Scotland v The Faroe Islands - Page 18 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v The Faroe Islands

Caledonian Craig

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

Funny how you don't have a funny quip for Return of Yermaw for mocking your mistake in the other thread, isn't it?

Sheep. In more ways than one.

I'm quite sure he is not a sheep but please tell us about 3 at the back again chripper.

59 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Having a different opinion doesnt automatically equate to "being on the wind up". 

Once upon a time I suggested in this place that we play a back three. Apparently, I was on the "wind up". How did that work out?

McBurnie would be higher on my list than Adams. Without question.

Mine too.The hatred for McBurnie astounds me.Unlike others we could mention,he has shown an admirable commitment to the cause.Funny how there is always some poor sod that is picked out to blame for anything that goes wrong.As I said previously,he was even quoted in the forum after the Israel game ,saying how crap he is,even though he wasn't even involved in the game.Prepare to be astounded,but I quite like him.

12 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Mine too.The hatred for McBurnie astounds me.Unlike others we could mention,he has shown an admirable commitment to the cause.Funny how there is always some poor sod that is picked out to blame for anything that goes wrong.As I said previously,he was even quoted in the forum after the Israel game ,saying how crap he is,even though he wasn't even involved in the game.Prepare to be astounded,but I quite like him.

I like him too but he is having a bad season at club level so I would say it has to be Adams for now. 

Players who have been awarded the same hatred accolade in the past despite playing at a decent level

Kenny Miller.

Steven Fletcher.

Leigh Griffiths.

Lots of Chris Martins and the like too mind you.

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

i have no hatred for the guy and i admire his commitment but as footballer he is pretty poor and how anyone can choose him over adams is mystery to me. adams has shown much more in these three games than mcburnie has in his 17.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I like him too but he is having a bad season at club level so I would say it has to be Adams for now. 

Players who have been awarded the same hatred accolade in the past despite playing at a decent level

Kenny Miller.

Steven Fletcher.

Leigh Griffiths.

those three played fairly well for scotland and were never hated by the fans from what i remember. 

1 hour ago, thesaint said:

Football fans love a scapegoat. 

Kenny Miller.

Steven Fletcher.

Leigh Griffiths.

I like him, three.

Yep. "Kenny Misser", anyone?

Notice they're all strikers.

All of those names would've been a lot more effective playing with a strike partner. Opportunity wasted.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not having a go, but unless you have previous alias's you haven't been around here long enough to remember the way we talked about them.

i have been reading this board since 2004, plenty complained about guys like griffiths, fletcher and miller when they played poorly but we accepted that there wasnt much else available and we at least got some good performances out them and they tended do the basics right most of the time. mcburnie is nothing like those guys mentioned, i think most on here would like to have fit leigh griffiths back or a peak steven fletcher back and that isnt nostalgia because i can remember being critical of those guys myself but they at least did the basics of football correct like controlling a ball and playing a pass. every player gets criticism but with mcburnie its easily justifiable to the point where i hope that clarke doesnt play him even once at these upcoming euros. i dont think i could say that about any other player in our squad.

10 hours ago, thesaint said:

It's not hatred, some people think he is shite and some think he's off form

I actually think your first sentence is laughable considering what you've written about Adams lately

McBurnie:

18/19: 22 goals (Championship)

19/20: 6 goals (EPL)

20/21 1 goal (EPL)

2018 to date: 16 Scotland caps, 0 goals

Adams

18/19: 22 goals (Championship)

19/20: 4 goals (EPL)

20/21: 7 goals (EPL)

March 2021 to date: 3 Scotland caps, 1 goal

Objectively, based on a goals return (which is ultimately what strikers are measured against regardless if they are up front on their own, leading the line for midfielders to run on to knockdowns etc) there is not much between them currently except Adams is off the mark and has potential to go and perhaps score 4-5 goals by the time he reaches 16 caps. I think then will be the time to compare fully. 

Subjectively, McBurnie has offered next to nothing when playing for Scotland. Adams has shown (for me at least) he will be far more productive for us. In any case we can return to the debate in 12 or so games time.

However to dislike Adams based on what you have seen for Scotland or to still think that McBurnie can do a better job for us than Adams based on the above stats and performances, then I can only think that you are just being belligerent and contraire for the sake of it (or for some other non football related reason). 

1 minute ago, Return of Yermaw said:

McBurnie:

20/21 1 goal (EPL)

Adams

Objectively, based on a goals return (which is ultimately what strikers are measured against regardless if they are up front on their own, leading the line for midfielders to run on to knockdowns etc) there is not much between them currently except Adams is off the mark and has potential to go and perhaps score 4-5 goals by the time he reaches 16 caps. I think then will be the time to compare fully. 

Subjectively, McBurnie has offered next to nothing when playing for Scotland. Adams has shown (for me at least) he will be far more productive for us. In any case we can return to the debate in 12 or so games time.

However to dislike Adams based on what you have seen for Scotland or to still think that McBurnie can do a better job for us than Adams based on the above stats and performances, then I can only think that you are just being belligerent and contraire for the sake of it (or for some other non football related reason). 

Bloody good post my fellow sheep 🤣🤣

In all seriousness I am in total agreement. This is the reason Adams gets the nod ahead of the rest, he's in a better league, playing better and put in a better shift than anyone else in his position. Does it mean he's our saviour, absolutely not but he's the best of our relatively poor bunch of forwards.

2 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

McBurnie:

20/21 1 goal (EPL)

Adams

Adams will be miles ahead, two games against Moldova should guarentee that.

Pity McBurnie never got a go at San Marino. 

I want Adams in the team but McBurnie is a clear second of the rest when in any sort of form. 

My views have nothing to do with any thing other than football. 

Perhaps the McBurnie haters haven't forgiven him for the joke he had with Fleck

20 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I want Adams in the team but McBurnie is a clear second of the rest when in any sort of form. 

He has done nothing to suggest he is the clear second favourite to Adams. Lyndon Dykes with 2 goals from 10 appearances for Scotland has the stats to confirm he is the favourite/second favourite. 

It is not about "hating" McBurnie. It is simply about objectively looking at his contribution to Scotland and our performances over his 16 games so far and then comparing that to the other strikers we have available. 

9 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

He has done nothing to suggest he is the clear second favourite to Adams. Lyndon Dykes with 2 goals from 10 appearances for Scotland has the stats to confirm he is the favourite/second favourite. 

It is not about "hating" McBurnie. It is simply about objectively looking at his contribution to Scotland and our performances over his 16 games so far and then comparing that to the other strikers we have available. 

Dykes is way out of form as well, but if he was an in form McBurnie is better. 

Actually I think it would be fairer to compare games against any country in the top 100 were any of our strikers start. At least using this method Dykes 2 would count. 

But as I am suggesting if we had a game tomorrow Adams should start. 

My liking of McBurnie is not just to oppose Adams. 

mcburnie is not a clear second. i am assuming you have watched mcburnie for scotland, hes terrible for us. i would genuinely play 5 or 6 guys ahead of him. i watch alot of sheff united games for obvious reasons and hes terrible for them as well, hes one of the reasons they are rock bottom and i actually defended mcburnie over that joke with fleck as i appreciate the fact that mcburnie has always turned up for squads.

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

mcburnie is not a clear second. i am assuming you have watched mcburnie for scotland, hes terrible for us. i would genuinely play 5 or 6 guys ahead of him. i watch alot of sheff united games for obvious reasons and hes terrible for them as well, hes one of the reasons they are rock bottom and i actually defended mcburnie over that joke with fleck as i appreciate the fact that mcburnie has always turned up for squads.

This sums it up very well 

My opinion of Che Adams is entirely based on what he's done on the football pitch.

I have yet to see him doing anything remarkable. In 3 years of watching him.

Yes, he has a bit of pace, but that's pretty much it. He's only had one season were he's hit double figures. There's a reason for that.

If he was the next Michael Owen or Romario, I'd take to him, instantly. But the truth is that he was probably England's 20th choice striker. 

Edited by Taylor1996

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

It's not hatred, some people think he is shite and some think he's off form

I actually think your first sentence is laughable considering what you've written about Adams lately

Prepare to split your sides again,because I still think he is ok,nothing more.Really don't see why a reasonable performance against the Faroes suddenly elevated him to a top striker that must start in the euros.Once again,based on what?

2 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Prepare to split your sides again,because I still think he is ok,nothing more.Really don't see why a reasonable performance against the Faroes suddenly elevated him to a top striker that must start in the euros.Once again,based on what?

Read the numerous posts including mine about Adams and why we feel he is first choice. Nobody elevated him to a top striker.

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

My opinion of Che Adams is entirely based on what he's done on the football pitch.

I have yet to see him doing anything remarkable. In 3 years of watching him.

Yes, he has a bit of pace, but that's pretty much it. He's only had one season were he's hit double figures. There's a reason for that.

If he was the next Michael Owen or Romario, I'd take to him, instantly. But the truth is that he was probably England's 20th choice striker. 

Not sure if someone who stated, due to non-footballing reasons, that they might 'throw the towel in' and might 'chuck posting on here' if Adams started/was on the bench against Austria qualifies as having a unbiased opinion.