Play Off Picture - Page 16 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

That’s a huge risk imo. I think we need to play our full strength team regardless and keep the momentum going.

it’s an interesting one though. Would you prefer an away tie in the semis with a full squad to choose from or a home tie with some of our key players suspended?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Although a draw against Denmark is possible and a seeded draw would be ideal, I wouldnt play our key players who are on a yellow on Monday night.

I wouldnt play Robertson, McGinn or Gilmour.

Tierney can fill in at LB, meaning McKenna would prob come in at CB.

McTom can swap in for Gilmour and any number of players could play the McGinn role.

Yes it lessens our chances on Monday but we need a full strength tea for the play offs regardless of who or where we are playing.

I see what you are saying but it is a case of risk and reward. Our best chance to come through the play-offs are by being seeded and to do that we need to get a result against a damned good team and cannot see us getting that with a side with too many changes made. I kind of feel it won't be too nasty/dirty a match in any case. 

Okay we run the risk of suspensions but if we get a result and are seeded then suspension of a player or two may not harm us so much if we are drawn at home to North Macedonia for example.

14 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I see what you are saying but it is a case of risk and reward. Our best chance to come through the play-offs are by being seeded and to do that we need to get a result against a damned good team and cannot see us getting that with a side with too many changes made. I kind of feel it won't be too nasty/dirty a match in any case. 

Okay we run the risk of suspensions but if we get a result and are seeded then suspension of a player or two may not harm us so much if we are drawn at home to North Macedonia for example.

Thats about my veiw I would prefer we had a weaker team at home against a weaker team than a stronger team away against a stronger team. 

Hopefully Denmark won't be lookin for a rough game. 

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Hopefully Denmark won't be lookin for a rough game. 

Quite probable. They have already qualified so can't see them wanting to go in for too many 50-50 challenges and risking injury and that lessens the chance of things getting heated and our players getting booked. Looking at the match in Copenhagen there were no bookings in that match either.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Although a draw against Denmark is possible and a seeded draw would be ideal, I wouldnt play our key players who are on a yellow on Monday night.

I wouldnt play Robertson, McGinn or Gilmour.

Tierney can fill in at LB, meaning McKenna would prob come in at CB.

McTom can swap in for Gilmour and any number of players could play the McGinn role.

Yes it lessens our chances on Monday but we need a full strength tea for the play offs regardless of who or where we are playing.

I agree to an extent. The play offs must take priority over the fight for being seeded, but now being this close to being seeded I am torn. The terrible thing is, lets say we spare them there is still the possibility then get a yellow in the play-off seni and then miss the final if we made it. I hope someone in the SFA is reporting this through the proper channels, for everyone's sake - all yellows should be reset after the first phase of qualification. As someone above pointed out - teams who play 10 games have a disadvantage over teams who played 8  games. 

Edited by romanticscot

The Group G picture is changing at half-time in this evening's fixtures. Turkey lead 10-man Gibraltar 3-0 whilst Norway are being held 0-0 at home to Latvia. It means (currently) that Turkey are now up into a play-off spot above Norway. If those results stay the same then it means Turkey will be guaranteed at least a play-off if they win their last match on Tuesday away to Montenegro. That will leave them on 15 points in the play-off table meaning a draw should  be enough for us on Monday to finish above them (that is assuming Netherlands win the group).

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

BBC live table still has Norway ahead on GD, assuming this is accurate 

Apologies yes they are. But the last round of fixtures sees Norway travel to Netherlands (without Haaland) needing to match Turkey's result in their last match away to Montenegro. I know whose shoes I'd sooner be in.

15 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

BBC live table still has Norway ahead on GD, assuming this is accurate 

It is accurate but when you take away results/goals against Gibraltar then as it stands Norway’s GD is +2 

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Definitely but this result will not count as results against Gibraltar will be dropped.

Group.G is a 6 Team group as mentioned and results / goals against Gibraltar won’t count ! 

Living in Fantasy but if Latvia cling on for a draw, Norway lose away to Holland and Turkey fail to take all 3 points away to Montenegro then this would help Scotland secure a seeded play-off position regardless of Monday nights result (I think) 

1 minute ago, broraboy said:

Group.G is a 6 Team group as mentioned and results / goals against Gibraltar won’t count ! 

Living in Fantasy but if Latvia cling on for a draw, Norway lose away to Holland and Turkey fail to take all 3 points away to Montenegro then this would help Scotland secure a seeded play-off position regardless of Monday nights result (I think) 

No that is not the case as the Czech Republic or Wales could pip us for a seeding yet.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No that is not the case as the Czech Republic or Wales could pip us for a seeding yet.

Let’s assume Belgium beat the Welsh ( fingers crossed ) 

Then Wales or Czechs can only finish on 14 pts and currently both Wales + Czechs Goal Difference is inferior to Scotland’s when you deduct the Moldova results/goals