Why the gloom? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Why the gloom?

Big Ramy 1314

It's time to get Gimour, Gauld and Turnbull in the squad, out goes McBurnie, Fleck and whoever else you like maybe even Armstrong screw being faithful there were no vows exchanged. We need some arrogance on the squad. We were tired in midfield and need more width. Fraser and Gauld(?l on the right? We changed formation but I don't think we had the players/legs to keep up the intensity for the second half. 

I'm gutted after these 2 results.

Never again will we have a better chance to win a World Cup qualifying group and achieve automatic qualification for a tournament we haven't qualified for in 24 years! By no means am I saying we should have a divine right to beat the likes of Austria and Denmark, but it's a great opportunity without any of Europe's big boys in our group. 

Instead of getting off to a flyer we've already blown it. Winning the group is now pie in the sky stuff, and getting 2nd looks unlikely. On current form I wouldn't be confident of picking up any wins on the road. 

I'm usually an eternal optimist when it comes to Scotland but if I'm honest we're not a great side. Most teams we play against are technically better than us and look far more comfortable on the ball. People keep mentioning progress but I'm not seeing it. We're now 5 games without a win. If you dig deeper you'll see in the last 32 matches we've won 12, most of these wins being against dross aside from a couple of stuffy 1-0 wins against Slovakia and the Czech Republic. The play off penalty shoot out wins have papered over the cracks. I'm still not convinced we're that much better now than we were under Mcleish. 

One thing that's really annoyed me is not taking those last 2 matches in the nation's league seriously enough, we could have pretty much already secured a WC play off spot. That's almost unforgivable for me. 

As for the Euros, I think we'll be lucky to get any points but we can always hope. 

But apart from all that, I'm f*cking peachy 😂

5 hours ago, dezmondo said:

I'm gutted after these 2 results.

Never again will we have a better chance to win a World Cup qualifying group and achieve automatic qualification for a tournament we haven't qualified for in 24 years! By no means am I saying we should have a divine right to beat the likes of Austria and Denmark, but it's a great opportunity without any of Europe's big boys in our group. 

Instead of getting off to a flyer we've already blown it. Winning the group is now pie in the sky stuff, and getting 2nd looks unlikely. On current form I wouldn't be confident of picking up any wins on the road. 

I'm usually an eternal optimist when it comes to Scotland but if I'm honest we're not a great side. Most teams we play against are technically better than us and look far more comfortable on the ball. People keep mentioning progress but I'm not seeing it. We're now 5 games without a win. If you dig deeper you'll see in the last 32 matches we've won 12, most of these wins being against dross aside from a couple of stuffy 1-0 wins against Slovakia and the Czech Republic. The play off penalty shoot out wins have papered over the cracks. I'm still not convinced we're that much better now than we were under Mcleish. 

One thing that's really annoyed me is not taking those last 2 matches in the nation's league seriously enough, we could have pretty much already secured a WC play off spot. That's almost unforgivable for me. 

As for the Euros, I think we'll be lucky to get any points but we can always hope. 

But apart from all that, I'm f*cking peachy 😂

The team hasn’t made progress but we’ve clearly got our best crop of players for some time (based on club performances). That is why this is so frustrating. We should have been right at that team, they’d have crumbled in 15 minutes. 

last night was disappointing, theres no chance we win this group now and i think it will be tough to even finish 2nd but it is still within our grasp. sadly i doubt we are not going to the world cup even if we did finish 2nd.no way we win play off games against anyone hald decent.

8 hours ago, GaryWood34 said:

The fact we are will be 2nd on Wednesday 

we came from behind twice to secure points 

3/4 last games we are extreme favourites for.

we are in a major tournament.

more reason to be optimistic than ever before in the the last 20 Years.

theres reason to be optmistic but i think ppl are very disappointed because we got gifted the easiest group we will probably ever get and we have fukked up the chance of winning it after only 2 games. i do think that if we get the win on wednesday we will be a bit more optimistic but its still going to be very tough to get second. we must now beat austria away which will be a big ask but not impossible.

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It’s not even the result, which was bad enough but the performance was rotten, I was pretty hopeful after the Austria game but this is a kick up the arse. 

I had my concerns before hand.

Israel are the sort of team with all the ingredients to cause us problems and that is how I saw it panning out. They are comfortable on the ball if given time and we gave them far too much. If you stand off their attackers as we have a habit of doing they are not afraid of shooting from distance and tat is how they scored last night. The up and at them approach was totally non-existent in the first half and we looked awful. The second half we were much better as that up and at them approach was there and we forced mistakes from them. However, we aren't going to be pressing for even second if we are putting in such inconsistent displays. Two matches gone and two inconsistent displays. Clarke has to sort this ASAP.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I had my concerns before hand.

Israel are the sort of team with all the ingredients to cause us problems and that is how I saw it panning out. They are comfortable on the ball if given time and we gave them far too much. If you stand off their attackers as we have a habit of doing they are not afraid of shooting from distance and tat is how they scored last night. The up and at them approach was totally non-existent in the first half and we looked awful. The second half we were much better as that up and at them approach was there and we forced mistakes from them. However, we aren't going to be pressing for even second if we are putting in such inconsistent displays. Two matches gone and two inconsistent displays. Clarke has to sort this ASAP.

Yeah I think the Serbia game and excitement about qualifying has made it easier to ignore some glaring tactical flaws and pish poor performances. 

We could have been 3 down at half time last night and not been hard done by, it was like the McLeish Kazakhstan game with poorer finishing. 

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Yeah I think the Serbia game and excitement about qualifying has made it easier to ignore some glaring tactical flaws and pish poor performances. 

We could have been 3 down at half time last night and not been hard done by, it was like the McLeish Kazakhstan game with poorer finishing. 

I don't think we are that far away but Israel are a terrible match-up for us. They sit deep and are well organised. If given time on the ball they are very comfortable and like to play on the counter. That is not the type of team that suits our style. We are not blessed with the knack of unlocking defences too easily and that becomes even harder against a team that sits in like they do in defence.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I don't think we are that far away but Israel are a terrible match-up for us. They sit deep and are well organised. If given time on the ball they are very comfortable and like to play on the counter. That is not the type of team that suits our style. We are not blessed with the knack of unlocking defences too easily and that becomes even harder against a team that sits in like they do in defence.

I don’t know, first half especially the only team sitting in was us, they moved the ball well and created a few chances. I couldn’t see us scoring and they dropped off second half showing their own weaknesses but I don’t see Israel doing anything special that we shouldn’t be able to deal with. 

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I don’t know, first half especially the only team sitting in was us, they moved the ball well and created a few chances. I couldn’t see us scoring and they dropped off second half showing their own weaknesses but I don’t see Israel doing anything special that we shouldn’t be able to deal with. 

Oh don't get me wrong we were dire in the first half and made them look good. We weren't pressing at all and our midfield was non-existent but as soon as we sorted out those issues at half-time and shook it up we were a lot better. Such a shame we hadn't started the match in the same vein.

we have a better core team of players than the performances and results are suggesting. Too many players play poorly when playing for Scotland - McGinn was awful last night for example. The manager's tactics are too defensive and cautious - fine if trying to scrape through to penalties in two knock out games; really out of place and not geared up to a group qualifying campaign. 

Those shouting for optimism and saying we can still finish second are either not watching the games or are deluded. We are not a good team and we are not getting any better. However we should be playing a lot better than what we are delivering and the fault for that lies solely with the manager. There is a reason we have a pattern of successive normally good club players hitting poor form whenever they cross that white line in international football (or whatever cliche is applied there by the BBC pundit managerial cheerleaders) - they are simply following Clarke's game plan and performances derive from that. 

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Oh don't get me wrong we were dire in the first half and made them look good. We weren't pressing at all and our midfield was non-existent but as soon as we sorted out those issues at half-time and shook it up we were a lot better. Such a shame we hadn't started the match in the same vein.

It’s also the 6th game against them in 3 years and we’ve won 1 in 90mins. That’s telling. 

1 minute ago, Return of Yermaw said:

we have a better core team of players than the performances and results are suggesting. Too many players play poorly when playing for Scotland - McGinn was awful last night for example. The manager's tactics are too defensive and cautious - fine if trying to scrape through to penalties in two knock out games; really out of place and not geared up to a group qualifying campaign. 

Those shouting for optimism and saying we can still finish second are either not watching the games or are deluded. We are not a good team and we are not getting any better. However we should be playing a lot better than what we are delivering and the fault for that lies solely with the manager. There is a reason we have a pattern of successive normally good club players hitting poor form whenever they cross that white line in international football (or whatever cliche is applied there by the BBC pundit managerial cheerleaders) - they are simply following Clarke's game plan and performances derive from that. 

A sobering read but 100% accurate.

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It’s also the 6th game against them in 3 years and we’ve won 1 in 90mins. That’s telling. 

Yes for the reasons I have stated. Their style of play does not match up well to us. In a way it is like putting a glass jawed boxer with better boxing talent against a hard hitting boxer with less talent - not a good match-up. It is probably a lot to do with how Clarke sets us up in these games and it hinders us. In other games his managerial tactics can help us get results but in this particular match-up it does not.

55 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes for the reasons I have stated. Their style of play does not match up well to us. In a way it is like putting a glass jawed boxer with better boxing talent against a hard hitting boxer with less talent - not a good match-up. It is probably a lot to do with how Clarke sets us up in these games and it hinders us. In other games his managerial tactics can help us get results but in this particular match-up it does not.

Correct he got his tactics wrong first half simple as that. I had a feeling we should switch back to 4231 and press them for this game, they don't like being pressed and they hate pace. We were also piss poor last time we played them using 3 at the back. At the very least with 3 at the back we should have went man for man in midfield instead we used that pishy box in midfield and our wingbacks got pushed right back so we ended up with 5 against McGregor and McTominay. We need Gilmour in this team as well btw we have no one in Midfield who demands the ball

7 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Correct he got his tactics wrong first half simple as that. I had a feeling we should switch back to 4231 and press them for this game, they don't like being pressed and they hate pace. We were also piss poor last time we played them using 3 at the back. At the very least with 3 at the back we should have went man for man in midfield instead we used that pishy box in midfield and our wingbacks got pushed right back so we ended up with 5 against McGregor and McTominay. We need Gilmour in this team as well btw we have no one in Midfield who demands the ball

Yes I'd agree with much of that.

Caledonian Craig you say it's not a good match up for us, that maybe true but why do we have a manager? He should be looking at this and setting the team in a way we can nullify there tactics. He has had plenty of chances to but seems to stick with playing deep dropping off and letting the opposition have time on the ball and loads of space. When we did push forward and close them down they made mistakes but only doing this a couple of times in 45 mins then rushing back and letting them play just doesn't work. I still think Clarke is trying to see what he can do for the euros as he may not be in the job after it. I'm definitely in agreement with a lot of people when they say we have the players to do a lot better. Our last 6 games have been dire and not picking the right players for the squad is telling me it's time to get Clarke out he is just getting so much wrong. Nothing he has done as in how he plays is filling me with any hope. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Game out of the blocks second half, used pass width and harried when they were on the ball. Net result a goal.

Then we went back to the stand off give them time pish and we struggled again.

Scandalous. 

We had the players there to win last night. And like others, I can’t see us qualifying now.

J

Just now, stitch said:

Caledonian Craig you say it's not a good match up for us, that maybe true but why do we have a manager? He should be looking at this and setting the team in a way we can nullify there tactics. He has had plenty of chances to but seems to stick with playing deep dropping off and letting the opposition have time on the ball and loads of space. When we did push forward and close them down they made mistakes but only doing this a couple of times in 45 mins then rushing back and letting them play just doesn't work. I still think Clarke is trying to see what he can do for the euros as he may not be in the job after it. I'm definitely in agreement with a lot of people when they say we have the players to do a lot better. Our last 6 games have been dire and not picking the right players for the squad is telling me it's time to get Clarke out he is just getting so much wrong. Nothing he has done as in how he plays is filling me with any hope. 

Its swings and roundabouts though. Clarke's management tactics don't work well against Israel is my point. It works far better against teams who are more attacking. Under Clarke we have become more difficult to beat but also by tightening ourselves up at the back we have become less expansive in attack is what I'd say. We are set up well for narrow wins but that falls apart quickly if we fall behind like we did V Austria and Israel.

I simply couldn't believe what i was watching in that first half and was so angry at the lack of pressure put on Israel.

The goal we conceded was simply embarrasing in terms of the whole move starting from the goalkeeper under no pressure then the defenders playing out from the back with ease. Then out to the left to the open player then 2 passes later they have a player in acres of space for a free shot. A total of zero attempted tackles by Scotland to stop the goal. Mctominay turns his back and marshall should save it. Just not good enough. 

But to be fair Israel could easily have been 3 nil up by half time as we played so deep inviting them on. Really was garbage.

Slightly better 2nd half as i would say that half was about even or us marginly even shading it. 

Feeling gloomy right enough, but it's not over.   We are hoping Denmark do the business and Israel do us a favour vs Austria.

Anyway agree with bazmidd there on 1st half tactics.   I'm nearly hoarse with shouting at the telly.

2nd half changes were a relief, but the manager didn't get away with waiting to half time to sort it out.   Was it too complicated to do that at 35mins?   Could see there goal coming.