Play Off Picture - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

10 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Albania got a decent chance of knocking Poland out for 2nd spot in England's group. Beat them at home on Tuesday and they'll be 4 points ahead with 2 games to play so pretty much done.

I assume that will impact on things as Poland still high in the world rankings so would be pretty certain seeds while Albania obviously wouldn't be (and are far more beatable).

Typing all this not having a clue if Poles have a backdoor route already through nations league.

Poland can't get in through the Nations League.

I am very confident that Albania won't get second place.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Important thing now is winning against the Faroes on Tuesday.

Home advantage in the playoffs should be the goal as it’s achievable but the playoff will be tough with just 3 teams going through from 12 so there’ll be some really decent teams that miss out.

Will be interesting to see what Clarke does on Tuesday now with his team selection as Hanley will surely go straight back into the side.

He might just play with one striker and load the midfield. 

Looking forward to it even though I never really enjoy these types of games as we never look that assured in them. Hopefully last night’s 2nd half performance will continue and we get at them from kick off.

14 minutes ago, JandC said:

Important thing now is winning against the Faroes on Tuesday.

Home advantage in the playoffs should be the goal as it’s achievable but the playoff will be tough with just 3 teams going through from 12 so there’ll be some really decent teams that miss out.

Will be interesting to see what Clarke does on Tuesday now with his team selection as Hanley will surely go straight back into the side.

He might just play with one striker and load the midfield. 

Looking forward to it even though I never really enjoy these types of games as we never look that assured in them. Hopefully last night’s 2nd half performance will continue and we get at them from kick off.

For me 2nd place is still the main goal. Israel could still pip us at the post if we slip up an the next two games.

Fortunately the way to achieve both is the same - win the next two games then just really have a go at getting something from Denmark. I'm not convinced we will win the next two games. 

It's OK for the fans to get carried away and enjoy the moment after such a great game last night. But I'm sure Clarke won't be. It was a fantastic second half but if we play like we did in the first half then anybody could beat us, including Faroes or Moldova.

There's a realistic possibility we can secure second with just a win against the Faroes.  If we get 3 points on Tuesday night and Denmark beat Austria (which they likely will) and Austria then beat Israel at home in November then if my maths is right neither of them can catch us.  Obviously we want as many points as possible for the seeding but those results aren't that outlandish so 2nd place is getting closer.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

You're not wrong, but Denmark have not just won every game, they haven't even conceded a goal. Has any team ever gone a full qualifying campaign with that happening? If they still have that record going into our game, it might give them a bit of incentive to avoid defeat, at least.

Fingers crossed it's a dead rubber for both and we are already seeded 2nd place.

Did England not do that recently?

J

18 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

There's a realistic possibility we can secure second with just a win against the Faroes.  If we get 3 points on Tuesday night and Denmark beat Austria (which they likely will) and Austria then beat Israel at home in November then if my maths is right neither of them can catch us.  Obviously we want as many points as possible for the seeding but those results aren't that outlandish so 2nd place is getting closer.

I think Israel will beat Austria. 

Israel will finish on 19 points, is my guess. So we need at least 5 points. I don't want to be going into the last game needing at least a point off Denmark and looking at how many goals Israel are piling in against against Faroes. We need 6 points from our next two games. But that wouldn't be the Scotland way. 

4 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Is it not “win the next two games and we are in the playoffs”?

Regardless of any result against Denmark in the final game.

J

Aye that is correct. But we never do it the straightforward way.

We will get 4 point from the next two games then it's squeaky bum time again. 

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

Aye that is correct. But we never do it the straightforward way.

We will get 4 point from the next two games then it's squeaky bum time again. 

I’m going for 6 points.

With us qualifying for the playoffs in Chisinau. (Party on!)

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

5 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

I’m going for 6 points.

With us qualifying for the playoffs in Chisinau. (Party on!)

J

That would be great, but how confident are you that will happen?

Would you have given the same answer at half time last night? 😂

what it needs now is professionalism the moment the squad left that stadium i hope they had forgot the Israel game and laser like focus on the Faroes. I heard on Radio Scotland Neil McCann saying the players should be up watching the Fury game with some beers, in my very humble opinion absolute madness why when we have a game in 3 days would the players be up till 5 in the morning having a few beers - we beat Israel was a great game and result but at home against a team seeded below us thats what we should have expected, no need to get carried away as that and the Austrian results as good as they were may end up meaning nothing if we slip up in the next 2 games  

If we train and prepare professionally, have done the homework on the Faroes and Moldovans and go out work hard, play the strategy and dont underestimate the opposition or get ahead of ourselves i think we'll get the 2 wins we need

Lets hope the players havent replicated the evening after the Serbia game 

49 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That would be great, but how confident are you that will happen?

Would you have given the same answer at half time last night? 😂

I thought we’d blown the playoffs after drawing with Austria and Israel at the start.

I’m over the moon to still be proved wrong. 

At the start of the campaign if told “you’d get the playoffs if you beat Faroes and Moldova away” I’d have bitten your arm off. 

J

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I think Israel will beat Austria. 

Israel will finish on 19 points, is my guess. So we need at least 5 points. I don't want to be going into the last game needing at least a point off Denmark and looking at how many goals Israel are piling in against against Faroes. We need 6 points from our next two games. But that wouldn't be the Scotland way. 

I’m not sure Israel will go to Austria and win. Israel are decent at home and although they always give us a good game at Hampden they don’t really travel well. They’ve never beaten us in Glasgow despite dominating us in their home games in the last 3 years. If they were as good away from home as they were in Israel they wouldn’t be ranked 80th in the world. 

The only thing that worries me is Austria will likely be eliminated by then and will have very little to play for except pride.

19 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not sure Israel will go to Austria and win. Israel are decent at home and although they always give us a good game at Hampden they don’t really travel well. They’ve never beaten us in Glasgow despite dominating us in their home games in the last 3 years. If they were as good away from home as they were in Israel they wouldn’t be ranked 80th in the world. 

The only thing that worries me is Austria will likely be eliminated by then and will have very little to play for except pride.

It's a strange one for Austria. They've already got a playoff spot and all they are playing for is the possibility of getting a seeded playoff spot. They know that they can only get that now by beating Denmark. They might just go fuk it we might as well go all out for a win in Denmark and if they get humped it makes no real difference. By the time they play Israel they will know one way or the other.

The main reason that I think Israel will win though, is that I think Israel are a better team. The fact that they have much more to play for might also come into it?

26 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It's a strange one for Austria. They've already got a playoff spot and all they are playing for is the possibility of getting a seeded playoff spot. They know that they can only get that now by beating Denmark. They might just go fuk it we might as well go all out for a win in Denmark and if they get humped it makes no real difference. By the time they play Israel they will know one way or the other.

The main reason that I think Israel will win though, is that I think Israel are a better team. The fact that they have much more to play for might also come into it?

They’re hardly a much better team than Austria. They have the same number of points as Austria and are ranked well below them. 

Austria are obviously not playing very well at the moment but that could be different next month. I do agree that Israel will likely be slight favourites to win, especially if Austria are already eliminated but I am hoping it will be a draw. 

Win our next 2 games and it won’t matter anyway so fingers crossed that happens. 

46 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Well Austria will have their seedings to fight for. If they capitulate and finish fourth in the group they run the risk of slipping down into the third pot in the future.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Not sure but I think, at present, it is just out of our reach. It does mean we have consolidated our position as third seeds though providing we finish second in this group.

Cheers 👍, I think this squad that we are assembling can push to become a Pot 2 team in the coming years. 

3 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Cheers 👍, I think this squad that we are assembling can push to become a Pot 2 team in the coming years. 

I've not seen the rankings updated since we beat Austria. They are a higher seeded team, so surely we'll move up a fair bit. Aside from that, we've only lost one game this whole campaign. I know that doesn't tell the whole story, but I don't think we've had many (any?) better campaigns this millennium.

5 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I've not seen the rankings updated since we beat Austria. They are a higher seeded team, so surely we'll move up a fair bit. Aside from that, we've only lost one game this whole campaign. I know that doesn't tell the whole story, but I don't think we've had many (any?) better campaigns this millennium.

Finishing 2nd in the group will surely jump us a few places up the rankings