Scotland v The Faroe Islands - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland v The Faroe Islands

Caledonian Craig

A definite must win match but if we turn in a first half V Israel performance it will make for very uncomfortable viewing and we could quite easily fall behind. The Faroe Islands have shown they are no mugs having taken the lead in their first two matches away to Moldova and Austria. They drew in Moldova and lost 3-1 against Austria which certainly isn't an embarrassment. Clarke needs a new approach for this match - higher tempo and pressing high up the pitch from the start and creative midfield players chosen over defensive-minded midfielders. An injection of positivity is needed NOW.

20 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

A definite must win match but if we turn in a first half V Israel performance it will make for very uncomfortable viewing and we could quite easily fall behind. The Faroe Islands have shown they are no mugs having taken the lead in their first two matches away to Moldova and Austria. They drew in Moldova and lost 3-1 against Austria which certainly isn't an embarrassment. Clarke needs a new approach for this match - higher tempo and pressing high up the pitch from the start and creative midfield players chosen over defensive-minded midfielders. An injection of positivity is needed NOW.

So it’s unlikely we’ll see a 7-0 demolition of the Faroes then ?? 

18 minutes ago, wanderer said:

While would love a repeat of the game at Celtic Park in 2006, or something like the Gibraltar games, I suspect we will make hard work of this and come out with a 2-1 victory or something to that effect.

Based on recent performances, I would agree. But if in the unlikely event that we do build a two or three goal lead, we need to push on and go for as many goals as possible. We have already "dropped" four points on Austria, if we can outscore them against the lower ranked teams that might effectively get us the equivalent of half a point back. We shouldn't just sit back on a two goal lead and say "job done, three points in the bag"

Looking for any scraps of encouragement here. 

Faroes results since start of 2020

• W 3-2 v Malta
  • W 1-0 v Andorra
  • L 4-0 v Denmark
  • D 1-1 v Latvia
  • W 2-0 v Andorra
  • L 2-1 v Lithuania
  • D 1-1 v Latvia
  • D 1-1 v Malta
  • D 1-1 v Moldova
  • L 3-1 v Austria

P 10, W 3, D 4, L 3.

The do tend to score goals, although their opposition has been mainly teams of a similar level.  I expect a tight game and the longer it is 0-0 the more nervous we will be.  We really do need to start the game strongly.

My XI would be -

Marshall

Tierney     Hanley     Hendry     Robertson

McTominay     McGregor

Armstrong    McGinn     Fraser

Adams

Edited by PASTA Mick

1 minute ago, PASTA Mick said:

• W 3-2 v Malta
  • W 1-0 v Andorra
  • L 4-0 v Denmark
  • D 1-1 v Latvia
  • W 2-0 v Andorra
  • L 2-1 v Lithuania
  • D 1-1 v Latvia
  • D 1-1 v Malta
  • D 1-1 v Moldova
  • L 3-1 v Austria

P 10, W 3, D 4, L 3.

The do tend to score goals, although their opposition has been mainly teams of a similar level.  I expect a tight game and the longer it is 0-0 the more nervous we will be.  We really do need to start the game strongly.

My XI would be -

Marshall

McTominay     McGregor

Adams

Pretty good. Bit harsh dropping O'Donnell and only change I'd make is dropping McGregor slotting Armstrong in there and Christie in your Armstrong slot. McGregor screams negativity.

At 107 in the World, they're the lowest ranked team we've faced since we switching to three at the back.

Just shows how many decent teams we have placed in recent times, and never disgraced ourselves.

In their last 10 matches they've won 3, lost 3 and drew 4

They're be more scared of us than we are of them.

We'll win 4-0.

Marshall 

Hanley  -  Gallagher  -  McKenna

Hendry                                   Robertson 

McTominay  -  Tierney

McGinn

Dykes  -  Fraser

Manchester United christen their double-pivot "McFred". It's time for us to introduce "McTierney" 😛

Edited by Taylor1996

16 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

• W 3-2 v Malta
  • W 1-0 v Andorra
  • L 4-0 v Denmark
  • D 1-1 v Latvia
  • W 2-0 v Andorra
  • L 2-1 v Lithuania
  • D 1-1 v Latvia
  • D 1-1 v Malta
  • D 1-1 v Moldova
  • L 3-1 v Austria

P 10, W 3, D 4, L 3.

My XI would be -

Marshall

McTominay     McGregor

Adams

Why leave out the left-sided Tierney for the right-sided Hendry when the last game showed he absolutely CAN play in a back four? Otherwise I like your selection.

5 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

At 107 in the World, they're the lowest ranked team we've faced since we switching to three at the back.

Just shows how many decent teams we have placed in recent times, and never disgraced ourselves.

In their last 10 matches they've won 3, lost 3 and drew 4

They're be more scared of us than we are of them.

I fucking hope so 😂😂😂

I’m expecting a turgid performance and a win by a goal or 2.

Losing faith rapidly in Clarke unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

Why leave out the left-sided Tierney for the right-sided Hendry when the last game showed he absolutely CAN play in a back four? Otherwise I like your selection.

Sorry just noticed you have him in for SOD. But surely the argument for putting him at RB is long dead now? There should not be too many changes; we need continuity in team building.

Just now, ParisInAKilt said:

I fucking hope so 😂😂😂

lol

For some (unfounded reason) I'm optimistic about this one. I think it'll be a four goal win, easily.

We're all being unduly harsh on Clarke. Progress is definitely being made. We ARE harder to score against and to beat. That's a foundation.

2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

lol

For some (unfounded reason) I'm optimistic about this one. I think it'll be a four goal win, easily.

We're all being unduly harsh on Clarke. Progress is definitely being made. We ARE harder to score against and to beat. That's a foundation.

Possibly, but the first half against Israel reminded me at times of the first half against Kazakhstan but only with poorer finishing.

We’re a missed penalty against Israel or Serbia from feeling completely different I think.  

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Possibly, but the first half against Israel reminded me at times of the first half against Kazakhstan but only with poorer finishing.

We’re a missed penalty against Israel or Serbia from feeling completely different I think.  

I know. Me, too. It wasn't great viewing. But the upside is that we can back, again. There was about a decade where when we went behind, that was it. This squad is showing grit... that's something to grasp onto.

Most definitely, but we were due. Over the  years we've been on the other side of things, it's nice to be on the pleasant side for a change.

4 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I know. Me, too. It wasn't great viewing. But the upside is that we can back, again. There was about a decade where when we went behind, that was it. This squad is showing grit... that's something to grasp onto.

Most definitely, but we were due. Over the  years we've been on the other side of things, it's nice to be on the pleasant side for a change.

Right up until about 2 years ago it was assumed that once we lost 1 goal, it would turn into 2 or 3 more. The idea of staging a fightback seemed futile. I'm certainly not happy about the last 2 results, but we are definitely showing that we aren't just going to rollover when it isn't going our way.

It makes it doubly frustrating that when we are playing against teams we are struggling to break down that we don't have a player like Turnbull or Griffiths that can conjour up a piece of magic, either from a set piece or open play. Especially when we have Hendry, McTominay, Hanley and Dykes to aim at.

Dare I say it, but if Clarke is going to persist with McBurnie, he needs to play him against the Faroes. Obviously I'd prefer to see Dykes and Adams getting goals instead.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Based on recent performances, I would agree. But if in the unlikely event that we do build a two or three goal lead, we need to push on and go for as many goals as possible. We have already "dropped" four points on Austria, if we can outscore them against the lower ranked teams that might effectively get us the equivalent of half a point back. We shouldn't just sit back on a two goal lead and say "job done, three points in the bag"

Looking for any scraps of encouragement here. 

I think we need to match/better Austria's 3-1 win over the Fareos, and hope that Austria-Denmark is a draw or a Denmark victory (I am putting Denmark's victory over Moldova as a "freak" result, as they did not look all that much better than we did against Israel, so that game could actually go either way) to maybe make up up the dropped points this week.

Early goal is really needed to settle things, as the longer it goes 0-0, more we have a habit of doing something stupid.

Maximum positivity required

McLaughlin  (Marshall off it and need to test this fella to see if he's a keeper keeper.)

McTominay Hanley Tierney  (surely a great game for both McT and KT to forage forward from the back while Hanley has       proven he can grab a goal)

Armstrong McGinn Christie Robertson  (Arm to concentrate on linking with Adams)

Adams Dykes Fraser

Serious questions would need to be asked if a team with as limited a pool of players as the Faroes having their third away game in a week turn in a higher energy display than we manage.  

Hopefully they'll be absolutely knackered though and we should hopefully have enough depth to take advantage.    

39 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Important to note that Faroe Islands beat Greece home and away in the recent Euro Qualification campaign.

Just in case anyone thinks FI are similar to Andorra/San Marino !!

46 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I fucking hope so 😂😂😂

An uninspiring 2-0 win and Steve Clarke lamenting how we are second in the group after the match. 

Sounds pretty likely. 

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Right up until about 2 years ago it was assumed that once we lost 1 goal, it would turn into 2 or 3 more. The idea of staging a fightback seemed futile. I'm certainly not happy about the last 2 results, but we are definitely showing that we aren't just going to rollover when it isn't going our way.

It makes it doubly frustrating that when we are playing against teams we are struggling to break down that we don't have a player like Turnbull or Griffiths that can conjour up a piece of magic, either from a set piece or open play. Especially when we have Hendry, McTominay, Hanley and Dykes to aim at.

Dare I say it, but if Clarke is going to persist with McBurnie, he needs to play him against the Faroes. Obviously I'd prefer to see Dykes and Adams getting goals instead.

I know. It was like we might as well call it a defeat when the fell behind. Seems like that was the case forever. Yep. We might not always play well, but we always seem to show grit and determination.

I know. Clarke missed a trick by not calling up Turnbull, Gauld or Gilmour. This was their only chance to stake a claim for Euro 2020. Gauld, literally, could not do any more.

Yep. It's a chance for a striker to fill their boots. I think Adams will get the nod.

9 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

I feel we will be the ones looking unfit as we have such poor fitness levels and I suspect it’s not something that gets overly looked at during training

I mean, there isn't much Clarke can do about that. You can't improve fitness in a few days. If you think the players are unfit, you would need to look at their clubs. I don't know if all of the Faroes team are even full professionals. I doubt fitness will be an issue.