Why the gloom? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Why the gloom?


Big Ramy 1314
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

I simply couldn't believe what i was watching in that first half and was so angry at the lack of pressure put on Israel.

The goal we conceded was simply embarrasing in terms of the whole move starting from the goalkeeper under no pressure then the defenders playing out from the back with ease. Then out to the left to the open player then 2 passes later they have a player in acres of space for a free shot. A total of zero attempted tackles by Scotland to stop the goal. Mctominay turns his back and marshall should save it. Just not good enough. 

But to be fair Israel could easily have been 3 nil up by half time as we played so deep inviting them on. Really was garbage.

Slightly better 2nd half as i would say that half was about even or us marginly even shading it. 

I think that happened a few times prior too?   Our back 5 often looked like a row of skittles inside our box.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the last ten games, we have conceded 8 goals, so we aren’t absolute brilliant defensively, but have only scored 9 goals. 

We have played Israel 4 times, Czechs and Slovaks twice, Serbia and Austria once. So no brilliant sides that we should have feared, but equally no real minnows.

We have won 3, drawn 5 and lost 2, Steve Clarke’s formation is a 352..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, stitch said:

Caledonian Craig you say it's not a good match up for us, that maybe true but why do we have a manager? He should be looking at this and setting the team in a way we can nullify there tactics. He has had plenty of chances to but seems to stick with playing deep dropping off and letting the opposition have time on the ball and loads of space. When we did push forward and close them down they made mistakes but only doing this a couple of times in 45 mins then rushing back and letting them play just doesn't work. I still think Clarke is trying to see what he can do for the euros as he may not be in the job after it. I'm definitely in agreement with a lot of people when they say we have the players to do a lot better. Our last 6 games have been dire and not picking the right players for the squad is telling me it's time to get Clarke out he is just getting so much wrong. Nothing he has done as in how he plays is filling me with any hope. 

lol calling for the first manager in 22 years to get us to a major tournament to get sacked, tough crowd. it will take some serious disasters before the sfa would consider sacking clarke. world cup qualification is extremely tough for sides of our standard even if we had a pep or klopp as manager. barring a disastrous performance in this group clarke will be with us until the next euro qualification campaign if he wants.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

We are out? Bollocks. 1st, I would say yes, 2nd? Absolutely. Austria only beat The Faros 3-1. We are in with a shout. A bit of luck, and Clarke sticks with players in their best position, we can defo get 2nd. Its no as if we are shite. We have shown signs of good atacking football. Maybe now that we are chasing, could be a good thing. I have faith in this squad. The talent is there. We are no gonnae become "Brazil" overnight. Have some patience folks. I know its frustrating,  bit who ever said it wouldn't following Scotland. Onwards and Upwards. Get fuckin intae them. Scotland Forever...🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Well said. The number of fainthearts on here is depressing. We don't have Russia or Belgium in our section and I don't see why we can't go to Denmark and win - maybe with a goal from a set piece or something but we have shown we can defend. Pressure will all be on Denmark; is it really more difficult than going to Serbia and having to win?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, kumnio said:

In the last ten games, we have conceded 8 goals, so we aren’t absolute brilliant defensively, but have only scored 9 goals. 

We have played Israel 4 times, Czechs and Slovaks twice, Serbia and Austria once. So no brilliant sides that we should have feared, but equally no real minnows.

We have won 3, drawn 5 and lost 2, Steve Clarke’s formation is a 352..

Except last night when it was more 5-3-2 and therein lay the problem. We showed far too much respect to Israel as was proved when we finally had a go. We actually WON the second half!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mccaughey85 I don't think it's a tough call. He ever needs to get his tactics sorted out or he needs to go. We are all absolutely over the moon about making it to the euros but don't for one second think we got there by winning our group or beating any good teams. He even made a hash of winning the group to get us to at least a playoff place. where if things went wrong we then could of used a few qualification games to test our younger players. Also allowing the players to get drunk before those 2 games was totally the wrong thing to do. This squad + a few additions could take us to a lot of finals with the right tactics and coaching staff. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Well said. The number of fainthearts on here is depressing. We don't have Russia or Belgium in our section and I don't see why we can't go to Denmark and win - maybe with a goal from a set piece or something but we have shown we can defend. Pressure will all be on Denmark; is it really more difficult than going to Serbia and having to win?

Nothing at all jumped out at you from watching last night to suggest we would struggle and struggle badly away (or at home) to Denmark? There is optimism and there is complete delusion......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Return of Yermaw said:

Nothing at all jumped out at you from watching last night to suggest we would struggle and struggle badly away (or at home) to Denmark? There is optimism and there is complete delusion......

Have a look back to our 3-2 performance against Israel when Armstrong and Forrest played; our tactics were spot on that night and last night it was more a question of bad tactics as opposed to bad team selection. We can rectify that.

I will agree though that if we draw against the Faroes then it really is all up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another reason not to be pessimistic: when we beat the Czechs 1-0 at Hampden our team had Taylor at left wing back and no Robertson or Tierney, our two most high profile players.  The Czech side was very close to the one that has just drawn with Belgium. Fine margins there in international football.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

Nothing at all jumped out at you from watching last night to suggest we would struggle and struggle badly away (or at home) to Denmark? There is optimism and there is complete delusion......

I think the problem is that we we’ve been absolutely shite and are capable of much better. Of course we could win in Denmark if someone had the nous to set out our players correctly and tell them what to do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Well said. The number of fainthearts on here is depressing. We don't have Russia or Belgium in our section and I don't see why we can't go to Denmark and win - maybe with a goal from a set piece or something but we have shown we can defend. Pressure will all be on Denmark; is it really more difficult than going to Serbia and having to win?

Denmark will absolutely crucify us. It’ll be going on half a dozen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think the problem is that we we’ve been absolutely shite and are capable of much better. Of course we could win in Denmark if someone had the nous to set out our players correctly and tell them what to do. 

sadly most top managers are out of our reach/budget

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big need for perspective among some of our fans.

Remembering that we only managed to get to the Euros by the back door surely we need to see that by and large we remain an ordinary outfit----an outfit that is on a par with the likes of Slovenia, Slovakia, Ireland and Israel. Therefore it ain't a surprise that we are sitting with 2 points from 2 games. 

This is our level just now !!

For my part a draw at home against a second seed Austria and a draw away against a difficult Israel are acceptable results and are actually outcomes which I don't believe we would have achieved under Mc Leish.

We also remain in the hunt for 2nd as I'm sure the table will show on Wednesday night.

Overall I feel we are slowly getting better and with ongoing progress we could finish 2 Nd in the group and with home advantage surprise a few in the Euros.

Just asking for perspective which stops us from running ahead of ourselves.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Shut up that is pure fiction. If you cant be constructive why comment?

Ah, so when we are horseshite we are still only allowed to say nice things? Waken up FFS. If you can’t see how poor we are just now and somehow think that Denmark battering us is ‘fiction’ then you need to lay down that crack pipe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, marinello said:

Big need for perspective among some of our fans.

Remembering that we only managed to get to the Euros by the back door surely we need to see that by and large we remain an ordinary outfit----an outfit that is on a par with the likes of Slovenia, Slovakia, Ireland and Israel. Therefore it ain't a surprise that we are sitting with 2 points from 2 games. 

This is our level just now !!

For my part a draw at home against a second seed Austria and a draw away against a difficult Israel are acceptable results and are actually outcomes which I don't believe we would have achieved under Mc Leish.

We also remain in the hunt for 2nd as I'm sure the table will show on Wednesday night.

Overall I feel we are slowly getting better and with ongoing progress we could finish 2 Nd in the group and with home advantage surprise a few in the Euros.

Just asking for perspective which stops us from running ahead of ourselves.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'd agree with most of that but would put us above Ireland and Israel. Why Israel? Well I'd be quite confident that we'll finish above them in the group - we just struggle against them but does not make them on a par with us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Ah, so when we are horseshite we are still only allowed to say nice things? Waken up FFS. If you can’t see how poor we are just now and somehow think that Denmark battering us is ‘fiction’ then you need to lay down that crack pipe. 

We are loads better than we were 2 years ago when best team in world only beat us 4 so for you to say 1 we are worse now and denmark will score 6 is imo the views of someone on the crack pipe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just watched Clarke's post match interview, and it's made me pretty angry with the whole thing.  The second half we made changes and it made a difference, but we didn't have the right tools on the bench to keep up the intensity to get the second goal and that I blame Clarke for his squad selection. So that's half a step forward half a step back, we needed Turnbull or Gauld there at the expense of Fleck to be a different option.  Clarke came armed with the Luxembourg, Malta and Georgia results at his mental fingertips to defend the draw, he even said that the Faroes are no mugs - someone should have asked would he be happy with a draw now on Wednesday? I wanted Clarke, was happy with him but after I have seen more of him, he is very dour, is he like this with the squad?  We/He needs to be braver with his squad selection for the summer, and for all of his talk about knowing the future to know if these two games have been costly, we need to take the game to the Danes in September or we are falling behind and its going to be pretty evident how costly these dropped points are pretty quickly all adding more and more pressure to get wins.  The thing that is making me most upset with this, is we have Austria and Denmark, I will be honest and say when the group was made I didnt envision Moldova being bottom of the group and I am concluding its for good reason, but there's a real big possibility IF we make the play offs - we are likely going to be faced with atleast one team of better standing than either of those (Austria or Denmark) and we likely wont have a month between play off matches, so this group is THE best opportunity to make the World Cup as I don't see the play off route as plausible for us to make it, and playing in the big tournaments for me is the purpose of international football, a plucky qualification campaign isn't for me what I get excited for.  I didn't think I would be thinking about this so much, but we need a Manager who has experience at international football, maybe with a similar nation and achieved qualification - I know the grassroots is a big issue for us, but I can also see why 20 years ago we went for Berti, on paper he is the exact type of Manager I am describing now - Although I think he was eccentric and had poor English so lets not go there again but someone like Klinsman would be better and get someone like Darren Fletcher/Gary Mac as his assistant.  Perhaps now I think about it Jurgen is eccentric also :)

Edited by romanticscot
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

We are loads better than we were 2 years ago when best team in world only beat us 4 so for you to say 1 we are worse now and denmark will score 6 is imo the views of someone on the crack pipe.

Utter bollocks. We are no better than 2 years ago. You seem to be of the belief that Denmark(one of the best sides in World fitba’ right now) are somehow on a par with us. For you to say that there’s not a chance of them doing us big time is just stupidity and unbelievable naeivity. You are a football association’s dream fan. One who continues to accept bollocks performances. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WCTA said:

Utter bollocks. We are no better than 2 years ago. You seem to be of the belief that Denmark(one of the best sides in World fitba’ right now) are somehow on a par with us. For you to say that there’s not a chance of them doing us big time is just stupidity and unbelievable naeivity. You are a football association’s dream fan. One who continues to accept bollocks performances. 

Getting into a debate here which is gd if can be backed up. for my part didn't and dont want clarke.not happy with performances as I believe we have good players. And also feel gilmour gauld and turnbull should be in team. I dont accept in your words utter bollocks but your words dont add up.

Let's see Clarkes early games in charge we got pumped by Belgium 4-0 and 3-0 Russia 4-0 and 2-1. Before that pumped in Kazakhstan 4-0 and struggled against san Marino.The team Belgium had at that time was nearly I'd say best in world and we were very poor. Now since then we have played 13 games and only lost twice both 1-0 away to israel and Slovakia. We have beaten Czech twice.slovakia and cyprus Kazakhstan.san Marino. And drawn with serbia austria and israel 3 times. So I'd say your belief that we are not better than 2 years ago and denmark will hammer us 6 is to quote yourself "bollocks"

Its football were talking about or trying to and your spouting shite like you are in pub after 10 pints.

Away and do some research. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Getting into a debate here which is gd if can be backed up. for my part didn't and dont want clarke.not happy with performances as I believe we have good players. And also feel gilmour gauld and turnbull should be in team. I dont accept in your words utter bollocks but your words dont add up.

Let's see Clarkes early games in charge we got pumped by Belgium 4-0 and 3-0 Russia 4-0 and 2-1. Before that pumped in Kazakhstan 4-0 and struggled against san Marino.The team Belgium had at that time was nearly I'd say best in world and we were very poor. Now since then we have played 13 games and only lost twice both 1-0 away to israel and Slovakia. We have beaten Czech twice.slovakia and cyprus Kazakhstan.san Marino. And drawn with serbia austria and israel 3 times. So I'd say your belief that we are not better than 2 years ago and denmark will hammer us 6 is to quote yourself "bollocks"

Its football were talking about or trying to and your spouting shite like you are in pub after 10 pints.

Away and do some research. 

Again, you claimed that the chance of Denmark crucifying us is “pure fiction”. Those were your words. I admire your optimism. Optimism which more often than not is just stupidity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


for those saying we can qualify through the play offs... hmmmn no.... think that will be harder than winn8ng this group.  For the first time in years we actually have a winnable section.  If we end up in the playoffs there re two matches to get 5rough and if one of the big guns like Italy end up in there uefa will make sure they qualify by whatever means necessary,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Fuck me man. That's the spirit..🙄🙄.  How is Austria gonnae run away with it? We should have beaten them on Thursday, they dint fuckin scare me. Have some fuckin faith. 2 matches and its curtains????? I dunno man, hope the players don't read some of the shite I have read today.. just my opinion... COME ON THE BONNIE SCOTLAND !!!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

In reflection, and looking at things in the big picture, we are progressing. 

In two matches, we didn't play well, against Israel even more so, but we still scored three and got two points.

At least 2 of the 3 goals we conceded were avoidable. In neither match did we give away any clear cut chances. 

A few tweaks here and there (Getting the two midfielders to PRESS!!) and we could very well punch above our weight.

Steve Clarke missed a trick by not including Gilmour and Gauld, and maybe even Turnbull.

Will we qualify, though? We beating Denmark twice and Austria once, and then taking points off the other teams would probably be the only wa. Remember, only the winner goes through. 2nd team gets a playoff. The 3rd team gets nothing.

Edited by Taylor1996
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...