We are pretty much out.... ditch the back 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

We are pretty much out.... ditch the back 3

Malcolm

Clarke said in an interview somewhere that he would use a back four in some matches, tonight should have been one of them.

Much as I would love to see us bin it altogether it is probably the only way to avoid embarrassing ourselves at the Euro's.

For Taylor when he pops up we beat them over 45 minutes tonight with a back 4 beat them 3-2 with a back four and haven't beaten them once with three at the back.

The back three didn't do anything wrong tonight.

It was McGregor and McTominay that let the lad strike it. We can blame tactics and formations and Clarke all we like. If one of these two got in the face of Peretz, he wouldn't have scored.

Whilst playing with a back three there's no reason for our midfielders to keep backing off and ball watching. 

We need to find a defensive midfielder who really excels at pressing. If Jack was fit, I don't think Peretz would've scored.

Just now, Taylor1996 said:

The back three didn't do anything wrong tonight.

It was McGregor and McTominay that let the lad strike it. We can blame tactics and formations and Clarke all we like. If one of these two got in the face of Peretz, he wouldn't have scored.

Whilst playing with a back three there's no reason for our midfielders to keep backing off and ball watching. 

We need to find a defensive midfielder who really excels at pressing. If Jack was fit, I don't think Peretz would've scored.

I don't think Jack is the answer but I agree with the rest

We are so hesitant with a back three, and concede far too much space in midfield. Teams are just lining up to ping balls into our box. When it gets there no one seems to know who to mark with the spare man.  

I’d be relieved to see Fraser and Forrest playing off a striker again. Go to a four, either drop Robertson or put Tierney in midfield alongside Jack. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Would be interesting to see how Israel have performed against other countries playing a back three compared to a back four.

It's less the back three than the midfield.

In the past two matches, we've lost at least two out of three goals as a result of lack of high pressing and ball watching.

The balance in midfield is off. We only have one anchorman. So when Jack is out, we are in trouble, even against the likes of Israel.

21 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

It's less the back three than the midfield.

In the past two matches, we've lost at least two out of three goals as a result of lack of high pressing and ball watching.

The balance in midfield is off. We only have one anchorman. So when Jack is out, we are in trouble, even against the likes of Israel.

I think you missed my point, it wasn't how we played against them it was other teams as a whole.

As I stated earlier our record against them with a back three is shocking do teams playing a back four get better results against them?

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think you missed my point, it wasn't how we played against them it was other teams as a whole.

As I stated earlier our record against them with a back three is shocking do teams playing a back four get better results against them?

Nah. I got it.

No idea, to be honest. I had a glance at their results, they usually play against teams that play with a four. So it's hard to gauge. 

We're playing three centre backs as it's our weakest position and allows us to accommodate Tierney and Robertson in the same team. We improved when we changed to two centre backs tonight but better teams would exploit our weakness in that area with the two.

The real issue is the lack of pressing (particularly in the first half of the Austria and Israel games) and lack of overlapping runners when the ball arrives to Adams/Dykes.

Clarke playing 361 is the issue, the midfield is so defensive and just let’s teams attack us.

You could almost accept being boring if it provided results, but it’s dreadful to watch, and we are out of the qualifying before the first set of fixtures are even completed.