Gilmour, Turnbull, Gauld - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Gilmour, Turnbull, Gauld

kumnio

Guest Scot1
2 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Squad selection in general was poor. Any of these three players would offer more than McLean, Christie and McGregor right now. 

We needed positivity, instead we got an old pals act. 

Pretty sure I made a few posts about this weeks ago. I don’t rate Clarke, never have, I doubt I ever will

12 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Pretty sure I made a few posts about this weeks ago. I don’t rate Clarke, never have, I doubt I ever will

I'm certainly not writing off Clarke just yet. Tonight sucked, but we are still far better than we were when he took over.

Saying that, I have occasionally wondered if our qualifying was partly due to the simple fact that we now have a better squad. I don't want to take credit away from him, but he is very fortunate to have a far bigger pool of players to choose from than any predecessor of the past 2 decades..... and still didn't pick Turnbull, Gauld, Gilmour, Griffiths, Morgan or Kelly (to name a few). I really did question his judgement when I saw he only took 26 players.

Don't care if Gilmour isn't playing club football. He can do the basics better than anyone in our squad. Not to bring England into this, but Gilmour is better than Rice and Wilson.

As for Gauld, he's one of the best performers in the Portugese top league.

Why these two, particularly, aren't the squad is strange.

1 minute ago, Taylor1996 said:

Don't care if Gilmour isn't playing club football. He can do the basics better than anyone in our squad. Not to bring England into this, but Gilmour is better than Rice and Wilson.

As for Gauld, he's one of the best performers in the Portugese top league.

Why these two, particularly, aren't the squad is strange.

Not sure he can do the basics as well as Tierney.

21 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I hate signalling players out but McGregor is a waste of a jersey and Mctominay was pish tonight. There must be space for new midfielders in the squad. 

Thought McTominay was the only reliable one in midfield tonight and had an assured performance. Agree with McGregor however. Makes himself look busy without contributing anything of value.

This was a perfect opportunity to add one or two of the above, especially with the near absence of friendlies after the introduction of the Nations League.

Don't see what McLean brings and McGregor and Christie's form has been poor for months in a dismal Celtic season. Would have been worth adding them if only for the Faroes tie.

Can't say I watch much Portuguese football but rumour is both Benfica and Sporting are interested in Gauld. Presuming he moves at the end of this season he'd surely be around the squad if he makes that kind of move.

8 hours ago, gonzohiggy said:

Gilmour yes absolutely for me. In place of McLean.

The other two, not so convinced. Both have players ahead of them who are demonstrably playing at a higher level and over a longer period. 

McLean is reliable for us and did well last night. Fleck rarely gets called upon to do anything and would seem more likely to drop out. 

10 hours ago, kumnio said:

Squad selection in general was poor. Any of these three players would offer more than McLean, Christie and McGregor right now. 

We needed positivity, instead we got an old pals act. 

think your being harsh on christie, guys done pretty well for us in general over the past couple of years. i agree that some dead wood could be removed, guys like mcburnie, mclean and mcgregor offer very little and gilmour and turnbull would be better.

10 hours ago, slasher said:

Having all three in the squad would at least send out the signal places are up for grabs. Based on club form Ryan Christie shouldn't even be in the squad 🙅‍♂️

Turnbull for Christie is the really obvious change to make because it is so easy to compare them.  Anyone that has watched Celtic since Christmas would be selecting Turnbull if they had to pick one.

9 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Turnbull for Christie is the really obvious change to make because it is so easy to compare them.  Anyone that has watched Celtic since Christmas would be selecting Turnbull if they had to pick one.

Christie at least has a great work ethic. That is what we are sorely lacking, players who will press the ball and show willing to play until they drop.  I would play him a bit deeper if his creative spark has temporarily left him. He offers more than McGregor defensively and offensively. We can then still play Fraser or whoever  further forward. 

Christie was also one of our best players versus Austria for the reasons above. Just put him a bit deeper. 

38 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Christie at least has a great work ethic. That is what we are sorely lacking, players who will press the ball and show willing to play until they drop.  I would play him a bit deeper if his creative spark has temporarily left him. He offers more than McGregor defensively and offensively. We can then still play Fraser or whoever  further forward. 

Christie was also one of our best players versus Austria for the reasons above. Just put him a bit deeper. 

Absolutely. Christie, although predominantly an attacking player, makes some amount of tackles and closes people down. He doesn't get enough credit for that. McGregor, on the other hand, only tackles if it's convenient for him and it's usually a scrappy, face to face, stand up tackle. I could easily see Christie doing the role that McGregor does, but better. 

Midfield is our best area of the pitch, but we essentially only play 3. There is more than enough room to have Gauld, Turnbull and Gilmour in the squad, and at least one of them could be in the starting 11 if we ditch the back 5 against non-elite teams and drop McGregor. 

I dont get the slagging of christie eirther. Yes he is out of form but this is partly due to being in a poor lost confidence celtic team and also being played out of position. he has been playing wide right to cut in on his left foot but when that doesnt work he is not fast enough or have a good enough right foot to go other way which showed last night in a few chances he had wide right. His energy determination and in general skill shows he will and should always be near the team. Fleck,taylor,mcburnie, are 3 players who should certainly drop out for 3 mentioned. Palmer for Patterson or Rooney also. Some of the players in squad will never be good enough as their is better in front of them .

11 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

I dont get the slagging of christie eirther. Yes he is out of form but this is partly due to being in a poor lost confidence celtic team and also being played out of position. he has been playing wide right to cut in on his left foot but when that doesnt work he is not fast enough or have a good enough right foot to go other way which showed last night in a few chances he had wide right. His energy determination and in general skill shows he will and should always be near the team. Fleck,taylor,mcburnie, are 3 players who should certainly drop out for 3 mentioned. Palmer for Patterson or Rooney also. Some of the players in squad will never be good enough as their is better in front of them .

yeh i dont understand the christie criticism either, hes the least of our problems right now. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

think your being harsh on christie, guys done pretty well for us in general over the past couple of years. i agree that some dead wood could be removed, guys like mcburnie, mclean and mcgregor offer very little and gilmour and turnbull would be better.

I’m a big fan of Christie, think he is a really good player. But he has been shite for Celtic for a few months, and shouldn’t be playing for Scotland when not in form. 

Edited by kumnio

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yes I'd agree with that. You just need to look at the difference Christie made last night to see he has his worth to the side and he can chip in with goals. He's very busy too unlike some of our players.

Agree all three should be included in the Euro 23. Thing about last night I noticed was that none of the guys on the bench were what you could call game-changers. Especially in midfield where we only had Armstrong to offer. Don't know what McLean brings but I'm sure Gilmour could take his position quite easily just because of his reading of the game and ability to keep the ball. If he could prove fitness maybe even Forrest could offer something on the right - as well as a goal threat.

McBurnie has not appeared so maybe he will be quietly phased out.