Play Off Picture - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Whatever happens it is a chance to gauge our progressshould we make the play-offs (seeded or unseeded).

We will get drawn against a team (likely a team originally from pot 2). These are the teams we need to be getting results against in future campaigns to be in with a chance of qualifying. We are currently a pot three team so we are punching above our weight and improving. If we can force our way into pot two our chances of qualifying improve.

We could easily be in pot 2 for the next Euro qualifiers if we have a decent Nations League next year which would (theoretically at least) make us one of the two favourites in the group to qualify automatically. 

Dare we dream of qualifying for 3 tournaments in a row after 23 years of pain? 

I need to stop getting ahead of myself. 😂

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This campaign was really all about progress and becoming a pot 2 team and qualifying for the 2024 euros.

Qualification for Qatar is still a long way off and will be very difficult.

Remember it's only 13 teams from Europe that qualify.

This time last year we were 24th in Europe (last to qualify for 24team euros)

We are up to 21st? In Europe after euros.

A win in Moldova and a good draw in the playoff semi.....

Then we will see.

1 minute ago, Archiesdad said:

This campaign was really all about progress and becoming a pot 2 team and qualifying for the 2024 euros.

Then we will see.

How were we last to qualify for the Euros? Other than the fact that our game went to penalties? We were ranked higher than at least North Macedonia at the time. 

I personally don’t think we will qualify for the World Cup but a lot will depend on the luck of the draw. If we are seeded and get lucky in the draw with a potential final at Hampden and avoid one of the big guns then we do have a chance. 

Let’s just hope we do the business and beat Moldova next month.

I’ve looked at this potential Play Off situation too much these last few days and if we get the required results whether we’re seeded or not, to date the results have been good albeit narrow wins, late goals, our first experiences of VAR working correctly each time in our favour. It all balances itself out and so far we’ve had a few breaks for the first time in a while. I’ve a feeling we’ll qualify for the Playoffs, but be waiting on the Wales Belgium match to see if we are a seed or not. Here’s hoping.

58 minutes ago, Archiesdad said:

Then we will see.

I think it’s a really good point. Moving to pot 2 could be huge for us for future tournament qualifications. We should be qualifying for a 24 team Euros as a minimum requirement.

Qualifying for the World Cup is fucking hard. But if we establish ourselves in pot 2, we’re in the mix. Sometimes we’ll get there, other times not. Other small European countries like Switzerland and Croatia are serial qualifiers. That should be the aim.

29 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I think it’s a really good point. Moving to pot 2 could be huge for us for future tournament qualifications. We should be qualifying for a 24 team Euros as a minimum requirement.

Qualifying for the World Cup is fucking hard. But if we establish ourselves in pot 2, we’re in the mix. Sometimes we’ll get there, other times not. Other small European countries like Switzerland and Croatia are serial qualifiers. That should be the aim.

The biggest thing about moving to pot 2 for me is not so much an easier draw. If we move up, someone else that we may previously have worried about moves down. Only have to look at Austria / Scotland / Israel to see that there’s not always much between teams. 

The biggest thing that pot 2 would signify is that we’re winning more games and heading in the right direction. That would bode well. 

We are currently ranked 25th in Europe and 44th in the World.  If memory is correct, the Nations league placement determines your Euro qualification placement and FIFA rankings for World Cup draws.  Ten group qualification groups once again, we are Nations League ranked 23rd, we need a good showing in this next Nations league to get us into the top 20 spots to be in a shout of being a pot two team.

Iceland (on decline), Finland and Norway are ranked above us - so win our League B or finish the best 2nd place team out of all League B groups and we will be pot 2 for EURO 2024 qualification. 

We will be drawn with one from each of the following groups.

Ukraine, Sweden, 'Bosnia and Herzegovina' or Iceland

Russia, ISRAEL, Romania, Serbia or Rep of Ireland

Slovenia, Montenegro, Albania or Armenia

Right now, I would take Bosnia and Herzegovina , Rep of Ireland and Armenia

16 minutes ago, RabtheBruce said:

I didn’t think we could get Russia. Assuming that’s the case, we’d be in with a good shout of being very competitive against any of the teams we draw and winning the group. I’m utterly desperate for us to be at Germany '24. It will be brilliant!

We can’t get Russia as we are both in pot 2 in League B.

Crazy really when you consider how they battered us a couple of years ago. 

30 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We can’t get Russia as we are both in pot 2 in League B.

Crazy really when you consider how they battered us a couple of years ago. 

Aye, our results have improved considerably. I still wouldn’t fancy our chances of topping a group including Russia, but we’d give them a closer run for their money than two defeats, aggregating 6-2 tae them. A lot of beatable teams as potential opponents, but we could also be drawn in a section with Sweden and Serbia, which would be tough, if not insurmountable.

12 hours ago, Toepoke said:

We'll also be seeded if we only take 3 points as long as they're off of Denmark 😁

I was thinking the very same today, but not sure how we'll fare after getting pumped in Moldova and the long flight home 🤢 .

7 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I was thinking the very same today, but not sure how we'll fare after getting pumped in Moldova and the long flight home 🤢 .

By only taking 3 more points would take us to 20 points ( less 6 points ) meaning Scotland would be on 14 points, this guarantee’s 2nd place but doesn’t guarantee Scotland being a seeded 2nd placed Team ! 

18 minutes ago, broraboy said:

By only taking 3 more points would take us to 20 points ( less 6 points ) meaning Scotland would be on 14 points, this guarantee’s 2nd place but doesn’t guarantee Scotland being a seeded 2nd placed Team ! 

Not if those 3 points were taken from Denmark. We’d have 17 points in the second place table. 

Unless Moldova pump us 5-0 or something and overtake the Faroes. 

Edited by Texas Pete

13 minutes ago, broraboy said:

Ah, but you're forgetting that if we have lost to Moldova, then we have only 3 points to drop.   There is method in our madness 😁

7 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Not if those 3 points were taken from Denmark. We’d have 17 points in the second place table. 

Unless Moldova pump us 5-0 or something and overtake the Faroes. 

I can see that now, cheers 👍

Would fill me with fear if we had to take 3 pts from that final game…… 

Take care of Moldova and we’re one step closer ! 

If we beat Moldova then let the chips fall where they may. A win against Moldova (which would be our fourth in a row) and we can go into the Denmark game with no expectations and just play.

Beat Moldova and no matter what the outcome after that I would consider this one of our best (failed) attempts and we can accept it with our heads held high.

But beat Moldova first. That is an absolute must. See this through now and see what happens... we might get lucky (what am I saying). 😀

edit: if we beat Moldova that would be 7 wins out of the last 8 games with the only loss to Denmark.

Edited by thplinth

On 10/13/2021 at 8:37 AM, thplinth said:

They will fancy their chances against us for sure. They like everyone else know we often fail to show up at these type of games. 

We are a bit of a schizophrenic side in that against the better teams we play quite well and against the lesser teams we play quite shite. Who are we? 😀

We are sort of like the footballing equivalent of Dr Jekyll and Mr Pish. Just depends on whether Steve Clarke has imbued his magic potion or not. 😀 

Although honestly it seems to be the whole team as well. Maybe it is time we got a shit-hot sports psychologist in to sort this crap out. Hypno-toad them into thinking they are Maradona or something. It is maddening watching it swing from one game to the next. 

The difference in psyche between us and Wales would be fascinating to understand.  Following their draw in Prague they’d essentially got a similar task as us needing 6 points from Estonia (a); Belarus (h) and; Belgium (h) so fuck one up and they need something off the top seed.  Their manager ahead of the Estonia away game said in his conference they’d respect their opponents then in the next sentence called them a footballing backwater that an established team like them should be beating.  They were subsequently pretty much as crap as us and pinched a 0-1 but remained confident/ arrogant they’ll get the remaining 3 points needed. 

We on the other hand gave Faroes respect in the build-up deserved without some overblown sense of our ability but then overdid it  translating on to the pitch to the point we allowed them to look tactically and technically better than us for at least 60 minutes.  They’re a nation of 30,000 folk who on their  day are capable of frustrating middling sides and nicking a result if things fall for them – completely different thing here though when they actually deserved a result as the better team!

Wales will go into the next game vs Belarus bullish they’ll do it without much fuss as they seem borderline delusional in their ability whereas wouldn’t  be surprised if we turn out a nervy performance where Moldova grow in confidence with nowt to lose then; we end up tuning into Austria  for a favour and/or needing something v Denmark. 

Beating a side like Moldova away to make things easy for ourselves seems to go against our DNA and if we manage it would show real progress mentally.        

For what it's worth (not a lot) I don't think we'll be lucky enough to be seeded in the playoffs. I predict:

Seeds: Sweden, Serbia, Switzerland, Poland, Russia & Turkey.

Non-seeds: Scotland, Czech Republic, Ukraine, Romania, Wales & Austria.

44 minutes ago, Davied14 said:

For what it's worth (not a lot) I don't think we'll be lucky enough to be seeded in the playoffs. I predict:

That won’t be too far off the mark ! 

The only group that gives us a glimmer of hope in possibly getting that seeded 2nd place is Group.G 

For Scotland to get that seeding, a number of results have to happen !! 
Scotland beat Moldova and take at least a point of Denmark (this might not be required depending on results from Group.G but typically this game is after we play Denmark) see below 

Group.G

Tuesday 16th Nov - hope Holland beat Norway and also 

Tuesday 16th Nov - Montenegro v Turkey play each other, which will be decisive! Turkey win they are on 15pts, if Turkey draw then Norway are 2nd placed on 14pts Scotland have the better GD so would edge out Turkey…..

Ultimately it’s still in Scotland’s hands and like many have I written off our chances against Denmark at home, possibly 🙁 

But I’ll fill my glass back up and say that we will get a result in that final game and the Play-Offs will consist of 

Seeds : 

Sweden, Serbia, Switzerland, Russia, Poland + Scotland 

Unseeded

Romania, Bosnia, Czech Republic, Turkey/Norway (Wales + Austria ) 

Edited by broraboy

4 hours ago, Davied14 said:

That won't be far off I reckon. How would I see our chances against any of those opponents?

Sweden (Hmm tough one to call but would rather avoid)

Serbia (We saw last time that we can't get a result against them but that was behind closed doors. I'd have hope though.)

Switzerland (A team that are deceptively stronger than they look. Wouldn't fancy us to beat them.)

Poland (Not a lost cause. I'd fancy us to beat them over others but it would still be tough.)

Russia (No thanks. One to avoid.)

Turkey (I'd take them. We'd stand a decent chance Id think.)

Czech Republic (Cut out silly errors as in the Euros and we'd be in with a shout. Sooner avoid though.)

Ukraine (I'd fancy our chances against them. Not a great deal to fear about them.)

Romania (A team on the rise - a bit like us. I'd still expect us to beat them.)

Wales (Sooner avoid but I'd hold hope of us getting a result against them.)

Austria (We've shown in these group fixtures we have the taking of them. Won in Vienna and should have won at Hampden.)

6 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Would love to get those Welsh cunts at hampden. 

That brings back bad memories of the last time we played them at Hampden. Wouldn't mind getting them this time round, though. Probably more chance of us getting them away, maybe? I wonder if they'll move it to Annfield? 😂

I'm not too fussy who we get as long as we are in the playoffs.