Play Off Picture - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, stocky said:

Is it possible to get a seeded/home draw? what would we need?

is it possible we could get Austria in Play Off

or Wales eeeeekk  

If we're seeded there's a very good chance we could get Wales/Czechs or Austria at Hampden. 

Preferable to being away to the Netherlands or Russia though!

Yes. We really need to get into the top 6 of the 2nd place (if we make it) as home advantage would be huge for us.

At the moment Group D looks certain to have one of the lowest points scoring for 2nd place (Ukraine with 5 draws from 5 games). We just need another 3 groups to beat!

Ireland getting it hat draw against Serbia was good for us as well and it would also be good if England could beat Poland tonight.

Looking for as many draws as possible for teams in the other groups and at least 3 wins for us.

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

After last night we don't need to blooter them any more, just win. No one below us can catch us if we do.

There will be temptation to rest on our laurels after last night. We have had these performances before (the double over France) and the away leg at Wembley many moons ago now which were celebrated but which sadly did not amount to  anything.

I'd like to see us make this one count. (Good for our national psyche if nothing else. )

This is now in our hands (second place). Beat Israel at home and the two tricky away a games to Faroes and Moldova and the Denmark game could then be irrelevant.

I have had my doubts about Steve Clarke but he deserves a lot of praise for getting us into this position with 4 games to go. He has done well but it has to count or it is just the usual glorious failure pish.

We don’t need to thrash teams to come second but a healthy goal difference could help us be one of the seeded teams on the playoffs. That would be a huge boost for our chances of getting to the World Cup. 

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

We could do with blootering them to boost our confidence in front of goal more than anything. I'm glad Dykes has a couple more goals to his name now, regardless of how they were scored. 

But if we get Adams a couple of goals and maybe a few midfielders, it would hopefully break this hoodoo we have in front of goal.

I'm still very concerned about Israel. A draw should be enough against them. We can focus on our scoring issues after we deal with that tricky tie.

Yeah I would honestly just like 3 comfortable victories in our next 3 games. I can’t take these 1-0 efforts with 20 minutes of stress at the end. If we could win our next 3 games by 2 clear goals and take something against a Denmark team who should already have already sewn up the group we should have a GD of around +7 (not counting Moldova) which would be pretty decent and would boost our chances of being seeded in the playoffs. Having said all that I would bite your hand off for three 1-0 victories right now.

Totally agree about Israel. We have struggled to beat them over the last few years and this time will likely be no different.  A full Hampden and (hopefully) a full squad with no injuries or Covid issues could make all the difference. 

Basically, beat Israel and we look strong favorites for 2nd place in our group.

To get the seeded spot in the actual play off's, I think we have to beat Israel and the Faroes are a absolute minimum.... naturally we need to beat Moldova, but in terms of the seedings, this result is meaningless as points gained v lowest seed are taken away.

Norway have played Gibraltar twice, hence they are not seeded, but have more points than us.... so they will potentially be breathing down our necks if they can beat Turkey away from home next month.

Anything against Denmark is a bonus.

Then just a case of hoping the draw gives us home advantage for a potential final.

Looks like a lot of the big guns are going to be o.k for 1st now....Portugal with comfortable win and Serbia couldn't beat ROI so they're well in control of their group again, France beat Finland so well set for 1st and Holland smashed Turkey.

Spain look biggest nation in danger of needing play offs so obvious one for everyone to avoid.

Looking more like similar standard of teams to what was in the euros play off e.g. Serbia, Turkey/Norway, Finland, Wales Russia, North Macedonia etc. Wouldn't really want to play the Swiss who will probably come second to Italy but beyond that I'd fancy a few of those playing them at Hampden in the SF so big incentive to me to try to win 3 of the last 4 and potentially get seeded as top 6.

6 hours ago, JandC said:

Yes. We really need to get into the top 6 of the 2nd place (if we make it) as home advantage would be huge for us.

At the moment Group D looks certain to have one of the lowest points scoring for 2nd place (Ukraine with 5 draws from 5 games). We just need another 3 groups to beat!

Ireland getting it hat draw against Serbia was good for us as well and it would also be good if England could beat Poland tonight.

Looking for as many draws as possible for teams in the other groups and at least 3 wins for us.

Our best performances/results over the last year have all been away from home

6 hours ago, JandC said:

Going by our away performances against Serbia, England and Austria then maybe an away fixture might be better for us. Home advantage didn't seem to work out for us in the euros. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Going by our away performances against Serbia, England and Austria then maybe an away fixture might be better for us. Home advantage didn't seem to work out for us in the euros. 

I wouldn't have fancied facing Serbia in a full stadium in Belgrade. Covid did us a favour there.

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

None of those games were in full stadiums. Even last night’s crowd was only about 33% of the capacity. 52.000 at Hampden should give us some sort of advantage if we reach the playoffs.

If we are seeded we should also (theoretically at least) be playing one of the easier teams in the playoff semis.

I will worry about all that stuff if we do finish second though. Long way to go. 

Update following the conclusion of the September triple headers. I've added in the stats since we are now in the mix 🙂

Seeded

Serbia  Pld 5  Pts 11  GD +5

Russia  5  10  +4

Sweden  4  9  +4

Scotland  5  8  +3

Switzerland  4  8  +3

Czech Rep  4  7  +1

Unseeded 

Norway  4  7  0 

Armenia  4  7  -3

Albania  4  6  -3

Ukraine  5  5  0

Wales*

Austria*

* - qualifying via Nations League 

37 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Update following the conclusion of the September triple headers. I've added in the stats since we are now in the mix 🙂

Seeded

Serbia  Pld 5  Pts 11  GD +5

Russia  5  10  +4

Sweden  4  9  +4

Scotland  5  8  +3

Switzerland  4  8  +3

Czech Rep  4  7  +1

Unseeded 

Norway  4  7  0 

Armenia  4  7  -3

Albania  4  6  -3

Ukraine  5  5  0

Wales*

Austria*

* - qualifying via Nations League 

Looking pretty good at the moment but there are plenty of teams with 4 counting games left so it’s a wee bit misleading. 

The only teams I would be really fearful of there are Russia and Sweden. Definitely our best chance of getting to the World Cup since 1998 (or at least getting to the playoffs) but no doubt we’ll do our best to balls it up and finish 3rd. 

Edited by Texas Pete

Sweden losing til Greece is a godsend for all the potential play off teams. Decent chance Spain can win the group now. 

Still lots of tough teams looking at getting 2nd place. I wouldn't fancy Sweden, Switzerland and Russia, but the rest are fairly beatable teams for us. Just have to hope for some luck in the draw assuming we get there, we can easily still fuck things up knowing us.

27 minutes ago, Archiesdad said:

Take away out Moldova points and goal,

And we drop down to a more realistic place.

5 points + 2 goals.

Just above Ukraine..

still there...  

Still much to play for.👍

Think Toepoke’s stats have already removed the Moldova result.

26 minutes ago, Archiesdad said:

Take away out Moldova points and goal,

And we drop down to a more realistic place.

5 points + 2 goals.

Just above Ukraine..

still there...  

Still much to play for.👍

Ooops, please ignore the above post.

I made an arse of it.

I should know better than correct Mr Poke.😉