Why the gloom? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Why the gloom?

Big Ramy 1314

It's a different sport but Marshall said he'd watched Scotland best France at the rugby. I 'd like to see more of the rugby boys attitude. They seem to have a much more positive mindset, they turn up looking to WIN and if they don't, they will give it a right good go. Our footballers are no world beaters but we have decent players, seems it's the mentality, too defensive, too negative, too respectful and has been for too long.

3 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

It's a different sport but Marshall said he'd watched Scotland best France at the rugby. I 'd like to see more of the rugby boys attitude. They seem to have a much more positive mindset, they turn up looking to WIN and if they don't, they will give it a right good go. Our footballers are no world beaters but we have decent players, seems it's the mentality, too defensive, too negative, too respectful and has been for too long.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday when I went for my post game cool down walk. My nephew is capped for Scotland at some level and I plan to talk to him about this when I can.

3 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I was thinking the same thing yesterday when I went for my post game cool down walk. My nephew is capped for Scotland at some level and I plan to talk to him about this when I can.

Some of that actually comes from having the talents of Hogg and Russell. Unfortunately we haven't got the football equivalents but those two were missing for chunks of Friday night anyway, it was a team effort, we will claw our way back into this. Where's that happening in the Scotland camp?

Have Scotland ever won the 6 nations?

I'm guessing no.

Won the 5 nations in what, 99? 

Yeah. Such winning mentality.

If we're going to take mentality advice from sportsmen: there's Andy Murray, Stephen Hendry, John Higgins, Gary Anderson, Jamie Murray, Jackie Stewart, Sir Alex Ferguson, Kenny Dalglish, George Graham, Peter Wright, Walter Smith, Graeme Souness, etc.

We might as well ask Vinny Jones  and his Wimbledon colleagues to give the players a pep talk. Watching a rugby match is akin to watching the 90s Crazy Gang, without the entertainment. 

Edited by Taylor1996

13 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Yes, and Gregor Townsend is a big football fan, apparently showed potential before switching to rugby. Really friendly with Alan Archibald when Glasgow played their home games at Firhill, no idea if it rubbed off with the Jags but it coincided with our best season for 30 odd years. When Glasgow went to Scotstoun, Thistle went in the direction of the third tier.

Just saying like. 

Seriously, think both sports want the other to do well so any shared experiences could help.

OAM I saw Any Murray saying he might becomes a football coach when he retires, not sure about that but a motivational session or two at the start of international breaks should be possible. 

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

Yes, and Gregor Townsend is a big football fan, apparently showed potential before switching to rugby. Really friendly with Alan Archibald when Glasgow played their home games at Firhill, no idea if it rubbed off with the Jags but it coincided with our best season for 30 odd years. When Glasgow went to Scotstoun, Thistle went in the direction of the third tier.

Just saying like. 

Seriously, think both sports want the other to do well so any shared experiences could help.

OAM I saw Any Murray saying he might becomes a football coach when he retires, not sure about that but a motivational session or two at the start of international breaks should be possible. 

Steve Clarke and Andy Murray as motivational speakers? I couldn’t think of anyone I’d rather not listen to drone on more than those two. 

Edited by McTeeko

16 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Have Scotland ever won the 6 nations?

I'm guessing no.

Won the 5 nations in what, 99? 

Yeah. Such winning mentality.

If we're going to take mentality advice from sportsmen: there's Andy Murray, Stephen Hendry, John Higgins, Gary Anderson, Jamie Murray, Jackie Stewart, Sir Alex Ferguson, Kenny Dalglish, George Graham, Peter Wright, Walter Smith, Graeme Souness, etc.

We might as well ask Vinny Jones  and his Wimbledon colleagues to give the players a pep talk. Watching a rugby match is akin to watching the 90s Crazy Gang, without the entertainment. 

Taylor 1996.  Sorry I think you're missing my point or I didn't explain it clearly enough. There has been a considerable upturn around in Scottish rugby which has been in the doldrums almost as long as our football team. We didn't win the Six Nations but we did beat England away for the first time in 38 years and we beat France away for the first time in 22 years. Those are considerable achievements forged by a can do attitude, particularly as our two top performers were both missing for key periods of the game. A winning mentality doesn't mean that you win every game or tournament but it does mean that you have confidence in your own ability to secure victories. On Sunday we drew with Israel after yet another unconvincing performance. Too often we seem to let opportunities slip through our fingers because we don't believe in our own collective ability. Results come into that and create confidence, good players create that, but also leadership from the coaching staff. I have growing questions about the latter.

Edited by Hertsscot

47 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Taylor 1996.  Sorry I think you're missing my point or I didn't explain it clearly enough. There has been a considerable upturn around in Scottish rugby which has been in the doldrums almost as long as our football team. We didn't win the Six Nations but we did beat England away for the first time in 38 years and we beat France away for the first time in 22 years. Those are considerable achievements forged by a can do attitude, particularly as our two top performers were both missing for key periods of the game. A winning mentality doesn't mean that you win every game or tournament but it does mean that you have confidence in your own ability to secure victories. On Sunday we drew with Israel after yet another unconvincing performance. Too often we seem to let opportunities slip through our fingers because we don't believe in our own collective ability. Results come into that and create confidence, good players create that, but also leadership from the coaching staff. I have growing questions about the latter.

I suppose it's possible.

If you can gain insight and knowledge, it doesn't really matter where you get it from.

5 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Maybe we just need a manager who doesn’t put 10 men behind the ball who don’t press against Israel in a must win qualifier? 

Maybe I’m being harsh but that was a hard game to watch. 

Not harsh, I’d say that pretty bloody simple stuff that anyone apart from the manager and the wank media could see. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

After a couple more poor results we of course will have the usual suspects Craig Brown etc telling us how we are lucky to have Steve Clarke and we “just don’t have the players” etc, despite having our best squad since the 90s 

lets be honest not many managers wanted the job before it was given to clarke. its probably a slightly more attractive job now but you are kidding yourself if you think a higher calibre manager than clarke is taking the job. i think its strange how scotland fans have big expectations and are going into meltdown over two results that actually arent that bad.

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

lets be honest not many managers wanted the job before it was given to clarke. its probably a slightly more attractive job now but you are kidding yourself if you think a higher calibre manager than clarke is taking the job. i think its strange how scotland fans have big expectations and are going into meltdown over two results that actually arent that bad.

Evidence?

Why is it every club and national team are lucky to have the manager they have? They just happen to be blessed and can’t do better. 

Im always disgusted that this absolute utter drivel is spouted. 

10 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Is it big expectations to have some modern tactics? 

It’s not the just the last 2 results, it’s performances over the past few years, Clarke has made us harder to beat but we struggle to create chances and I suspect that will be reflected in the rest of the qualifiers and definitely at the euros. 

That level of performance against Israel is unacceptable from any team that has aspirations of making a World Cup. 

13 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Evidence?

Why is it every club and national team are lucky to have the manager they have? They just happen to be blessed and can’t do better. 

Im always disgusted that this absolute utter drivel is spouted. 

i aint saying we are lucky to have clarke but the evidence is clear that top class or even half decent managers wont take the scotland job. that is easy to see by the list of guys we have had manage us over the last 20 years. we dont offer enough money and alot of managers wont take the job as its a tough gig. its no coincidence that guys like walter smith and mcleish jump ship as soon a semi decent offer comes in. its amazing the expectations guys like yourself have. we have qualified for our first tournament in 22 years and now you think clarke should go because we played average/poor against teams of similar standard to us.

17 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Is it big expectations to have some modern tactics? 

It’s not the just the last 2 results, it’s performances over the past few years, Clarke has made us harder to beat but we struggle to create chances and I suspect that will be reflected in the rest of the qualifiers and definitely at the euros. 

That level of performance against Israel is unacceptable from any team that has aspirations of making a World Cup. 

well the truth is we are not a team that goes to world cups. we dont have the squad strength to go to the world cup. we only make the euros because its a 24 team tournament. we are still in contention for second in this group which is probably a more realistic target.

35 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

It’s a lot more than 2 results. 

The calling up of average older players instead of in form young players - something we do more than any other nation, coupled with the performances like Sunday night & how we win so few matches despite often playing teams around our own level due to nations league format etc 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

well the truth is we are not a team that goes to world cups. we dont have the squad strength to go to the world cup. we only make the euros because its a 24 team tournament. we are still in contention for second in this group which is probably a more realistic target.

Teams with worse squads than us make world cups 

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

We are not but I do feel Clarke and his team are holding us back, we’re brutal to watch and moral from the fan base would be a lot less if we missed a couple of pens. 

We’ll only finish second if we improve dramatically or Austria have a few unexpected results. 

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

It’s a lot more than 2 results. 

The calling up of average older players instead of in form young players - something we do more than any other nation, coupled with the performances like Sunday night & how we win so few matches despite often playing teams around our own level due to nations league format etc 

whos these world beaters that would of made a difference.i doubt guys like gilmour, turnbull and gauld would of made the difference. its always been the case after bad/average results that so and so would do better but they get a chance and end up doing very little. its easy to claim these other younger players would do better. we should be getting better results but its hardly terrible results we are getting either. i think ppl in here have short memories if they think these last two results were really that bad.

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

whos these world beaters that would of made a difference.i doubt guys like gilmour, turnbull and gauld would of made the difference. its always been the case after bad/average results that so and so would do better but they get a chance and end up doing very little. its easy to claim these other younger players would do better. we should be getting better results but its hardly terrible results we are getting either. i think ppl in here have short memories if they think these last two results were really that bad.

World beaters? Has Taylor taken over your account 🤣

Young players in form not being called up is something every Scotland fan, barring you it would seem, is aware of and disappointed by. 

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

World beaters? Has Taylor taken over your account 🤣

Young players in form not being called up is something every Scotland fan, barring you it would seem, is aware of and disappointed by. 

theres guys who arguably could of been called up to the squad but we also have lots of guys performing at a high level ahead of them. turnbull and gilmour are not ahead of guys like mcginn, mctominay, christie, armstrong. even if we did call those guys up they have no argument for starting ahead of players who are performing well every week in the epl,so its moot point.