Scotland v The Faroe Islands - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v The Faroe Islands

Caledonian Craig

PS The Faroes are no San Marino, Gibraltar or Andorra. They are a decent side and recently went about 9 games undefeated albeit in the Nations League D, still though, they are massive improvement to what they were 30 years ago.

They have not lost by more than 4 goals since 2017! I wonder if they can get a result against Israel or Austria ; I'll take a 1-0 win in Tórshavn right now for us if possible.

Also two games against Denmark! Their big rivals, with their ever improving side, you never know they might get a huge result at home against them. 

11 hours ago, OLAS said:

But he wasn't that good.   It was the Faroe Islands.   I think Adams was pish, he was pish every time he played but he got the time to score.  

Griffiths is a good player no matter the opposition.    He's proven that.      I'd play him. 

Griffiths for me,all the way.He has more in his locker,than any of the other forwards.I do acknowledge that other problems exist regarding his fitness etc,but surely there is room for a guy with his natural talent to be included in the squad.

54 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

PS The Faroes are no San Marino, Gibraltar or Andorra. They are a decent side and recently went about 9 games undefeated albeit in the Nations League D, still though, they are massive improvement to what they were 30 years ago.

They have not lost by more than 4 goals since 2017! I wonder if they can get a result against Israel or Austria ; I'll take a 1-0 win in Tórshavn right now for us if possible.

Also two games against Denmark! Their big rivals, with their ever improving side, you never know they might get a huge result at home against them. 

They beat Austria before, with their bobble-hatted keeper. Must be about 25 years ago.....

Edit: 1990 - 31 years ago!

Edited by McTeeko

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Denmark have genuine quality all the way through their team. They could choose an eleven from Schmeichel in goal, they can field a team with Chelsea, AC Milan, Atalanta and Udinese defenders, or possibly big Vestergaard who is a terrific centre half. Midfield of Inter Milan, Spurs, Valencia and Borussia Dortmund. Up front it's Barcelona and RB Leipzig. By all means, bring them on. They are, however, on an upwards trajectory in the cyclical nature of quality players coming through and they could do us some proper damage. I actually fancy them to be challenging for at least semi finals over the next 4 or 5 years.

We are on an upward cycle as well.  Plenty good players who just need to gel.

5 hours ago, bazmidd said:

Your hate of Adams is embarrassing. TA Troll

Do you seriously want me to download the video and make a cut of all his mishaps?

11 successful passes in 78 minutes?

Yeah. Ok. He was fantastic.

The heir to the Ronaleo throne 

This Is the only site that I have ever browed where opinions aren't wanted. It would appear that we should all have the same opinion.

What a fun, creative place these people want this to be.

Edited by Taylor1996

6 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Adams has probably put himself in contention to be the starting striker, although he was by no means brilliant. Dykes had lost his spark and looks a bit leaden footed. A three week injury would do him the power of good. 

Don't. quite understand this great clamour for Adams to be our main striker.Based on what.Here is a guy who only committed to Scotland because of the euros.He scored against the Faroes,yes the Faroes,and suddenly he is our top man.Bit of a kick in the teeth to guys who have been fighting to get a place up front.Now,I am not saying he could be useful  to us,but to nail him down as our top striker on the evidence of a game against the Faroes would be madness.He's looked ok so far,nothing more.

54 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

They beat Austria before, with their bobble-hatted keeper. Must be about 25 years ago.....

Edit: 1990 - 31 years ago!

Yes, I think that was their first ever game too! 

I rave about them to anyone who listens - which isn't many these days hah - but a town the size of Falkirk is their population basically.

IIR there was a poll a year or two ago about best fans-per-population size in attending domestic leagues was 1) Faroes 2)Us 3)Norway.

16 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Outfield players that didn't get a single minute: Considine, Taylor, Gallagher.

You'd think Gallagher not playing is partly due to not being match sharp/fit. But I'd probably take that to mean Considine and Taylor are the first on the chopping block for a 23 man Euros squad. 

I also wonder if McBurnie getting brought on after Nisbet is a sign his place is not as secure as it once was.

The only justification for taking Considine is that he can cover for left back; we already have 2 certainties for that position so it can only be for emergency.No justification for taking Taylor at all. Don't forget Cooper who was left out because of illness but as far as I know cannot also play at left back.

As for Gallagher, his lack of playing time plus the re-emergence of Hanley as a right-sided CB has pushed him back down. But I's still take him as cover for Hanley instead of, say, Porteous who is still raw and rash and inexperienced.

If Patterson hadn't got his needless suspension he would be replacing Palmer IMO.

15 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Yes, I think that was their first ever game too! 

I rave about them to anyone who listens - which isn't many these days hah - but a town the size of Falkirk is their population basically.

IIR there was a poll a year or two ago about best fans-per-population size in attending domestic leagues was 1) Faroes 2)Us 3)Norway.

Wow.Never realised the Faroes was.such a football hotbed.

20 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Don't. quite understand this great clamour for Adams to be our main striker.Based on what.Here is a guy who only committed to Scotland because of the euros.He scored against the Faroes,yes the Faroes,and suddenly he is our top man.Bit of a kick in the teeth to guys who have been fighting to get a place up front.Now,I am not saying he could be useful  to us,but to nail him down as our top striker on the evidence of a game against the Faroes would be madness.He's looked ok so far,nothing more.

Still promised more in 3 games than McBurnie in 16. And unlike the latter has played regularly in the EPL. And scored in that league, playing against top defenders. Has shown a bit of pace and some good touches, so until maybe Nisbet develops or a, as yet unknown, player comes through, it is right that he is in possession.

2 hours ago, thesaint said:

Griffiths for me,all the way.He has more in his locker,than any of the other forwards.I do acknowledge that other problems exist regarding his fitness etc,but surely there is room for a guy with his natural talent to be included in the squad.

And that's where it is - in his locker. Or he would have started much more this season for Celtic. But it was clear to them that he could not do more than 65 minutes. His only use may be as an impact sub but that is a luxury we might not be able to afford.

3 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Still promised more in 3 games than McBurnie in 16. And unlike the latter has played regularly in the EPL. And scored in that league, playing against top defenders. Has shown a bit of pace and some good touches, so until maybe Nisbet develops or a, as yet unknown, player comes through, it is right that he is in possession.

i thought he did ok. 1 goal and 1 assist is decent and he looked alright in general. doubt hes going to be amazing for us but hes easily a cut above what we have which isnt hard tbf

2 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Denmark have genuine quality all the way through their team. They could choose an eleven from Schmeichel in goal, they can field a team with Chelsea, AC Milan, Atalanta and Udinese defenders, or possibly big Vestergaard who is a terrific centre half. Midfield of Inter Milan, Spurs, Valencia and Borussia Dortmund. Up front it's Barcelona and RB Leipzig. By all means, bring them on. They are, however, on an upwards trajectory in the cyclical nature of quality players coming through and they could do us some proper damage. I actually fancy them to be challenging for at least semi finals over the next 4 or 5 years.

We beat France home and away.

We beat Croatia home and away and that was after we had been humped home and away by a pot 6 team. 

Strange things can happen in football.  I would be amazed if we beat Demark away from home, though. I'd settle for a draw.

I agree with TheSaint, because of his goal Adams has received more plaudits than his overall performances have merited. I admit I had a slight initial bias against someone who finally decided he was "Scottish" once Scotland qualified for Euros, and realized he could not get in the England squad, but am prepared to support him once he pulls on the dark blue. However I would take Griffiths any day of the week, a more complete footballer with lethal shot and set-piece delivery. Ok Griffiths cannot last the full 90 minutes, but even with an extra time Griffiths cameo against Austria we could easily have won that match instead of watching McTominay blootering over the bar. Adams created the space and finished well for his goal, plus provided good pass to Robertson for Fraser's header, though that just sqeaked by being intercepted. Adams work rate is good, but does not put as much pressure on defenders as Griffiths, and certainly not as much as Burke who is the ultimate at chasing down defenders. I have not seen Adams run at a defense and take people on. He is not an aerial threat. He gets caught offside too often, at least 3 times against Israel. 

35 minutes ago, thesaint said:

I think it's more a reflection of the players he is competing against for that place. You don't need to be very good to be the best Scottish striker. Even after just three games, it's obvious that anybody who thinks McBurnie is better than him are aff their nuts.

59 minutes ago, thesaint said:

That’s what I said. He was marginally better than the alternatives. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

i would love for griffiths to get back in the squad but it would take an excellent run of scoring between now and the euros for him to be considered unless of course there are injuries then he might get in.

Is he still with Celtic?  Two free kicks a year and tying a flag around a goalpost doesn't impress me.  Let the new guys bond.  Griffiths must be the most overpaid striker in Europe for the amount of games he plays.

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

Agreed.

What he did in the first half was when he used his blistering pace to get away from the defenders, before being confused as to what to do when he was close to the keeper sums him up.

6 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Griffiths cant get a game for his club side.  Does anyone not see that?

Granted. However, neither is McBurnie now a regular starter for a team rock bottom of the EPL. At least Griffiths knows where the net is for us and goals are like gold dust for us. We need goalscorers not players floundering.

3 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Is he still with Celtic?  Two free kicks a year and tying a flag around a goalpost doesn't impress me.  Let the new guys bond.  Griffiths must be the most overpaid striker in Europe for the amount of games he plays.

hes got a goal every 122 mins this season, thats pretty decent return and you must be kidding regarding the overpaid remark. theres guys who score next to zero getting paid fortunes in the epl. just look at your very own defoe at bournemouth who scored 4 goals there and was probably on 80 grand a week. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

hes got a goal every 122 mins this season, thats pretty decent return and you must be kidding regarding the overpaid remark. theres guys who score next to zero getting paid fortunes in the epl. just look at your very own defoe at bournemouth who scored 4 goals there and was probably on 80 grand a week. 

I would have Griffiths in if he was playing for his club.  He is a natural goal scorer.  And probably our best.  But he doesn't get a game for Celtic and has hardly played for the last two years.  I would love to see him back but needs to be football fit.