Play Off Picture - Page 26 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

2 hours ago, sjd1972 said:

SFA, and the other associations, need to be all over the mechanics of this play off draw to ensure no shady goings on that ensure certain teams are kept apart.  I'd be asking for an inspection of the equipment and multiple rehearsals for a start.

There will be multiple rehearsals & they’ve asked the SFA for the special balls used to keep the old firm apart 😜

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I doubt there will be any hot or cold balls, as I think UEFA do enjoy having the thrill of anything could happen in international football these days.

Certainly not going to be the Euro 2004 draw where in the mock draw Scotland got Latvia, but in the main draw it just so happened all the teams who would have been seeded ended up getting all the teams that would not have ultimately being seeded

They won't want to have a WC without Portugal. More specifically without Ronaldo. Ronaldo sells merch. Simple as that.

They also don't want to have a WC without the European champions again. Especially when the European Champions are Italy. It's the main reason behind the Nations League. It gives these top teams a 2nd chance. They want to make sure these top teams are at the WC. I will be amazed if Italy and Portugal are not "drawn" in separate playoff paths.

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

They won't want to have a WC without Portugal. More specifically without Ronaldo. Ronaldo sells merch. Simple as that.

They also don't want to have a WC without the European champions again. Especially when the European Champions are Italy. It's the main reason behind the Nations League. It gives these top teams a 2nd chance. They want to make sure these top teams are at the WC. I will be amazed if Italy and Portugal are not "drawn" in separate playoff paths.

Certainly see what you are saying but that being the case they'd be looking for the easiest possible route through for them and at the moment that ain't us. 😁

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Certainly see what you are saying but that being the case they'd be looking for the easiest possible route through for them and at the moment that ain't us. 😁

Aye, it would make sense for them to wait until they have made sure that Wales haven't messed up the cunning plan, then change the rules so that seeds 1, 2 and 3 are in separate playoff paths. Seems the "fairest" way to me. 😉

If Wales do mess up the plan then they will have to resort to the hot baws technique.

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

All UEFA will want from the draw is for Italy and Portugal to be kept apart (and Netherlands if they fail to win their group) as they will assume both will come through the playoffs if that happens. Whether they will illegally manufacture this or not is debatable and doubtful but it will be interesting to see what happens in the draw. 

If we avoid Italy and Portugal then it’s game on. Even if we draw one of those 2 in our section then we still have a chance, especially if we get the possibility of a home draw in the final. 

All I have to add to this thread is to say thank goodness we won last night and don't need to scoreboard watch tonight. Just enjoy the action this evening with our feet up and cigars out......

What will be will be in the draw, no fear facing anyone actually.

The win last night also allowed me to spill some ink on the group campaign today instead of having to wait - free to read for anyone that may be interested:

https://www.spitballingpod.com/football/2021/11/16/world-cup-qualifying-scotland-plant-playoff-seed

1 hour ago, morrie21 said:

All I have to add to this thread is to say thank goodness we won last night and don't need to scoreboard watch tonight. Just enjoy the action this evening with our feet up and cigars out......

The win last night also allowed me to spill some ink on the group campaign today instead of having to wait - free to read for anyone that may be interested:

https://www.spitballingpod.com/football/2021/11/16/world-cup-qualifying-scotland-plant-playoff-seed

Nice one ; a good read !

2 hours ago, morrie21 said:

I enjoyed reading that - Thanks 👍

I understand the reasoning that Russia and Ukraine don’t play each other but surely there is a huge sporting integrity issue here if that means there cannot be an open draw. Hypothetically what would happen if they were due to meet in the knockout stages of World Cup proper?

I’d have though both countries would have to agree in advance to say play in a neutral closed door venue a certain amount of km’s from each other……Faroe Islands for example where it’s hard for fans to travel to.

18 minutes ago, Prestwickmafia said:

I understand the reasoning that Russia and Ukraine don’t play each other but surely there is a huge sporting integrity issue here if that means there cannot be an open draw. Hypothetically what would happen if they were due to meet in the knockout stages of World Cup proper?

I’d have though both countries would have to agree in advance to say play in a neutral closed door venue a certain amount of km’s from each other……Faroe Islands for example where it’s hard for fans to travel to.

I think we should go to war with Portugal and Italy, simultaneously, tomorrow, but only for six months

34 minutes ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

FThe FIFA site states the seeds 1-6 will be drawn in three pathways against non seeds 1-6

I think it be best to keep seeds 1, 2 and 3 in separate pathways.  That keeps Portugal and Italy apart and these two would safe from losing to Scotland too.

All kidding aside, that is fantastic news but you have to feel the fix is in a bit for the big boys..........oh and the Italians and the Portuguese. 

Stockholm, do you mind posting a link to that? 

Quite glad Wales made it into the seedlings as if they hadn’t, I wouldn’t want them at Hampden as I actually think they’re a decent side now. Bit like Scotland in that they’re quite a tight unit and I’ve got a feeling it would turn into a scrappy game and home advantage would go out of the window.

We’ve also got a terrible record against them over the last 10 or so years.

I’d take Austria or North Macedonia now.

23 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

All kidding aside, that is fantastic news but you have to feel the fix is in a bit for the big boys..........oh and the Italians and the Portuguese. 

Stockholm, do you mind posting a link to that? 

Hope this uploads

teq6xtba5j54gogrcemo.pdf