ukraine and Russia v North Macedonia.

Wales v Poland and Portugal v Czech Republic.

Yes please

Lol that would be a great draw. Let's hope it happens. 

55 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The bigwigs at uefa and fifa will be sweating if the so called big teams draw each other in the final game. 

A world cup without Italy or without portugal/ronaldo is a bummer for them. 

Imagine if they both didn't make it due to us and some other Diddy team beating them.