Scotland v The Faroe Islands - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v The Faroe Islands

Caledonian Craig

We need an attacking intent from the offset and feel we need to get out of this trough that we can only play 3-5-2. Also need attacking intent running through the team:-

Marshall

Robertson     Hanley     Hendry     Tierney

McTominay     McGinn     Armstrong

Christie

Adams     Fraser

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We need an attacking intent from the offset and feel we need to get out of this trough that we can only play 3-5-2. Also need attacking intent running through the team:-

Marshall

Robertson     Hanley     Hendry     Tierney

McTominay     McGinn     Armstrong

Christie

Adams     Fraser

This is almost exactly the team I'd play. It gets all of our best players on the park, and is a fantastic opportunity to experiment with different formations. If Robertson/Tierney don't feel comfortable at RB, this would be the perfect time to figure that out.

I'd give Adams and Dykes a half each. It's clear those are our 2 main striking options for the Euros, so give them a chance to get a goal under their belt. 

2 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Serious questions would need to be asked if a team with as limited a pool of players as the Faroes having their third away game in a week turn in a higher energy display than we manage.  

Hopefully they'll be absolutely knackered though and we should hopefully have enough depth to take advantage.    

Hadn't thought about that. Just as well we are getting them in their third game. :lol:

Fraser I feel needs to play as he is one of the few that offers a goal threat .

He is unusual in that he is one of our few players who do look comfortable at international level, he looks better at international level that he does at club level .

There are other things that Clarke may have to factor into his final selections too. The likes of Hanley, Dykes, Christie, O'Donnell and Hendry are all on bookings. It means they risk suspension and missing a key match in Denmark.

That being the case it could see Clarke switch Robertson or Tierney to right-back to omit O'Donnell and go to a back four. Also I think that will ensure Adams starts upfront and I'd hazard a bet if he wants to freshen it up in attack either McBurnie or Nisbet will come on and not Dykes as you'd hope game would be won by that point. 

Edited by Caledonian Craig

What really bothers me is we still have to play them away. For years I had this recurring nightmare of wheezing up the hill to Toftir Stadium on a damp September evening and last night that awful dream returned. At the top we jostled impatiently at the slow turnstiles moaning that we would miss the first goal. Actually we did miss it but luckily just as we got inside Jakub Borg repeated the trick of skinning Stephen Crainey and laying it on for John Petersen to score number two. 12 minutes gone and life expectations, much less football ones, would never be the same again. Astonishingly our star strike force (Kevin Kyle and Scott Dobie) failed to rip new ones for the islanders and we limped back to Torshavn with a scarcely deserved draw. The 36 hour wake/celebration with new found friends didn’t quite camouflage the shame and sheer horror of the performance. I just want a win, any win, and not to draw the Faroes in another tournament. Whale meat never again..

2 minutes ago, shug macdiarmid said:

What really bothers me is we still have to play them away. For years I had this recurring nightmare of wheezing up the hill to Toftir Stadium on a damp September evening and last night that awful dream returned. At the top we jostled impatiently at the slow turnstiles moaning that we would miss the first goal. Actually we did miss it but luckily just as we got inside Jakub Borg repeated the trick of skinning Stephen Crainey and laying it on for John Petersen to score number two. 12 minutes gone and life expectations, much less football ones, would never be the same again. Astonishingly our star strike force (Kevin Kyle and Scott Dobie) failed to rip new ones for the islanders and we limped back to Torshavn with a scarcely deserved draw. The 36 hour wake/celebration with new found friends didn’t quite camouflage the shame and sheer horror of the performance. I just want a win, any win, and not to draw the Faroes in another tournament. Whale meat never again..

Could have been worse

Could have lost at home to Luxembourg

This time last week i would went for a 3-0. Heids down a bit now but so not as sure. Would like to think we can get see a good performance and a few goals. Certainly dont think it will be straightforward, clarkes got to play a strong team and make sure of a win. Only players worth resting are those facing a suspension if hes gonna rest anyone. I cannae face another disappointment tomorrow!

1 hour ago, shug macdiarmid said:

I was trying to banish that memory to the dungeons in my mind. It is a stark reminder of how far we can fall, but also how far we've grown. Looking back to that time, we barely had any players you would class as international level players. This was prior to our relative purple patch. D.Fletcher, McFadden, and Gordon hadn't quite broken through yet.

For perspective, this was the squad we had in that game:

Scotland: Douglas, Ross, Crainey, Dailly, Weir, Dickov, Ferguson, Lambert, Johnston, Kyle, Dobie.

Substitutes: Gallacher, McNaughton, Thompson, Wilkie, Alexander, Williams, Crawford

How many of them would make our squad, never mind the starting 11?

Edited by Tartan blood

2 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Scotland: Douglas, Ross, Crainey, Dailly, Weir, Dickov, Ferguson, Lambert, Johnston, Kyle, Dobie.

Substitutes: Gallacher, McNaughton, Thompson, Wilkie, Alexander, Williams, Crawford

Well I'd take Dailly and Weir in defence. Also Ferguson and Lambery from midfield. Alexander as back-up right-back too so it was not all back.

7 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I was trying to banish that memory to the dungeons in my mind. It is a stark reminder of how far we can fall, but also how far we've grown. Looking back to that time, we barely had any players you would class as international level players. This was prior to our relative purple patch. D.Fletcher, McFadden, and Gordon hadn't quite broken through yet.

To be honest; Douglas, Dailly, Weir, Ferguson & Lambert would get in this side. 

Tierney wont start, Arsenal are concerned with him playing three games. 

I reckon John Fleck will start along with McLean - if Jack doesn't start then its three games with no action - to call him up for the tournament at the expense of Gauld or Turnbull is indefensible.

Off topic -  We really miss Ryan Jack, as much as we have better midfielders Graeme Shinnie might have been worth calling up just to be that no nonsense defensive minded midfielder. 

17 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Tierney wont start, Arsenal are concerned with him playing three games. 

I reckon John Fleck will start along with McLean - if Jack doesn't start then its three games with no action - to call him up for the tournament at the expense of Gauld or Turnbull is indefensible.

Off topic -  We really miss Ryan Jack, as much as we have better midfielders Graeme Shinnie might have been worth calling up just to be that no nonsense defensive minded midfielder. 

Jack has already been withdrawn - 26 man squad down to 25 and not replaced.

18 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Graeme Shinnie might have been worth calling up just to be that no nonsense defensive minded midfielder. 

Yep.

I called that one.

Without Jack, there is genuine defensive minded midfielder.

People objected to me saying that McGregor and McTominay and McGinn are babysat in the double-pivot t club level.

The previous two matches prove it.

8 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

At 107 in the World, they're the lowest ranked team we've faced since we switching to three at the back.

Just shows how many decent teams we have placed in recent times, and never disgraced ourselves.

In their last 10 matches they've won 3, lost 3 and drew 4

They're be more scared of us than we are of them.

We'll win 4-0.

Marshall 

Hanley  -  Gallagher  -  McKenna

Hendry                                   Robertson 

McTominay  -  Tierney

McGinn

Dykes  -  Fraser

Manchester United christen their double-pivot "McFred". It's time for us to introduce "McTierney" 😛

Do you know - that could work but a recent poster has suggested Arsenal won't want him to play 3 games.

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

Do you know - that could work but a recent poster has suggested Arsenal won't want him to play 3 games.

Damn. Probably, actually. He has missed a few Arsenal matches recently.

I think it's definitely something to ponder for Steve Clarke in the future. Tierney oozes quality, no matter what is asked of him.

5 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yep.

I called that one.

Without Jack, there is genuine defensive minded midfielder.

People objected to me saying that McGregor and McTominay and McGinn are babysat in the double-pivot t club level.

The previous two matches prove it.

You also advocate 3 at the back when it’s clearly needing changed in any game we want to dominate 

Just now, ProudScot said:

You also advocate 3 at the back when it’s clearly needing changed in any game we want to dominate 

Overlapping centerbacks.

Or a centre back from either side stepping forward into midfield when we have possession. Making it a central three in midfield.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Jack has already been withdrawn - 26 man squad down to 25 and not replaced.

I was referring to in hindsight when he pulled out, we will be fine tomorrow but we missed Jack big time in the first two games.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

To be honest; Douglas, Dailly, Weir, Ferguson & Lambert would get in this side. 

Douglas probably would have got in as the 3rd keeper. The rest could stake a claim to start. But basically that's 5 players out of a whole squad that would get in the current squad. That just shows you how massive our talent pool is now in comparison.

I don't want to take anything away from Clarke, but he is very fortunate to have arguably the best group of players to choose from this decade. Circa 2007 aside, you could argue this century as well.