Play Off Picture - Page 21 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

1 minute ago, JandC said:

That’s not good. Wouldn’t really fancy us home or away against them. I know they’ve not been great but just looking at their squad they could be a match for any team of their day.

They have been poor tonight. And they only beat a struggling Republic of Ireland in the 96th minute at home in a group game and drew 0-0 away.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Stockholm 1980 said:

The game tomorrow is exactly what we can expect in the Semi and Final should we get there. We’re going to have to beat the likes of a Denmark if we want to get to a World Cup Finals, so we better get used to it, as that’s the level we are hoping to reach. In the next hour we all become Spain fans in the hope that it helps us Regards seeding, what a change from the last game of campaign deciding whether we finish 3rd 4th or 5th in a group.  As for the game, I think we can at least get a draw, maybe sneak a win. After the horrendous start in the away fixture and going 2-0 down we played ok, admittedly Denmark had done the job.

If thats the case then get ready for disappointment, we won't beat a team of Denmark or portugals standard.

We need a favourable draw where we get the more beatable teams if we want to stand a chance of getting to the world cup. 

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Thats true but if they get their act together in the slightest then they will put us out pretty easily. 

Not worth messing your pants over as you could say that for the majority of the teams in the play-offs. No easy games there.

Besides, tonight was a play-off for them for top spot and they lost.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Not worth messing your pants over as you could say that for the majority of the teams in the play-offs. No easy games there.

Not really, theres plenty of beatable teams in the play offs. It's not a case of wetting pants or whatever you want to call it, it's simply facts that our chances of beating a portugal or Spain to get to a world cup is extremely low. 

Edited by mccaughey85

3 minutes ago, thesaint said:

If Portugal can't win their group,why should we be shitting ourselves about playing them?We beat Serbia away,they have just lost to them at home.

Because they have amazing players and if they get their act together which they probably will then they beat us quite easily. They have underperformed hugely considering the players they have. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Not really, theres plenty in of beatable teams in the play offs. It's not a case of wetting pants or whatever you want to call it, it's simply facts that our chances of beating a portugal or Spain to get to a world cup is extremely low. 

So can you explain how they lost tonight then - at home?

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Strange things happen, I am not saying that it's impossible to beat them, I am just saying that our chances are extremely slim of us beating them. It can happen but I certainly wouldnt get my hopes up. 

Fair enough but if we want to play at World Cup Finals where we will be facing the very best teams in the world then we have to be looking at winning these sorts of games or why bother turning up in Qatar.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Fair enough but if we want to play at World Cup Finals where we will be facing the very best teams in the world then we have to be looking at winning these sorts of games or why bother turning up in Qatar.

Well for a start we won't be turning up in Qatar to win the competition. So theres your first concession. We will likely face 1 poorer team in the groups than we will face in the play offs. Many average teams make it to the world cup due to qualifying from easier continents than Europe.

End of the day our goal is to make it to the tournament, anything else is a bonus and probably unrealistic expectations going by our recent history and the strength of our current squad. 

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well for a start we won't be turning up in Qatar to win the competition. So theres your first concession. We will likely face 1 poorer team in the groups than we will face in the play offs. Many average teams make it to the world cup due to qualifying from easier continents than Europe.

End of the day our goal is to make it to the tournament, anything else is a bonus and probably unrealistic expectations going by our recent history and the strength of our current squad. 

13 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Agreed.

Serbia were superb tonight. On tonight's showing, in my opinion, they would have been as big a threat in the playoffs as Portugal.  To have to play either of these teams would be a daunting task for any team. This is the level we have to strive to reach.

Not too bothered about who we get, interesting though how others are performing. Just great to be in this position and contemplating squaring up to the higher ranked teams.

I'll be more confident if we can continue this good run and play well against Denmark. Definitely a good bit of momentum in the results at present. Just hope the yellow cards situation doesn't spoil things too much/any more than it has already.

So if we are seeded then we would be at home against either

N.Macedonia

Finland / Ukraine (Likely Ukraine)

Wales

Austria

Czech Rep 

Holland, Turkey, Norway.. (Likely Turkey)

Unseeded and we are away to either

Russia

Portugal

Sweden

Poland (Not confirmed but likely)

Wales /Czech 

Italy / Switzerland (Likely Switzerland)

12 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

The amount of knickerwetting on here is fucking hilarious. 

It's not knicker wetting, ppl are just realistic about our chances. We have made progress over the last few years but it would be a massive ask for us to beat Portugal or even a team like Switzerland who have been excellent in recent years. 

Personally I am just happy getting to the play offs, it's a big achievement for us and we should be happy with it without getting massively disappointed if we don't make it to the world cup. 

The next euros is an achieveable goal for us and we should look forward to getting there under clarke hopefully. 

7 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

So if we are seeded then we would be at home against either

N.Macedonia

Finland / Ukraine (Likely Ukraine)

Wales

Austria

Czech Rep 

Holland, Turkey, Norway.. (Likely Turkey)

Unseeded and we are away to either

Russia

Portugal

Sweden

Poland (Not confirmed but likely)

Wales /Czech 

Italy / Switzerland (Likely Switzerland)

I would want to avoid Portugal, Switzerland and Russia out of those. The rest are teams that I think we could have a decent chance against. 

We should fear any team at Hampden.  The World Cup is harder to get in to now so you have beat decent sides.  We should be going in to tomorrow’s game with a win to top the group.  Denmark are a decent side by beatable. Portugal and Spain should be bearable at home.