Play Off Picture - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

8 minutes ago, broraboy said:

Exactly ! 

Hammer them both, well more so the Faroes as Goal Difference against the Faroe Islands counts and puts us in a better position 👍 

That bit only helps us if Faroes don't finish bottom of the group. If we score too many against them that might just help that to happen. I think we should stop at 5-0 just to be on the safe side. 😉🤣

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That bit only helps us if Faroes don't finish bottom of the group. If we score too many against them that might just help that to happen. I think we should stop at 5-0 just to be on the safe side. 😉🤣

Unless something ridiculous happens Moldova aren’t going to get 3 points to catch the Faroes. 

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I'd forgotten we absolutely hammered Moldova at Hampden.  How can anything possibly go wrong in the away game?

I must be suffering amnesia. Pretty certain we beat Moldova at Hampden. You seem to be hinting that they were robbed and that they have hidden star players to bring in for the game against us exclusively that will get them their first win ever over us.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I must be suffering amnesia. Pretty certain we beat Moldova at Hampden. You seem to be hinting that they were robbed and that they have hidden star players to bring in for the game against us exclusively that will get them their first win ever over us.

Also, yes, it was only 1-0, but we vastly outplayed them. The general concern after that match was our striker situation and that we aren't scoring enough. Hopefully, with scoring 3 goals against Israel, the hoodoo is off our back, and the goals will start flowing again.

8 hours ago, Orraloon said:

You mean like Scotland losing in Moldova? Aye, right enough, ridiculous things like that never happen, ever. 😂

If we lose in Moldova we can probably forget about reaching the playoffs so goal difference will likely count for nothing anyway. 

3 minutes ago, TartanSpice said:

Results tonight mean it's a little bit more likely that we'll need to take a point off Denmark in the last game to stand a chance of getting a seeded place. Hopefully we'll get some better results to help us out tomorrow night.

To be honest all I care about right now is doing enough to get second place. If we’re seeded then great but all we can do is try to win our next two games, see how things stand and then give it a real good go against Denmark and see what happens.

36 minutes ago, tjm007 said:

A draw for Austria tomorrow would mean the Danes aren’t going for 10/10 and will care less at Hampden.

If Austria get anything in Denmark I’ll be shocked. 

Surely we are more likely to take something off Denmark at Hampden than Austria are away from home even if they want to finish with a 100% record?

Norway and Russia winning didn’t help Scotland reference seeding for Play-Offs 

9 hours ago, tjm007 said:

Not much help tonight for the seeding race. Norway, Russia, Romania all winning.

However, Romania winning last night was exactly the result Scotland wanted over Armenia!! 
Group J will now have one of the lowest 2nd seeds, with Romania being that team I’d say.
Romania currently on 13pts can only reach 19pts but 6pts against the 6th placed team will be deducted 

38 minutes ago, broraboy said:

Norway and Russia winning didn’t help Scotland reference seeding for Play-Offs 

However, Romania winning last night was exactly the result Scotland wanted over Armenia!! 
Group J will now have one of the lowest 2nd seeds, with Romania being that team I’d say.
Romania currently on 13pts can only reach 19pts but 6pts against the 6th placed team will be deducted 

And, if I understand it correctly, the teams getting to the play-offs through the Nations League route will not be seeded either.

My maths and understanding are crud but I worked it out last night we stand seventh in seeding of the twelve potential teams. However, our next couple of games could force us further up into the top six so all is not lost.

However, I am much in the mind of Texas Pete right now of lets just get second place confirmed - that is the most important thing. If we miss out on being seeded well we hang on to that Serbia away play-off which we came through last year which tells us an away tie is not curtains. Also finishing second (regardless of what follows) helps us in our bid to climb up the seeding pots.

32 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

My maths and understanding are crud but I worked it out last night we stand seventh in seeding of the twelve potential teams. However, our next couple of games could force us further up into the top six so all is not lost.

However, I am much in the mind of Texas Pete right now of lets just get second place confirmed - that is the most important thing. If we miss out on being seeded well we hang on to that Serbia away play-off which we came through last year which tells us an away tie is not curtains. Also finishing second (regardless of what follows) helps us in our bid to climb up the seeding pots.

100% Scotland to focus on that 2nd spot and to secure this before the Danes come to Hampden next month! 
Win our next 2 games a must but if we lost our final group game to Denmark it would IMO leave us unseeded ( most likely 7th as mentioned ) 

Someone mentioned earlier, if Austria can scrap an away draw in Denmark tonight then they won’t be gunning for that perfect 10 wins when visiting us next Month. 

However, if Scotland scrap a draw against the Danes (provided we take those 6pts prior) then this would most certainly ensure a Semi-Final at Hampden…… 

I would not want the runner up of the Spain group or the Croatia group so would be nice to try and get seeded.

Albania v Poland is a key game tonight

Austria are in almost certainly via nations league anyway , as it’s two from three of Wales/Czech Republic and Austria 

Edited by DAVIDB46

At the moment we’re sitting 5th in the 2nd place seedings and there’s actually 3 groups that should definitely be below us if we can beat the Faroes and Moldova and confirm 2nd place so it’s looking quite positive just now.

1 minute ago, JandC said:

At the moment we’re sitting 5th in the 2nd place seedings and there’s actually 3 groups that should definitely be below us if we can beat the Faroes and Moldova and confirm 2nd place so it’s looking quite positive just now.

Where are you seeing that? Does it take into account the bottom placed teams results coming off?