Play Off Picture - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And, if I understand it correctly, the teams getting to the play-offs through the Nations League route will not be seeded either.

My maths and understanding are crud but I worked it out last night we stand seventh in seeding of the twelve potential teams. However, our next couple of games could force us further up into the top six so all is not lost.

However, I am much in the mind of Texas Pete right now of lets just get second place confirmed - that is the most important thing. If we miss out on being seeded well we hang on to that Serbia away play-off which we came through last year which tells us an away tie is not curtains. Also finishing second (regardless of what follows) helps us in our bid to climb up the seeding pots.

We are still 5th in that table. We can improve on that tonight but unless we take something off Denmark that’s as good as we’ll get and other teams can overtake us. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're looking like an exciting decent unit forming but I'm still trying my best to not get too carried away as these next two fixtures have the potential for classic Scotland written all over them.  Hopefully we're going into the Denmark game with a free shot at them with the benefit of possibly better seeding and not going into it needing to win or not lose to secure second. 

Think  Austria are going to play a massive part still in second as they're last chance saloon vs Denmark tonight outside of the Nations League so might have the shackles off for an upset.  If they do then you'd imagine it would spur them on to beat Israel - if they get beat tonight then maybe they consider a new coach in for the Israel game to get momentum for the playoffs via the back door of the Nations League.   

20 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

We're looking like an exciting decent unit forming but I'm still trying my best to not get too carried away as these next two fixtures have the potential for classic Scotland written all over them.  Hopefully we're going into the Denmark game with a free shot at them with the benefit of possibly better seeding and not going into it needing to win or not lose to secure second. 

Think  Austria are going to play a massive part still in second as they're last chance saloon vs Denmark tonight outside of the Nations League so might have the shackles off for an upset.  If they do then you'd imagine it would spur them on to beat Israel - if they get beat tonight then maybe they consider a new coach in for the Israel game to get momentum for the playoffs via the back door of the Nations League.   

Denmark will blow Austria away. 

What we really want is for Austria to lose tonight and then to beat Israel next month. That would mean 3 points from our last 3 games would be enough for second which would give us a bit of leeway and allow for our usual balls up of slipping up to a team we should beat. 

Edited by Texas Pete

I figured Ukraine would be doing far better than they are, 5 draws.  I am hoping we add a healthy amount to our GD today but the objectives are finish 2nd and be seeded.

Here is a question, when last were we involved in a World Cup play off?  I was mistaken and thought the 2003 play-off v Netherlands but that was for Euros.  Have we ever had a play-off to get to a World Cup? 

I had to look this up, Mexico 86, we played Australia via an inter-continental play-off. How on earth did that happen, there were also UEFA play-offs - this I need to look into but anyway I answered my own question.  Its been over 30 years since we have been involved in a  World Cup play-off. 

Edited by romanticscot

6 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I figured Ukraine would be doing far better than they are, 5 draws.  I am hoping we add a healthy amount to our GD today but the objectives are finish 2nd and be seeded.

Here is a question, when last were we involved in a World Cup play off?  I was mistaken and thought the 2003 play-off v Netherlands but that was for Euros.  Have we ever had a play-off to get to a World Cup? 

I had to look this up, Italia 90, we played Australia via an inter-continental play-off. How on earth did that happen, there were also UEFA play-offs - this I need to look into but anyway I answered my own question.  Its been over 30 years since we have been involved in a  World Cup play-off. 

Australia 1985?

2 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I had made a mistake, you are correct.  We were the third place team, and got what I believe to have been an easier route over the two top seeds who played on another

We also got knocked of the 1962 WC in a playoff with Czechoslovakia. They went on to finish runners-up, losing to Brasil in the final.

21 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I had made a mistake, you are correct.  We were the third place team, and got what I believe to have been an easier route over the two top seeds who played on another

For Mexico 86 it was predetermined when we were drawn in a 4 team group that the runner up would be in an intercontinental playoff with the Oceania group winner.

Unless I’m misunderstanding the process, isn’t the seeding thing a bit of a red herring? Even if we managed to avoid one of the “bigger” teams in the semi through seeding, we’d still have to beat one in the final anyway wouldn’t we? I also think the final 2nd placed teams will only contain a couple that we should fear. 

Edited by Marky

1 minute ago, Marky said:

Unless I’m misunderstanding the process, isn’t the seeding thing a bit of a red herring? Even if we managed to avoid one of the “bigger” teams in the semi through seeding, we’d still have to beat one in the final anyway wouldn’t we? I also think the final 2nd placed teams will only contain a couple that we should fear. 

The big thing is getting home advantage in the semi final.

3 hours ago, Marky said:

I see your point we could get Czech Republic at home as a seed , we know how well that went last time 

6 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Still possible Portugal , Spain and Italy could end up in the play offs, i am assuming there will be some kind of seeding of the seeds.

they won’t risk 2 of these 3 meeting each other in a play off final

According to wikipedia the seeded teams will be equally ranked in the draw, but it wouldn't be the first time FIFA/UEFA have changed the rules at a late stage. 

10 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Up to third in the seeding table after tonight but the only additional points we can get are from Denmark. 

Denmark didn’t exactly batter Austria tonight so they are not indestructible although I didn’t see the game so don’t know exactly how the game went.

Assuming we beat Moldova we can play with freedom and have a right go at Denmark and hopefully get at least a point. 

4 hours ago, Marky said:

Better to be seeded than not. We would also be at home in the playoff semis and could get lucky in the draw and be at home in the final. 

Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Seeding

1 A Portugal 6 5 1 0 16 4 +12 16 Seeded in semi-final draw

2 C Switzerland 6 4 2 0 10 1 +9 14

3 F Scotland 7 4 2 1 12 7 +5 14

4 B Spain 6 4 1 1 13 5 +8 13

5 I Poland 6 3 2 1 13 7 +6 11

6 H Croatia 6 3 2 1 9 3 +6 11

7 E Czech Republic 7 3 2 2 12 9 +3 11 Unseeded in semi-final draw

8 G Norway 6 3 2 1 7 5 +2 11

9 J Romania 7 3 1 3 9 8 +1 10

10 D Ukraine 7 1 6 0 9 8 +1 9

Looking at that it does seem like we will probably need something from the Denmark game to be seeded.

#wales are on the same points as Czech Republic but have a game in hand.

5 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Seeding

1 A Portugal 6 5 1 0 16 4 +12 16 Seeded in semi-final draw

2 C Switzerland 6 4 2 0 10 1 +9 14

3 F Scotland 7 4 2 1 12 7 +5 14

4 B Spain 6 4 1 1 13 5 +8 13

5 I Poland 6 3 2 1 13 7 +6 11

6 H Croatia 6 3 2 1 9 3 +6 11

7 E Czech Republic 7 3 2 2 12 9 +3 11 Unseeded in semi-final draw

8 G Norway 6 3 2 1 7 5 +2 11

9 J Romania 7 3 1 3 9 8 +1 10

10 D Ukraine 7 1 6 0 9 8 +1 9

Looking at that it does seem like we will probably need something from the Denmark game to be seeded.

#wales are on the same points as Czech Republic but have a game in hand.

Denmark will hopefully have a few call offs now they have qualified. A 100% record and conceding no goals is a good incentive but it’s not as good an incentive as playing for a seeded spot in the playoffs or even the playoffs themselves if we don’t beat Moldova. 

Bring them on. 

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Denmark will hopefully have a few call offs now they have qualified. A 100% record and conceding no goals is a good incentive but it’s not as good an incentive as playing for a seeded spot in the playoffs or even the playoffs themselves if we don’t beat Moldova. 

Bring them on. 

I think if we get the result we hope for and should definitely get against Moldova, then the crowd will be insane against Denmark.

A full rocking Hampden would massively help us in going for a positive result against Denmark. Especially if they know a win could get us a home game in the semis of the playoffs.

Roll on November.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

I’d obviously be happy for us to not have to worry about the Denmark game but as long as we take care of business vs Moldova, I’m happy to see us against Denmark. There’ll be something on the line but almost a free hit as well so would be interested to see us have a go at the game. 

Let’s take care of Moldova first. 

11 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Thought it was Spain and us 1 and 2

wales ( where we drew last game to end their hopes ) and iceland