Serbia Playoff - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Serbia Playoff

kumnio

Remember this game?

Remember we actually tried to play attacking football, with an aggressive midfield that didn’t let the opponent dominate the game. 

Why was it a one off, why have we bottled the games since then? Our insipid displays need to stop. 

44 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Scotland have always been known as a team who can raise their game for the big teams then slip up against smaller teams....

Doesn't really answer the question though. First half against Israel is one of the most baffling performances I’ve ever seen from Scotland.

Bit of an Urban Myth that one. Pretty sure our record over the last decade will prove that.

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Remember this game?

Remember we actually tried to play attacking football, with an aggressive midfield that didn’t let the opponent dominate the game. 

Why was it a one off, why have we bottled the games since then? Our insipid displays need to stop. 

Exactly.We attacked and imposed ourselves on Serbia.It worked,we won.So what have we done since.Went back to the passive,defensive shit.Result being we haven't won a game since against mainly poorer teams than Serbia.Absolutely baffling.

1 hour ago, The Black Bra said:

Scotland have always been known as a team who can raise their game for the big teams then slip up against smaller teams....

Doesn't really answer the question though. First half against Israel is one of the most baffling performances I’ve ever seen from Scotland.

If I am being completely honest it was the Serbia performance I found baffling. I was shocked that we actually looked decent for a change. 

I am not sure what is worse, consistently playing bad/average and accepting it, or getting a bit of hope for it to be snapped away within days. 

I am not sure we always have the right attitude. With Serbia we may have played better as it was last chance saloon and the game had some momentum. 
Whilst Steve Clarke has made us a bit harder to beat,  I am not convinced he has the personality to instil the confidence and positive mindset that is required when dealing with players that are not together regularly. The players also have to take responsibility, they give teams far too much respect at times. It is not difficult to make challenges yet they sit back and watch . 

2 hours ago, thesaint said:

Exactly.We attacked and imposed ourselves on Serbia.It worked,we won.So what have we done since.Went back to the passive,defensive shit.Result being we haven't won a game since against mainly poorer teams than Serbia.Absolutely baffling.

Steve Clarke has us playing like his Kilmarnock, that's what happened.

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

If I am being completely honest it was the Serbia performance I found baffling. I was shocked that we actually looked decent for a change. 

I am not sure what is worse, consistently playing bad/average and accepting it, or getting a bit of hope for it to be snapped away within days. 

I am not sure we always have the right attitude. With Serbia we may have played better as it was last chance saloon and the game had some momentum. 
Whilst Steve Clarke has made us a bit harder to beat,  I am not convinced he has the personality to instil the confidence and positive mindset that is required when dealing with players that are not together regularly. The players also have to take responsibility, they give teams far too much respect at times. It is not difficult to make challenges yet they sit back and watch . 

If things go Tits up tomorrow night and we draw or something he will probably say;

”we’re undefeated, and that’s invaluable going into our first major tournament for 23 years”

I completely agree with you also. 

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I imagine the Serbia fans message board must be full of posts saying they can't believe they lost to Scotland. 

20 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Steve Clarke has us playing like his Kilmarnock, that's what happened.

Kilmarnock were solid defensively, had players playing in a formation they were conformable with and everyone knew their roles, created chances, and won a significant proportion of their games under Clarke. Over a calendar year they were the form team in Scotland, picking up more points than the Old Firm. Clarke's Scotland and Clarke's Kilmarnock are quite a bit apart at this current time. I wish we were playing like his Kilmarnock. 

19 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

Kilmarnock were solid defensively, had players playing in a formation they were conformable with and everyone knew their roles, created chances, and won a significant proportion of their games under Clarke. Over a calendar year they were the form team in Scotland, picking up more points than the Old Firm. Clarke's Scotland and Clarke's Kilmarnock are quite a bit apart at this current time. I wish we were playing like his Kilmarnock. 

I think I just meant that they (Killie) tended to start games on the back foot and gradually worked their way in to games, rather than the way we started the second half v Israel.

On 3/30/2021 at 4:33 PM, kumnio said:

Remember this game?

Aye but we nearly let it slip by losing a goal in the 90th and scraped through on penalties,  then went on to lose the next two games so have maybe reverted to type. Maybe the thinking is to make sure we try and remain unbeaten in the run up to the Euros. To get through against the Czechs,  England and Ukraine we're likley going to have to be tight in defense with the hope of nicking a goal. Would like to think we can now move up to the next level in performance but perhaps the stark reality is we're still not there yet.