Scotland v The Faroe Islands - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v The Faroe Islands

Caledonian Craig

38 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Think tonight saw the end of Griffiths’ international career. Clear as day Adams has nailed the main striker role now. 

But he wasn't that good.   It was the Faroe Islands.   I think Adams was pish, he was pish every time he played but he got the time to score.  

Griffiths is a good player no matter the opposition.    He's proven that.      I'd play him. 

7 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

What bit of that would suggest I didn't watch it?  just as I have done every match for the last 40 odd years.

Unless it was sarcasm, this bit. “For the McBurnie haters in 5 minutes less time he had 12 touches, made 8 passes, one tackle and 2 clearances.

Probably his best performance yet in a Scotland shirt.”

He dropped deep and got easy touches. Did he even enter the opposition box? 

7 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Probably more to see what Nisbet was like at international football. Not much if you only see him touch the ball 6 times and make 3 passes in 25 minutes

For the McBurnie haters in 5 minutes less time he had 12 touches, made 8 passes, one tackle and 2 clearances.

Probably his best performance yet in a Scotland shirt.

You’re having a laugh surely?

Hes laughably bad & he was playing against semi pro players. 

If his fine season continues then he probably won’t be in the squad come the Euros, thankfully. 

4 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

McBurnie did well. He had a few good touches and lay offs. He was better than Dykes, who tries, but is technically limited. Adams, apart from his goal, was shocking and did nothing all night.

The search for a goalscorer continues...

Dykes can and does score though, so he’s vastly superior to McBurnie. 

Dykes is one of the reasons we are at the Euros this summer.

McBurnie is technically the poorest Scotland player i can think ive ever seen.

Adams played well and has 1 assist and 1 goal in 3 caps, and his goal was a great finish last night. 

13 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

McBurnie did well. He had a few good touches and lay offs. He was better than Dykes, who tries, but is technically limited. Adams, apart from his goal, was shocking and did nothing all night.

The search for a goalscorer continues...

Ryan Fraser and John Mcginn seem to be doing not to badly as inside forwards.  But yes, we could do with a goal scoring centre forward.

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

Adams played well and has 1 assist and 1 goal in 3 caps, and his goal was a great finish last night. 

He isn't a goalscorer, though.

I'm a fan of Dykes, he's a worker and he throws his weight around.

I've already said what I think of Adams.

Looking at it, though. The issues are much deeper than that. In the entire match our two starting strikers only managed two shots. That's a sobering stat.

22 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Agree with all of this and I reckon Adams will become our main striker unless someone else steps up in the foreseeable future.

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Agree with all of this and I reckon Adams will become our main striker unless someone else steps up in the foreseeable future.

Adams has probably put himself in contention to be the starting striker, although he was by no means brilliant. Dykes had lost his spark and looks a bit leaden footed. A three week injury would do him the power of good. 

2nd in group so not all bad.  I still think we can beat Denmark if we play on the front foot.  The group of players are what Clarke has to work with.  Thank god mcGinn got his finger out.  I think we could grow in to a decent side that is hard to beat.  Glass half full and all that.

30 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

He isn't a goalscorer, though.

I'm a fan of Dykes, he's a worker and he throws his weight around.

I've already said what I think of Adams.

Looking at it, though. The issues are much deeper than that. In the entire match our two starting strikers only managed two shots. That's a sobering stat.

Your hate of Adams is embarrassing. TA Troll

8 hours ago, King Of Paisley said:

Think tonight saw the end of Griffiths’ international career. Clear as day Adams has nailed the main striker role now. 

Disagree entirely, for me Adams has offered little hope that he's going to be anything special at all. Griffiths put more into the performance in his last couple of appearances. 

A better win than I expected last night and it was much-needed.

However, we have much to work still work on. We must be pressurising players in our third of the pitch when they get on the ball. I'd guess if you look back over a lot of the matches in Clarke's reign and before we concede goals because we do not pressurise the opposition players when on the ball. We back off and backtrack allowing players to get a shot in that leads to a goal or get a cross in that leads to a goal. This was the case for both goals V Austria, Israel's goal and The Faroe Islands best efforts on goal last night. Do that in the Euros and we will pay dearly.

12 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

A better win than I expected last night and it was much-needed.

However, we have much to work still work on. We must be pressurising players in our third of the pitch when they get on the ball. I'd guess if you look back over a lot of the matches in Clarke's reign and before we concede goals because we do not pressurise the opposition players when on the ball. We back off and backtrack allowing players to get a shot in that leads to a goal or get a cross in that leads to a goal. This was the case for both goals V Austria, Israel's goal and The Faroe Islands best efforts on goal last night. Do that in the Euros and we will pay dearly.

Agree.  The other teams nowadays don't back off but we can.  Hope no one minds me mentioning Rangers here but it reminds me of the teams that Rangers play in Scotland or Europe.  Kilmarnock to pick an example.  They are right on to every Rangers player giving them little room.  Ally McCoist said a few months ago that the players are so much fitter now and that is true.  My point is that Scotland should be pressing harder now.  Just spoke to my Jambo pal.  We are optimistic and think Clarke and the squad will  improve and gel. Stand on 👍

Better than I thought last night fraser looks a better international player than a club player for me recently.

Forwards against better quality opposition will still be a problem unfortunately 

However last night showed that we gave Austria too much respect they aren’t anything special, Denmark will be too strong for us though.

dykes and mcburnie are both a mixture of the same thing and are both pretty useless and we need to find forwards from somwhere .

we need to move on from the thoughts of griffiths though his brief moments in the sun were years ago now.

Edited by DAVIDB46

2 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Better than I thought last night fraser looks a better international player than a club player for me recently.

Forwards against better quality opposition will still be a problem unfortunately 

However last night showed that we gave Austria too much respect they aren’t anything special, Denmark will be too strong for us though.

dykes and mcburnie are both a mixture of the same thing and are both pretty useless and we need to find forwards from somwhere .

I disagree about Denmark.  Bring them on.

Adams is nowhere near the player that thumb was..... and prob still is. Prob is obvious that he can’t hack the knuckling down bit. I’d still take him to the euros depending on last few league games. If he can get a few goals and prove he’s up for these games he’d be in.

as for mcburnie being technically the poorest Scotland player you can think of...... ladies & gentlefolk, I urge you to think of mr k Kyle.

10 hours ago, OLAS said:

But he wasn't that good.   It was the Faroe Islands.   I think Adams was pish, he was pish every time he played but he got the time to score.  

Griffiths is a good player no matter the opposition.    He's proven that.      I'd play him. 

I must have watched a completely different game last night then.

Adams is scoring goals in the EPL. Griffiths can’t even command a place in a shite Celtic team.

Case closed

A very good win indeed. Although we did struggle a bit after scoring early on.

The Faroes are a decent side. Just look at their recent record, very rarely are they pumped these days. The Faroese Champions were 45 minutes away from making the group stages of the Europa League this year, I've been laughed at for this, but they are the best football team in the world per population in my opinion. A country the size of Arbroath, unbelievable. So fair dues to them, they played a bit of football and had a go.

Adams was very good. He's nailed on now as the starter with those three performances. I was a little worried at his couple of scuffed attempts in the first two matches, fearing we had found another hard worker who cannot score, but that was a lovely finish. I don't like to put down players, but you can see the difference between him and Dykes - who did well in spells, but ultimately I fear he's probably not consistently good enough for international level and a starting spot every time.

Tierney - outstanding. Three brilliant games. Thankfully I missed the Israeli away game when he scored the OG in the Nations League a few years back, but I'm generally struggling to think of a bad game from him for us, and for the anthem singing (I'm joking) but when we played Holland under MacKay 0-1 loss, he was captain and I mind him singing it then, so for the KT 100% package, make him captain and he'll sing :) I'm fair havering on, but that was a shite attempt at a joke..

There is still worries about the defence overall though, and a better side probably would have scored at some point last night. Gordon did well when called upon, I'm really torn over the goalkeeping position. Marshall has generally been very good for us but he's prone to the odd blunder in general, although he's been out of sorts with his club too, so let's see what the next few months brings but its between him, Gordon and I'd have Liam Kelly as our third keeper. McGregor fecked off, so he can GTF.

Kenny McLean had a solid performance as well. Picking the 23 for the Euros might actually be quite difficult on who gets dropped. 

A decent-ish start, although not winning one of the Israeli or Austrian games is a disappointment, but considering the way qualifying in general is going and Denmark winning 4-0 in Vienna last night, along with Israeli strolling in Chisnau ; there will be more twists in this group. 

Qualifying is far from over, yes dropping points especially at home was disappointing, but if we get something in Denmark, beat Moldova and then again get something in Vienna, I reckon we'll be in a decent position with - Denmark, Moldova, Israel all to come at home and the Faroes in Tórshavn.. You'd hope some form of crowd at Hampden, and you never know, might well be enough..

A long way to go and a Euros to focus on, but overall a 6.5 out of 10 for the three games. 

31 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

I disagree about Denmark.  Bring them on.

Denmark have genuine quality all the way through their team. They could choose an eleven from Schmeichel in goal, they can field a team with Chelsea, AC Milan, Atalanta and Udinese defenders, or possibly big Vestergaard who is a terrific centre half. Midfield of Inter Milan, Spurs, Valencia and Borussia Dortmund. Up front it's Barcelona and RB Leipzig. By all means, bring them on. They are, however, on an upwards trajectory in the cyclical nature of quality players coming through and they could do us some proper damage. I actually fancy them to be challenging for at least semi finals over the next 4 or 5 years.

1 minute ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Denmark have genuine quality all the way through their team. They could choose an eleven from Schmeichel in goal, they can field a team with Chelsea, AC Milan, Atalanta and Udinese defenders, or possibly big Vestergaard who is a terrific centre half. Midfield of Inter Milan, Spurs, Valencia and Borussia Dortmund. Up front it's Barcelona and RB Leipzig. By all means, bring them on. They are, however, on an upwards trajectory in the cyclical nature of quality players coming through and they could do us some proper damage. I actually fancy them to be challenging for at least semi finals over the next 4 or 5 years.

They are probably at decent odds for the euros. Maybe worth a cheeky bet.