Play Off Picture - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Picture

Toepoke

Now that we've got ourselves into 2nd in the group until September at least, I thought I'd look at potential play off opponents.

The following teams are currently 2nd in each group...

Serbia

Sweden

Switzerland 

Ukraine

Czech Republic 

Scotland 

Netherlands 

Russia 

Poland 

North Macedonia 

In addition the best two ranked Nations League group winners not already qualified will join in. They are currently...

Hungary 

Wales

The six 2nd placed teams with the best records will be at home in the first round of the play-offs.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Now that we've got ourselves into 2nd in the group until September at least, I thought I'd look at potential play off opponents.

The following teams are currently 2nd in each group...

Serbia

Sweden

Switzerland 

Ukraine

Czech Republic 

Scotland 

Netherlands 

Russia 

Poland 

North Macedonia 

In addition the best two ranked Nations League group winners not already qualified will join in. They are currently...

Hungary 

Wales

The six 2nd placed teams with the best records will be at home in the first round of the play-offs.

Armenia look nailed on to win group J.

Think you might have started the thread 5 months too early

• 5 months later...

Thought I'd give this a bump now that the groups are half complete. 

As it stands the play-off qualifiers would be...

Seeded

Portugal 

Sweden 

Poland

Israel

Netherlands 

Switzerland 

Unseeded 

Croatia 

Czech Republic 

Armenia 

Finland 

Wales*

Austria*

* - qualifying via Nations League 

10 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Thought I'd give this a bump now that the groups are half complete. 

As it stands the play-off qualifiers would be...

Seeded

Portugal 

Sweden 

Poland

Israel

Netherlands 

Switzerland 

Unseeded 

Croatia 

Czech Republic 

Armenia 

Finland 

Wales*

Austria*

* - qualifying via Nations League 

How does Israel get above Croatia in the seeding?

8 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

So if we were to get 2nd place would we be seeded? 

Depends on our record. The 6 best runners up get seeded.

As we're in a 6 team group our results against the bottom team don't count, so currently it would be best for Moldova to finish bottom given that we beat the Faroes by more goals.

Edited by Toepoke

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Depends on our record. The 6 best runners up get seeded.

OK cool, well the chances are we would be on 18 points. Draw v austria, win v Israel, win v Moldova win v faroes and lose v denmark leaves us on 18 points. 

I am guessing that probably won't get us seeded spot. Just have to hope we get lucky and poor teams make it as seeded teams as I wouldn't fancy us against some of the current 2nd place seeded teams. 

Either way this is all hypothetical as getting 2nd is still a big ask when we can barely convert chances into goals. 

10 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Ok cool, I didn't realise it gave you home advantage. Don't understand why they don't go back to 2 legged play offs or they could have it at a neutral venue. 

Schedule pressure I suppose. Both playoff rounds are the last week in March and the World Cup draw is in April. 

7 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Schedule pressure I suppose. Both playoff rounds are the last week in March and the World Cup draw is in April. 

I suppose its maybe a good idea in regards players having to play less games in a season. Still think it would be best just to have it at a neutral venue. 

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I suppose its maybe a good idea in regards players having to play less games in a season. Still think it would be best just to have it at a neutral venue. 

I really don't get why in these circumstances the playoff matches aren't just held in the host country for the tournament that the qualifying is for.

Easier for fans to plan for and would give the host country some practise for hosting games with numerous sets of fans arriving in the country.

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

Their playoff spot goes down the the next team in line. Ie the next best placed nations league group winner. 

That would be Czech Rep (should have been us) next in line is Hungary. That's assuming Spain, Belgium, France and Italy all finish in the top two in their groups.

40 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That would be Czech Rep (should have been us) next in line is Hungary. That's assuming Spain, Belgium, France and Italy all finish in the top two in their groups.

Aye there was the potential for a bizarre scenario where a team might want to lose their final game to qualify but the draw doesn't seem to have worked out that way fortunately.