Play Off Picture - Page 25 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

With the home advantage will take anyone, with probably Turkey and Poland my two big "concerns"..... have a feeling in my gut that we will end up getting the Welsh, but probably North Macedonia is who I would rip your arm off for at the moment.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, wanderer said:

With the home advantage will take anyone, with probably Turkey and Poland my two big "concerns"..... have a feeling in my gut that we will end up getting the Welsh, but probably North Macedonia is who I would rip your arm off for at the moment.

Turkey seemed to be good in attack but leak goals too. Poland would be the one to avoid(at the moment) for me. However, we need fear nobody now - let others worry about us.

16 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Turkey seemed to be good in attack but leak goals too. Poland would be the one to avoid(at the moment) for me. However, we need fear nobody now - let others worry about us.

Yeah, Turkey under performed at the Euro's, but still a strong team (probably less so than Poland would be).

With Russia and Ukraine unable to be paired, I suppose that up's your odd's slightly as a seeded team of getting Ukraine, and if you do, takes away Russia from your potential seeded teams in the final.

6 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Yeah, Turkey under performed at the Euro's, but still a strong team (probably less so than Poland would be).

With Russia and Ukraine unable to be paired, I suppose that up's your odd's slightly as a seeded team of getting Ukraine, and if you do, takes away Russia from your potential seeded teams in the final.

Out of interest why can Russia not play Ukraine?

SFA, and the other associations, need to be all over the mechanics of this play off draw to ensure no shady goings on that ensure certain teams are kept apart.  I'd be asking for an inspection of the equipment and multiple rehearsals for a start.

I was at work during the match, emergency of course, just me luck. I watched bits and pieces on my phone via hesgoal. Chris Sutton I believe was doing the commentary. I believe he said even though Scotland are guaranteed a home semi at Hampden, he also said, I believe, they could possibly have the final at Hampden, should we get there.. Is this correct? I suppose it depends if other 2nd place teams lower than us get to the final.. I am by no means taking this for granted, one match at a time... Very proud if our boys, sorry I missed most of the match, but duty calls... Great reading all the positive posts...🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

2 minutes ago, sjd1972 said:

SFA, and the other associations, need to be all over the mechanics of this play off draw to ensure no shady goings on that ensure certain teams are kept apart.  I'd be asking for an inspection of the equipment and multiple rehearsals for a start.

I'd be wanting more clarification on how these 'paths' are worked out. I understand the Ukraine/Russia issue and that is fair enough but is there any reason why Portugal cannot draw Italy for example.

6 minutes ago, sjd1972 said:

They have loads of inside knowledge on historically keeping certain teams apart in Scottish cup draw so are ideally placed

5 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I was at work during the match, emergency of course, just me luck. I watched bits and pieces on my phone via hesgoal. Chris Sutton I believe was doing the commentary. I believe he said even though Scotland are guaranteed a home semi at Hampden, he also said, I believe, they could possibly have the final at Hampden, should we get there.. Is this correct? I suppose it depends if other 2nd place teams lower than us get to the final.. I am by no means taking this for granted, one match at a time... Very proud if our boys, sorry I missed most of the match, but duty calls... Great reading all the positive posts...🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

When they do the draw, on 26th Nov, they will also decide who will get home advantage for the three finals.

15 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

How does that work? Is a draw out a hat, no being funny Oraloon, genuine question... Cheers..🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Draw out of a hat, so same as Nations League where Belgrade got selected with the winner of Norway v Serbia getting to host the final.

Reading the Sky Sports link the seeds will be seeded one to six in order of their qualifying results in this campaign. 

Portugal are guaranteed to be No 1 seed. At present we will be No 2 seed though Wales could push us down to No 3 seed (the lowest we can go) but it would need Wales to win by two goals against Belgium.

58 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

How does that work? Is a draw out a hat, no being funny Oraloon, genuine question... Cheers..🙂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

No being funny 😉 but I don't think they will use a hat. Even the SFA have progressed beyond using a bunnet. 

I don't know how they will actually do it but I'm fairly certain Italy and Portugal will be kept apart, and get home ties in the final using some sort of jiggery pokery. 

Just now, Orraloon said:

No being funny 😉 but I don't think they will use a hat. Even the SFA have progressed beyond using a bunnet. 

I don't know how they will actually do it but I'm fairly certain Italy and Portugal will be kept apart, and get home ties in the final using some sort of jiggery pokery. 

No surprise there mate. Bring oan any cunt !!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

40 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Reading the Sky Sports link the seeds will be seeded one to six in order of their qualifying results in this campaign. 

Portugal are guaranteed to be No 1 seed. At present we will be No 2 seed though Wales could push us down to No 3 seed (the lowest we can go) but it would need Wales to win by two goals against Belgium.

Haven't read your link yet but does that mean that as it stands Portugal, Italy and Scotland would be in different playoff groups? That win, and that 2nd goal, last night could be even more important than I thought?

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Haven't read your link yet but does that mean that as it stands Portugal, Italy and Scotland would be in different playoff groups? That win, and that 2nd goal, last night could be even more important than I thought?

OK just read the rules.

As the rules stand at present, the top 3 seeds aren't kept apart.

It says

"The six seeded teams are allocated to semi finals 1-6 in the order drawn"

Wouldn't surprise me if they changed that though as it would give them a way to "legitimately" keep Italy and Portugal apart. If it also helps Scotland, then I am all in favour of their jiggery pokery. 😂

15 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

OK just read the rules.

It says

Wouldn't surprise me if they changed that though as it would give them a way to "legitimately" keep Italy and Portugal apart. If it also helps Scotland, then I am all in favour of their jiggery pokery. 😂

I doubt there will be any hot or cold balls, as I think UEFA do enjoy having the thrill of anything could happen in international football these days.

Certainly not going to be the Euro 2004 draw where in the mock draw Scotland got Latvia, but in the main draw it just so happened all the teams who would have been seeded ended up getting all the teams that would not have ultimately being seeded

27 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

OK just read the rules.

It says

I was half-thinking they may go down a route they used to go down where Seed 1 V Seed 6 (potentially in the final), Seed 2 V Seed 5 (potentially in the final) and Seed 3 V Seed 4 (potentially in the final). They could even have mirrored that with the unseeded so the team with worst nations league record faces Seed 1, best nations league record faces Seed 2, worst runners-up record faces seed 3, ninth worst runners up face seed 4, eighth worst runners-up face seed 5 and seventh worst runners up face seed 6.

If they had chosen to do it that way (at present) our path would be:-

Semi-Final:- Scotland V Austria Final: Scotland V Sweden. That would be a cracking path.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Out of interest why can Russia not play Ukraine?

Because they are at war unofficially, Russia keep trying to pinch parts of the Ukraine. They shot a passenger plane down with missiles a few years back, or they gave RuskiUkrainians the missiles to do it 😳