Jump to content

We are pretty much out.... ditch the back 3


Recommended Posts

Whenever you watch modern day football, I’d say 80% of teams press the opposition, why do we do the opposite and just let them have the ball?

Why are we scared of playing, especially against a much weaker teams, it’s utterly pathetic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Taylor1996 the main problem is ball-watching and lack of high press. We should not be letting countries like Israel dictate the tempo. Israeli players were not being picked up and man-marked, and there was no high press. Without being Xavi or Iniesta they were picking holes in Scotland at will. Steve Clark needs to watch this video...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HighlandScot said:

I agree with Taylor1996 the main problem is ball-watching and lack of high press. We should not be letting countries like Israel dictate the tempo. Israeli players were not being picked up and man-marked, and there was no high press. Without being Xavi or Iniesta they were picking holes in Scotland at will. Steve Clark needs to watch this video...

 

Absolutely.

We stood off them time, after time, after time. We did the exact same thing against Austria and we conceded from it.

Chelsea play the system that we played last night (3-4-2-1) but their double-pivot presses the opposition and snapped at their heels! Ours? They step off and treat Israel players like they're superstars.

The current system isn't to blame. It's either the manager's tactics or the players making mistakes. By and large, though, the "3", weren't to blame last night.

Comparing our previous 10 matches (with a 3) to our previous 10 matches (with a four) we've lost less matches and lost a lot less goals playing with a three.

And one of those 10 (with a four) was against San Marino.

If we go back to a four then we might as well not attend Euro 2020, as we'll get pulverised. 

Edited by Taylor1996
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HighlandScot said:

Or better yet, give the job to David Moyes! I have no faith in Steve Clark, tactically inept, overly cautious, too loyal to underperforming favorites, oblivious to emerging talent like Turnbull, Gilmour, Gauld, Patterson.

you think moyes is going to give up an epl gig to come manage scotland. maybe in a few years but moyes right now is way out of our league.

Link to post
Share on other sites

i dont think the 3 at the back was the problem. both our last two games followed the same pattern, first half we were nervous and struggled to attack. second half we began to improve and got more confident. we need to be more positive from the start and press higher up the pitch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

 

Comparing our previous 10 matches (with a 3) to our previous 10 matches (with a four) we've lost less matches and lost a lot less goals playing with a three.

And one of those 10 (with a four) was against San Marino.

If we go back to a four then we might as well not attend Euro 2020, as we'll get pulverised. 

Comparing our previous 10 matches (with a 3) to our previous 10 matches (with a four) we've won less matches and scored a lot less goals playing with a three.

And four of those 10 (with a four) was against Belgium and Russia

Haven't checked, but will take a stab that is right.

 

Probably agree with the last statement but at least it would be fun.

Edited by ceudmilefailte
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its not about ditching the back 3 for me, its picking the right games to use it. There are games where it will work, against better teams away from home, like Serbia proved and away to Denmark and Austria hopefully. 

Last night it was clear before the game that a 4-2-3-1 should have been deployed. If Clarke and the coaching staff had watched the Israel game from Thursday would have seen that. Concern for me is there is no plan B until we are a goal down and in trouble. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HighlandScot said:

I agree with Taylor1996 the main problem is ball-watching and lack of high press. We should not be letting countries like Israel dictate the tempo. Israeli players were not being picked up and man-marked, and there was no high press. Without being Xavi or Iniesta they were picking holes in Scotland at will. Steve Clark needs to watch this video...

 

God, if only we could get him as manager.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Comparing our previous 10 matches (with a 3) to our previous 10 matches (with a four) we've won less matches and scored a lot less goals playing with a three.

And four of those 10 (with a four) was against Belgium and Russia

Haven't checked, but will take a stab that is right.

 

Probably agree with the last statement but at least it would be fun.

The numbers are interesting:

Previous 10 games with a 3: Won 5, drew 3, lost 2.

Scored 9, conceded 8.

Average ranking of opposition: 55.3

Previous 10 games with a 4: Won 5, lost 5

Scored 16, conceded 19.

Average ranking of opposition: 94.4

So, playing with a three, we have played better teams, on average, we've won the same amount, but we've lost less. We've scored less (you have to counter in the superior opposition with that one) and we've conceded a lot less.

We all wanted to be "hard to beat" and "hard to score against". Is this a case of "be careful what you wish for"?

If you look at it like things in the big picture, I'd say that we are making progress.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

The numbers are interesting:

Previous 10 games with a 3: Won 5, drew 3, lost 2.

Scored 9, conceded 8.

Average ranking of opposition: 55.3

Previous 10 games with a 4: Won 5, lost 5

Scored 16, conceded 19.

Average ranking of opposition: 94.4

So, playing with a three, we have played better teams, on average, we've won the same amount, but we've lost less. We've scored less (you have to counter in the superior opposition with that one) and we've conceded a lot less.

We all wanted to be "hard to beat" and "hard to score against". Is this a case of "be careful what you wish for"?

If you look at it like things in the big picture, I'd say that we are making progress.

Am assuming that's world rankings rather than European ones

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

The numbers are interesting:

Previous 10 games with a 3: Won 5, drew 3, lost 2.

Scored 9, conceded 8.

Average ranking of opposition: 55.3

Previous 10 games with a 4: Won 5, lost 5

Scored 16, conceded 19.

Average ranking of opposition: 94.4

So, playing with a three, we have played better teams, on average, we've won the same amount, but we've lost less. We've scored less (you have to counter in the superior opposition with that one) and we've conceded a lot less.

We all wanted to be "hard to beat" and "hard to score against". Is this a case of "be careful what you wish for"?

If you look at it like things in the big picture, I'd say that we are making progress.

Fair enough but now we need to progress onto the next level - developing a system that is more pro-active and attacking in must win games as the current formation isn't working in those situations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

The numbers are interesting:

Previous 10 games with a 3: Won 5, drew 3, lost 2.

Scored 9, conceded 8.

Average ranking of opposition: 55.3

Be polite so I don’t get banned, here goes...

Why lie on basic facts? We did not win 5 games did we, want to try again?

Here, I will help you, won 3, drew 5, lost 2. See how easy that was. 

Your constant need to make stuff up really is something. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Am assuming that's world rankings rather than European ones

 

Yes. 

With the 3, all the teams we played were in the top 86. With the four, we played Cyprus and Kazakhstan and San Marino 6 times. All three are outsid the top 100.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Fair enough but now we need to progress onto the next level - developing a system that is more pro-active and attacking in must win games as the current formation isn't working in those situations.

Definitely. 

Last night was disappointing, but when is the last time we played so badly, and still got a point? We've come back three times in the past two matches, it does show a certain amount of grit.

But yeah, the next step is to be more offensive and actually press higher.

We are progressing. 

Edited by Taylor1996
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


×
×
  • Create New...