Why the gloom? - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Why the gloom?

Big Ramy 1314

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

win percentages are all very good but its getting to tournaments that matter and clarke has just achieved that and we now have scotland fans having tantrums because we only managed draws with 2 teams around our standard.

Nobody is having a tantrum and we’ve repeatedly said it’s not about those 2 results. 

1 minute ago, kumnio said:

Yeah, that’s not how it read.

No, potentially and undecided. 

lol the questions were there in plain english.

so reality is you have very little to grumble about as we have still 2nd to play for. being undecided on clarke is effectively saying no as you probably know as well as i do that the alternative options arent any better.

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Nobody is having a tantrum and we’ve repeatedly said it’s not about those 2 results. 

it certainly sounds that way, i have literally seen dozens of worse scotland performances over the years and while its not great that we drew those two games its hardly the end of the world.

lol the questions were there in plain english.

so reality is you have very little to grumble about as we have still 2nd to play for. being undecided on clarke is effectively saying no as you probably know as well as i do that the alternative options arent any better.

Oh god, this is beyond pointless now. 

Your English is terrible, I’m sorry to break that to you. 

Second paragraph is you assuming stuff to back up your argument, so it’s futile continuing this. 

it certainly sounds that way, i have literally seen dozens of worse scotland performances over the years and while its not great that we drew those two games its hardly the end of the world.

Haha of course it’s not but it’s probably the end of the qualifying campaign but I’ll be the first to admit I’m wrong if we’re in contention with Austria come the last game. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

only squad i can see is icelands at the last world cup. apart from that theres pretty much none.

During qualification they were a good bit better than us and were coming off a Euros they did OK in. Drew with Argentina at the finals and were a pot 3 team in the draw.

Serbia were pot 4 so maybe we were better than them, they did beat Costa Rica though which is something we never do.

5 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Haha of course it’s not but it’s probably the end of the qualifying campaign but I’ll be the first to admit I’m wrong if we’re in contention with Austria come the last game. 

There is every chance Denmark won't run away with this group so it might be them we are in contention with not Austria.

30 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

It’s rare our qualifying campaign is over after the second match but given who we’ve played and where, it virtually is. 

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

It’s rare our qualifying campaign is over after the second match but given who we’ve played and where, it virtually is. 

its over in terms of coming first but how often do we go into a world cup qualifying campaign aiming for first place. this is the first time ever i can remember. we are still very much competing for 2nd now which is usually our goal anyways.

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

During qualification they were a good bit better than us and were coming off a Euros they did OK in. Drew with Argentina at the finals and were a pot 3 team in the draw.

Serbia were pot 4 so maybe we were better than them, they did beat Costa Rica though which is something we never do.

yeh i am just talking about quality of squad. iceland have had poor squads but have managed to make the world cup which is quite amazing. every country from europe in the last 3 world cups had stronger squads on paper than us apart from iceland.

If its anything to go by, qualifying looks extremely open in many groups.

Imagine we were Slovenia - beat Croatia at home follow that up with a 1-0 loss in Cyprus.

Or Turkey - hammer Holland 4-2 ; and again hump Norway 3-0 only to be held at home to Latvia.

6 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

If its anything to go by, qualifying looks extremely open in many groups.

Imagine we were Slovenia - beat Croatia at home follow that up with a 1-0 loss in Cyprus.

Or Turkey - hammer Holland 4-2 ; and again hump Norway 3-0 only to be held at home to Latvia.

Exactly. Just don't get this 'it's over' when there are still so many games to play. Denmark do have a huge goal difference already but we have still to play them.

BTW just watched Wales beat Czechia. I saw nothing to be afraid of.

4 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Imagine having to beat Denmark at home in the last game in front of a packed Hampden. You'd take that, surely?

6 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

In that case Clarke’s win % is worse than McLeish’s second spell, Levein and Strachan 

CD715D10-B11D-439D-A79F-6532B7977962.png

Those numbers only factor in matches that begin and end in a 90 minute cycle. They don't factor in penalty shootouts wins.

So, by that amendment, Clarke has a 50% win percentage

17 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Those numbers only factor in matches that begin and end in a 90 minute cycle. They don't factor in penalty shootouts wins.

So, by that amendment, Clarke has a 50% win percentage

You can qualify, progress or get knocked out on penalty shoot outs but the game will always be a draw.

1 minute ago, shunkyboy and the fluffer said:

You can qualify, progress or get knocked out on penalty shoot outs but the game will always be a draw.

Maybe you can contact the SFA and tell them that. 

Apparently, he's been in charge for 19 matches, so it's a 47% win ratio.

Screenshot_20210331-001238_Samsung Internet.jpg

11 hours ago, ProudScot said:

After a couple more poor results we of course will have the usual suspects Craig Brown etc telling us how we are lucky to have Steve Clarke and we “just don’t have the players” etc, despite having our best squad since the 90s 

It might be our best squad since the 90s but I'm still not convinced it's good enough to qualify for a World Cup.  

None of our current batch of defenders (with the exception of Robertson and Tierney) or strikers would have made the France '98 squad - and that squad was regarded at the time as one of the weakest in the tournament and one of the weakest Scotland sides to have qualified for anything. 

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

well the truth is we are not a team that goes to world cups. we dont have the squad strength to go to the world cup. we only make the euros because its a 24 team tournament. we are still in contention for second in this group which is probably a more realistic target.

In isolation a draw away to Israel is okay. If we'd won at home against Austria I don't think anyone would be too bothered by that result. 

To my mind, if you're a team that's serious about qualifying you have to win your home games.  In that respect the Austria result was the worse of the two.  But to be honest, when you look at the two teams on paper a draw isn't really that surprising a result.

That night, Austria fielded a side consisting mainly of German Bundesliga players. Half our team were EPL regulars (which is good) but the other half was a hotchpotch of English second tier players, a guy playing for a little-known club in Belgian, a guy playing for a bottom half SPFL club and an out-of-form Celtic player.

Don't get me wrong, that team still represents a significant improvement in quality compared to some Scotland sides I've seen, but I doubt most neutrals would have looked at it and expected it to beat the Austrians.

Edited by scotlad

My combined 96, 98 and 2020 first XI:

Goram 

C.Hendry    Weir   Tierney

Burley                                   Robertson                  
                          Lambert

Collins                        McAllister

McCoist  -  Durie

Players that played in tournaments (some players played in 96 and 98)

1996: 7 Players

1998: 6 Players

2020: 2 Players

Edited by Taylor1996

14 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

There is every chance Denmark won't run away with this group so it might be them we are in contention with not Austria.

TBF, if we accept first is blown, and we have a fight on our hands for second. We NEED Denmark to smash everyone (bar us) where we need to win at Hampden and possibly sneak a draw in Copenhagen.

The two away games in September will be massive!

J

A draw for Austria and Denmark tonight with a win for us puts us in second.

Austria will have drawn at home with a team ranked above them and drawn away with a team ranked below and beat Faroes. 

Same as us. 

So a draw Tonight and a wee 2-0 /3-0  win for us... 

Far from over....