Scotland v The Faroe Islands - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v The Faroe Islands

Caledonian Craig

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Travesty? its an average/poor group of players and the euros was 16 teams back then. we did get screwed by groups but i reckon that squad would defo qualify today for a 24 team euro comp

Harsh. That was an above average/good group of players. If our seeding hadn't been so poor from the Berti Vogts era, we might have had more favourable qualifying rounds. We almost always had the group of death. Equal and worse teams than us were qualifying for tournaments back then.

10 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Harsh. That was an above average/good group of players. If our seeding hadn't been so poor from the Berti Vogts era, we might have had more favourable qualifying rounds. We almost always had the group of death. Equal and worse teams than us were qualifying for tournaments back then.

just look at the level and the clubs the players play for. fair enough its good group of players by our standards but compared to alot of nations its average and i am not just talking elite nations either.

23 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

just look at the level and the clubs the players play for. fair enough its good group of players by our standards but compared to alot of nations its average and i am not just talking elite nations either.

At that time both Celtic and Rangers were regularly playing in the champions league and getting to European finals. We all know McFadden, (and arguably Maloney) had the talent to play for much bigger teams than they did. They were big game players that deserved better. Sadly both were ravaged by injuries.

I think you are a bit too fixated on what teams players play for. It is 1 of 30 variables that is the measure of a man.

11 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

At that time both Celtic and Rangers were regularly playing in the champions league and getting to European finals. We all know McFadden, (and arguably Maloney) had the talent to play for much bigger teams than they did. They were big game players that deserved better. Sadly both were ravaged by injuries.

I think you are a bit too fixated on what teams players play for. It is 1 of 30 variables that is the measure of a man.

mcfadden spent his career on the bench for everton, i loved him for scotland but as player in general he was average and would never of made it at a top side. fair enough maloney suffered from injuries but he was never playing for a top side either. he failed at aston villa and had brief spell with wigan in the epl. i liked him and he had talent but its not exactly a travesty that those two never got to a tournament especially when it was a 16 team euros.

fair enough celtic and rangers were slightly better than today but even so that squad is full of average/poor players who never went to tournaments because they werent good enough. if you look at from a non scotland fan perspective then its clear imo.

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

And in fairness, I do pronounce it with an "n". Kinda we all say "Gallacker" when it's "Gallagher".

But yeah, lighten up, mate. It's just spelling. It's all good. Just do you. :)

Not to be pedantic but I don’t. 
I say “Gallacker” when it’s Gallacher, which is correct and I say “Gallagger” when it’s Gallagher. 

Kevin “Gallacker”

Bernard “Gallagger”

They are different names.

Here to help! 👍

38 minutes ago, Marky said:

I say “Gallacker” when it’s Gallacher, which is correct and I say “Gallagger” when it’s Gallagher. 

Kevin “Gallacker”

Bernard “Gallagger”

Here to help! 👍

It's not 'Gallacker' anymore than it's 'Lock Lomond.'

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

mcfadden spent his career on the bench for everton, i loved him for scotland but as player in general he was average and would never of made it at a top side. fair enough maloney suffered from injuries but he was never playing for a top side either. he failed at aston villa and had brief spell with wigan in the epl. i liked him and he had talent but its not exactly a travesty that those two never got to a tournament especially when it was a 16 team euros.

fair enough celtic and rangers were slightly better than today but even so that squad is full of average/poor players who never went to tournaments because they werent good enough. if you look at from a non scotland fan perspective then its clear imo.

Man, the last 23 years must have been abject misery watching Scotland if this is how you feel. You've not really been glowing about the current crop either though.

I prefer to have the mindset that we have underachieved at various points for numerous reasons (e.g 2007, 2015). I won't try to convince you of that.

Anyway, let's batter this lot tonight and bring back the joy.

21 hours ago, shug macdiarmid said:

What really bothers me is we still have to play them away. For years I had this recurring nightmare of wheezing up the hill to Toftir Stadium on a damp September evening and last night that awful dream returned. At the top we jostled impatiently at the slow turnstiles moaning that we would miss the first goal. Actually we did miss it but luckily just as we got inside Jakub Borg repeated the trick of skinning Stephen Crainey and laying it on for John Petersen to score number two. 12 minutes gone and life expectations, much less football ones, would never be the same again. Astonishingly our star strike force (Kevin Kyle and Scott Dobie) failed to rip new ones for the islanders and we limped back to Torshavn with a scarcely deserved draw. The 36 hour wake/celebration with new found friends didn’t quite camouflage the shame and sheer horror of the performance. I just want a win, any win, and not to draw the Faroes in another tournament. Whale meat never again..

I see the endless aliases never end for the big man. 😄

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

My team, too. Except I'd stick with Hanley and see if he can form a decent partnership with Hendry. 

Maybe so, but I cannot work out why he was preferred to Gallacher in the first place. Having said that it is good to have a choice.

2 hours ago, Marky said:

Kevin “Gallacker”

Bernard “Gallagger”

Here to help! 👍

Not to be even more pedantic but that’s not right. Gallacher is not pronounced Gallacker. Maybe if you’re English! For me, both are pronounced Gallacher.

OT can anyone confirm that in Scotland tonight the England game will be live on the free view ITV and their state radio bbc 5live too with the Scotland match only available if you pay the devil aka Sky ? A neighbour in England doesn’t believe that could be the case. 
3-0 or 1-1

12 minutes ago, Shaundy said:

OT can anyone confirm that in Scotland tonight the England game will be live on the free view ITV and their state radio bbc 5live too with the Scotland match only available if you pay the devil aka Sky ? A neighbour in England doesn’t believe that could be the case. 
3-0 or 1-1

Yes. The England match is live on STV tonight at 19:15.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Man, the last 23 years must have been abject misery watching Scotland if this is how you feel. You've not really been glowing about the current crop either though.

I prefer to have the mindset that we have underachieved at various points for numerous reasons (e.g 2007, 2015). I won't try to convince you of that.

Anyway, let's batter this lot tonight and bring back the joy.

lol its had its ups and downs. i am not all doom and gloom, we do have some quality players in our current squad but i still  struggle to see us qualifying for a 32 team world cup. i will be happy with us getting to the euros every 4 years from now on.

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

lol its had its ups and downs. i am not all doom and gloom, we do have some quality players in our current squad but i still  struggle to see us qualifying for a 32 team world cup. i will be happy with us getting to the euros every 4 years from now on.

As much as I want to qualify for the World Cup, I would sacrifice the next one if I knew it meant we were a better team because of it. What I mean by that is, drawing to Israel was a poor result, but I think Clarke will have learned that a back 3 won't always be the best option. He'll now know that Plan B and C may be necessary. If we'd won playing a back 3, then that is pretty much all we'd ever use for the forseeable. There can be positives from that result.

One thing I hope he has also learned is that we desperately need players that can hit set pieces. When plan A, B, and C don't work, sometimes you need a bit of magic from a free-kick or corner. Something that Turnbull or Griffiths provide. There is no one in the current 25 that I would be confident could do what either of them could at set pieces.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Team news:-

SCOTLAND TEAM NEWS

Starting XI: Gordon, Fraser, Hanley, Tierney, Robertson, McLean, McTominay, McGregor, McGinn, Dykes, Adams.

Subs: Marshall, McLaughlin, O’Donnell, Hendry, Armstrong, Christie, Fleck, Gallagher, McKenna, Nisbet, McBurnie, Palmer.

Whos playing right back ( right wing back)?

1 minute ago, Lion Rampant said:

Fraser presumably right wing back with the expectation that he won't be doing much defending. 

Thank god you suggested that, I’ve been looking at the names on Twitter and struggling to get a formation out of it 😂