Play Off Picture - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

54 minutes ago, thplinth said:

The bookies have us as red hot favourites to win that game.... wow, do they not know us?! 😀

Might have to place a couple of small insurance bets just to ease the pain should the unthinkable happen.... 

Slightly more like likely to win than Liverpool were to beat West Ham or Atletico Madrid were to beat Valencia at the weekend.

A 100 times less likely to win than Atletico were to win when 3-1 up in injury time.

I really should use the cash out button.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

The bookies have us as red hot favourites to win that game.... wow, do they not know us?! 😀

Might have to place a couple of small insurance bets just to ease the pain should the unthinkable happen.... 

I've done that in the past but see when we win, I feel like a right shit, like I've cheated on my country for ever doubting them☺

Seeding analysis from We Global Football

Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 is an interesting one. If they get 4 points from their final two matches, we give them an 86.3% chance to host a playoff. With 3 points, that number drops to just 4.1%

A win over Moldova and a draw against Denmark should be enough to host a playoff.

1 minute ago, tjm007 said:

Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 is an interesting one. If they get 4 points from their final two matches, we give them an 86.3% chance to host a playoff. With 3 points, that number drops to just 4.1%

A win over Moldova and a draw against Denmark should be enough to host a playoff.

I fail to see how the result against Moldova can have any bearing on our play off seeding.  Surely the results against the bottom team, in 6 team groups, are discounted? Unless there's a possibility we can get 4 points off Denmark😁

2 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

A few fixtures down.  

I think it’s fairly certain that we’ll need to beat Moldova (obviously) and at least 1 point, possibly 3, against Denmark.  

Let’s take care of business tomorrow and set ourselves up for a big chance to upset the odds at Hampden. 

We won’t necessarily need to beat Moldova if Israel don’t beat Austria but we would need to be very lucky to be seeded if we don’t take at least a point off Denmark. 

Assuming we reach the playoffs we would need to beat Denmark to guarantee to be seeded but I think we’d need to be pretty unlucky not to be seeded if we draw with Denmark. 

56 minutes ago, todd said:

I fail to see how the result against Moldova can have any bearing on our play off seeding.  Surely the results against the bottom team, in 6 team groups, are discounted? Unless there's a possibility we can get 4 points off Denmark😁

It might if we lose to Moldova. They won’t necessarily finish bottom if that happens. 

42 minutes ago, tjm007 said:

The result in Moldova is only to see off Israel. Basically we need something from the Denmark game or we won’t be seeded.

I haven’t worked it out for sure but I think we could still be seeded if we lose to Denmark. A good few results would need to go out way though. 

2 hours ago, tjm007 said:

I like this..👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

It might if we lose to Moldova. They won’t necessarily finish bottom if that happens. 

That's why we only beat Faroes 1-0. Made it harder for Moldova to catch Faroes. 😂

If Moldova beat us 1-0 tonight and Denmark beat Faroes  6-0, then Moldova will go above Faroes.

12 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That's why we only beat Faroes 1-0. Made it harder for Moldova to catch Faroes. 😂

If Moldova beat us 1-0 tonight and Denmark beat Faroes  6-0, then Moldova will go above Faroes.

Yes but using mentality of some on here about Austria - Denmark have nothing to play for so expect sub par performance from them so they won't rack up six goals. I don't buy into that myth and is why I think Israel will be hard pressed to win in Austria. Austria will not want to go into the play-offs with a run of bad results and players will know they could be playing for their places in the side.

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I haven’t worked it out for sure but I think we could still be seeded if we lose to Denmark. A good few results would need to go out way though. 

Yes we could.

It would need Norway to pick up no more than three points in their last two games (Latvia at home and Netherlands away). Definitely possible.

It would need Poland to pick up no more than three points from their last two games (Andorra away and Hungary at home). That would be perhaps expecting a bit much and would then mean we'd need to get at least a point against Denmark and probably all three.

It would need Czech Republic to beat Estonia narrowly at home which would mean we could not afford a heavy defeat at home to Denmark.

The runners-up in Groups D (probably Ukraine) and J (probably North Macedonia cannot finish with a better record than Scotland whatever happens and the two teams qualifying from Nations League route (likely Wales and Austria) cannot now be seeded.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, todd said:

That's true but it would require a 7 goal swing, not impossible I suppose but highly unlikely

I’m not sure if it’s highly unlikely. The Faroes go to Denmark tonight and could easily get pumped 6-0. If Moldova beat us 1-0 there’s your 7 goal swing right there. It would then come down to the last games on Monday where it would likely come down to who lost least heavily in their last game. 

Let’s just beat Moldova tonight and we won’t need to worry about it. 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes we could.

It would need Norway to pick up no more than three points in their last two games (Latvia at home and Netherlands away). Definitely possible.

It would need Poland to pick up no more than three points from their last two games (Andorra away and Hungary at home). That would be perhaps expecting a bit much and would then mean we'd need to get at least a point against Denmark and probably all three.

It would need Czech Republic to beat Estonia narrowly at home which would mean we could not afford a heavy defeat at home to Denmark.

The runners-up in Groups D (probably Ukraine) and J (probably North Macedonia cannot finish with a better record than Scotland whatever happens and the two teams qualifying from Nations League route (likely Wales and Austria) cannot now be seeded.

I’m not sure it’s quite as straightforward as this because Albania could catch Poland and Wales could catch the Czechs but aye basically we need the second placed teams in those groups to have no more than 13 counting points (or 14 depending of goal difference). 

A good few draws for those teams in their last 2 games would help. 

Lets just worry about tonight first though. An unseeded playoff place is far more preferable to no play off place at all. 

If we do win tonight then we should be on a massive high going into Monday’s game at Hampden and you just never know what could happen. Nobody gave Georgia a chance of beating Sweden. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not sure it’s quite as straightforward as this because Albania could catch Poland and Wales could catch the Czechs but aye basically we need the second placed teams in those groups to have no more than 13 counting points (or 14 depending of goal difference). 

A good few draws for those teams in their last 2 games would help. 

Lets just worry about tonight first though. An unseeded playoff place is far more preferable to no play off place at all. 

If we do win tonight then we should be on a massive high going into Monday’s game at Hampden and you just never know what could happen. Nobody gave Georgia a chance of beating Sweden. 

Albania would need to possibly beat England at Wembley (not happening) and hope Poland slip up away to Andorra to be in the box seat - for me that is never happening. Yes Wales could catch the Czechs but to do that they would need to probably get at least a draw at home to Belgium - unlikely.

Of course tonight is crucial. I will take a win of any sort to keep the momentum going and confidence up for Monday.

Hojbjerg now also pulled out of Denmark's game against faroes due a knock he got against Everton. (Thank you Mason Holgate). I would doubt he will be rushed back for Hampden given its basically a friendly for the Danes.

No Andersen, Braithwaite, Dolberg, Damsgaard and obviously Eriksen either. 

They will still be able to put a very strong team especially in defence but not as strong as they could be. 

Big decision for Clarke is should he risk players on a booking if we do the business in Moldova. 

Edited by Templeton_Peck

16 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Hojbjerg now also pulled out of Denmark's game against faroes due a knock he got against Everton. (Thank you Mason Holgate). I would doubt he will be rushed back for Hampden given its basically a friendly for the Danes.

No Andersen, Braithwaite, Dolberg, Damsgaard and obviously Eriksen either. 

They will still be able to put a very strong team especially in defence but not as strong as they could be. 

Big decision for Clarke is should he risk players on a booking if we do the business in Moldova. 

We need to get a result against Denmark. Unfortunately, we have so many players walking a tightrope we cannot leave them all out. On a booking for us so far we have O'Donnell, Hendry, Nisbet, Adams, McGinn, Robertson, Gilmour, Patterson and McTominay so you see we cannot go leaving them all out. Obviously, if things went really well V Denmark and we got into a 2-0 lead say then we could afford to then protect those key players by substituting them.

52 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We need to get a result against Denmark. Unfortunately, we have so many players walking a tightrope we cannot leave them all out. On a booking for us so far we have O'Donnell, Hendry, Nisbet, Adams, McGinn, Robertson, Gilmour, Patterson and McTominay so you see we cannot go leaving them all out. Obviously, if things went really well V Denmark and we got into a 2-0 lead say then we could afford to then protect those key players by substituting them.

I think we have to play our strongest possible team, the unseeded teams look far weaker than the seeded ones for the playoffs.

Should only really think about taking players of if we are 2-0 down.

A 2-0 lead in the 92nd minute and I still wouldn't be taking players off.