Jump to content

Steve Clarke: "Work in progress"


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, bazmidd said:

The thing is, we don't need a Defender to break the lines with passes if a Midfielder is capable of it, and we literally have no Midfielder in there who loves to get on the ball and dictate play apart from, step forward Billy Gilmour. He would completely change the way we play. McTomimay and McGinn are good Midfielders but they aren't like a Pirlo or Xavi, I'm not saying Gilmour is as good as them but he is that type, who will dictate the play or are even particularly comfortable in possession in tight areas, they both get away with it at times due to McTominays strength and physique and McGinns big fat arse gets him out of tight spots but none of them like receiving the ball deep on the half turn and opening up the play creating passing angles, neither of them are even as capable of making those passes as Gilmour. I've seen enough of the kid already to know he could be a vital part of this team, he should be the main man in there, protected by McGinn and McTominay either side of him who should alternate box to box. Sometimes I would only play two Gilmour and one other depending who we play. Tonight is a prime example of when he should have been given a chance to show what he can offer

Spot on. McGinn and McTominay need to be complemented with a playmaker and Gilmour is the identikit player. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So we aren't really progressing. I call progressing having different formations and set-ups for different opponents. We are playing the same formation tonight as we did V Serbia away yet we are at home to the Faroe Islands. And note how better we looked on Sunday when we switched to 4-4-2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Yes, the clamour for him will only increase as the Euros get closer. Turnbull I'm not so sure as the only place he can realistically take is Christie's.

I'm not too sure on that. In all the games we have played so far we are sorely lacking in creativity in both areas of Midfield. Gilmour as a deep lying playmaker but we also lack someone playing on the half turn in the number 10 position. McGinn isn't really a creator, especially in games such as tonight we need someone who can split defences, Turnbull would have or Gauld would have shined tonight

Link to post
Share on other sites

Progress would be implementing that style last night against better sides or sides around us. The most frustrating thing about watching that last night was seeing how high we played up the park and wondering what if v Israel. Why don't we go for it like that against better sides, I get the argument better sides may hurt us, but we may hurt them as well. That left hand side for Scotland is potentially great against anyone. If we get Ryan Jack back to plug the gaps, get Gilmour in to add some creativity we have a team

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Progress would be implementing that style last night against better sides or sides around us. The most frustrating thing about watching that last night was seeing how high we played up the park and wondering what if v Israel. Why don't we go for it like that against better sides, I get the argument better sides may hurt us, but we may hurt them as well. That left hand side for Scotland is potentially great against anyone. If we get Ryan Jack back to plug the gaps, get Gilmour in to add some creativity we have a team

Assuming we are 3 at the back what would your midfield be for the opener at the Euros? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Assuming we are 3 at the back what would your midfield be for the opener at the Euros? 

Jack, McGinn and Gilmour. Jack is important he plugs the gaps, especially if McTominay is stepping into midfield and Tierney is stepping into pretty much wherever he wants! We need Jack he is the best defensive midfielder we have. Then we need creativity, McGregor just doesn't do it for me, Gilmour already looks a cut above him from what I have seen. McGinns goals speak for themselves

Edited by bazmidd
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Jack, McGinn and Gilmour. Jack is important he plugs the gaps, especially if McTominay is stepping into midfield and Tierney is stepping into pretty much wherever he wants! We need Jack he is the best defensive midfielder we have. Then we need creativity, McGregor just doesn't do it for me, Gilmour already looks a cut above him from what I have seen. McGinns goals speak for themselves

Yes, those would be my three for the same reasons. I don’t think Gilmour will make it though. I’d probably go with McLean in his absence, although I think it will be McGregor. A lot rests on Jack. I think we’ll be picked off easily without him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I quite like the idea of a back three of Tierney, Cooper and McTominay with a midfield 3 of Gilmour, Jack and McGinn. Imagine having 2 ball playing defenders looking up and finding Gilmour to link the play through. Jack would have the discipline to cover when Tierney or McTominay bombs forward.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I quite like the idea of a back three of Tierney, Cooper and McTominay with a midfield 3 of Gilmour, Jack and McGinn. Imagine having 2 ball playing defenders looking up and finding Gilmour to link the play through. Jack would have the discipline to cover when Tierney or McTominay bombs forward.

It doesn't look too bad...

Marshall

McTominay    Cooper    Tierney

Fraser          Jack     Gilmour       Robertson

McGinn

Adams     Dykes

Bench to change it: Forrest, Armstrong, McGregor, Christie, McLean, Turnbull, Gauld, McBurnie, Nisbet, Griffiths?  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

It doesn't look too bad...

Marshall

McTominay    Cooper    Tierney

Fraser          Jack     Gilmour       Robertson

McGinn

Adams     Dykes

Bench to change it: Forrest, Armstrong, McGregor, Christie, McLean, Turnbull, Gauld, McBurnie, Nisbet, Griffiths?  

 

I like everything about that apart from the partnership up front. I know it was the first game together but it just didn't work for me. Dykes looked to be completely off Adams wavelength. Dykes will be useful as an out ball at times but I still think we need another partner for Adams

Edited by bazmidd
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dykes will be an excellent sub. Someone to bring on with 25 minutes to go and if we are 2-1 up e.g against the Czechs or so ; we won't be relying on him for a goal but his determination, hold up play and for want of a better word his running about is a good asset to have in the squad.

Link to post
Share on other sites

                           Marshall

     McTominay.   Hanley.    Tierney

Fraser.                  Jack                 Robertson

           Gilmour.                  McGinn 

                          Turnbull

                           Adams

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

It doesn't look too bad...

Marshall

McTominay    Cooper    Tierney

Fraser          Jack     Gilmour       Robertson

McGinn

Adams     Dykes

Bench to change it: Forrest, Armstrong, McGregor, Christie, McLean, Turnbull, Gauld, McBurnie, Nisbet, Griffiths?  

 

I know he's not everyone's favourite, but I'd have O'Donnell at least on the bench. To be honest, I'd probably even have him in the side with Fraser up front instead of Dykes - and like someone else said, have Dykes come on for the last 25 minutes and give the defenders something different to think about when they're tiring. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I still prefer Gallagher in the middle of the 3, I think he’s at least as good as Hanley on the ball, has better pace and we miss his height, physicality at set pieces. Be interesting to see where he moves in the Summer, I hope he doesn’t become a squad player at Celtic and goes somewhere he plays 1st football, perhaps a decent Championship side.

Link to post
Share on other sites

And if I was Steve Clarke I’d give Hendry a tape of McTominays games for Scotland at right-centre half and tell him that’s this is what we want from you

Edited by Scot1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Folk looking for us to play expansively against better or similarly ranked nations are delirious. We need to consistently shit-house our way to 1-0 victories against the likes of Czech Republic and fluke some victories against better nations (like Denmark) by staying tight. That is what progress will look like. 

Folk forget the same pool of players were getting pumped by Kazakhstan not so long ago. The same players who are apparently the only reason why we are getting better results. 

Steve Clarke has made steady progress and expect he will continue to do. Cunts gave us Zero chance of getting past Serbia. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Folk looking for us to play expansively against better or similarly ranked nations are delirious. We need to consistently shit-house our way to 1-0 victories against the likes of Czech Republic and fluke some victories against better nations (like Denmark) by staying tight. That is what progress will look like. 

Folk forget the same pool of players were getting pumped by Kazakhstan not so long ago. The same players who are apparently the only reason why we are getting better results. 

Steve Clarke has made steady progress and expect he will continue to do. Cunts gave us Zero chance of getting past Serbia. 

I disagree I think we should be aiming to play a mix of direct and possession based football. I don’t expect us to ever be Barcelona, but we need to be better, more controlled and composed in possession if we are to climb up the rankings and give ourselves better opportunities to qualify for tournaments 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

And if I was Steve Clarke I’d give Hendry a tape of McTominays games for Scotland at right-centre half and tell him that’s this is what we want from you

Little bit harsh on Hendry because he is good with the ball at his feet but McTominay is another level up which is why he plays for Man Utd and not Oostende. Hendry has also been playing in the middle of the back three at Oostende and I think this is actually his best position. In time I would like to try a back 3 of Tierney Hendry and McTominay as they all have great pace which would allow us to play higher up the pitch

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scot1 said:

I disagree I think we should be aiming to play a mix of direct and possession based football. I don’t expect us to ever be Barcelona, but we need to be better, more controlled and composed in possession if we are to climb up the rankings and give ourselves better opportunities to qualify for tournaments 

Can't argue with any of that. So wondering what it is you are disagreeing with me about!

Unless you define direct and "possession based"  and "better, more controlled,  and composed" football as expansive? Sounds almost like the opposite of expansive football to be honest!

I think you are really just saying that you want the team to continue to get better at playing football. Which, I'm sure, we can all support. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Little bit harsh on Hendry because he is good with the ball at his feet but McTominay is another level up which is why he plays for Man Utd and not Oostende. Hendry has also been playing in the middle of the back three at Oostende and I think this is actually his best position. In time I would like to try a back 3 of Tierney Hendry and McTominay as they all have great pace which would allow us to play higher up the pitch

I didn’t mean it to come across as harsh. But I have hopes for Hendry, eventually I’d like to see him replace Gallagher in the middle of the back 3. But I mean in an educational way, this is what we are looking for, we think you can do this.

Clarke should be making demands of his players though, he should be pointing out what he wants, how they can improve etc

Edited by Scot1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Can't argue with any of that. So wondering what it is you are disagreeing with me about!

Unless you define direct and "possession based"  and "better, more controlled,  and composed" football as expansive? Sounds almost like the opposite of expansive football to be honest!

I think you are really just saying that you want the team to continue to get better at playing football. Which, I'm sure, we can all support. 

Continually “shit-housing”, we need to mix it with possession based football. 
Define “expansive” and I’ll let you know. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

are we playing any friendlies before the tournament. would be nice to see fraser at rwb again against better opposition plus there is alot of variables for our starting line up so it would be nice to see whats best.

I think we play 2 friendlies before the Euro’s. No indication of who the SFA are lining up to play yet

Edited by Scot1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scot1 said:

I think we play 2 friendlies before the Euro’s. No indication of who the SFA are lining up to play yet

nice, hopefully its opposition who are wanting a serious game with only a few subs. need to test ourselves properly as i feel clarke is still finding our best eleven. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bazmidd said:

                           Marshall

     McTominay.   Hanley.    Tierney

Fraser.                  Jack                 Robertson

           Gilmour.                  McGinn 

                          Turnbull

                           Adams

I like your team. You found a way to shoehorn Turnbull in which is good as we can't rely on regular scoring from our designated strikers. Only problem is Fraser at RWB against better teams.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...