And we think we have problems. - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

And we think we have problems.

5 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I was just about to write the same. They have quite a few decent young players coming through. Most of their players play at a half decent level these days aswell. 

An interesting stat that the RTE commentator brought up was that Luxembourg tonight had more players with Champions League experience.

(Ireland have ZERO players who've played at that level. Lux have 1 and he scored the winner).

Its safe to say that ROI wont be taking any of our players for the foreseeable.

They had a very good batch of players for about 15 years. Were either qualifying or threatening to qualify for tournaments. They were therefore an attractive prospect for somebody who isnt as patriotic as others.

Footballing wise now they are in the wilderness. Have 1 decent player who is a right back and from what ive seen no real prospects coming through. Can see them being a pot 4 team for at least a few campaigns.

There's going to be calls for a return to pragmatism i.e having a McCarthy/O'Neill defensive and direct style manager as last night's result is up there with Liechtenstein 96, EURO 2012 & the Danish playoff hammering at home in 2017. There was no coming back for the irish managers after those results. 

I really feel for Kenny as he has had no luck with injuries and covid withdrawals in the Nations League. If anyone on here has watched our games under Kenny, we've played some attractive attacking football (apart from last night) and our Nations League performances were very good in most games. 

If we drew last night it would've ended our qualification campaign anyway and Kenny would be under severe pressure but his job would still be safe provided we finish in 3rd spot but the fact we lost is a watershed moment I fear and a huge psychological blow. The players will have lost the belief in him. 

The feckin Serbs got away with a blatant penalty against us and a clear goal from Portugal last night which makes your win in Belgrade all the more impressive I must say. 

Edited by irish

39 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Its safe to say that ROI wont be taking any of our players for the foreseeable.

They had a very good batch of players for about 15 years. Were either qualifying or threatening to qualify for tournaments. They were therefore an attractive prospect for somebody who isnt as patriotic as others.

Footballing wise now they are in the wilderness. Have 1 decent player who is a right back and from what ive seen no real prospects coming through. Can see them being a pot 4 team for at least a few campaigns.

That was just payback for the Ulster plantation mo charaid 😉

6 hours ago, irish said:

That was just payback for the Ulster plantation mo charaid 😉

Do you also think that Ireland are not getting as many eligibles as before.  Must be galling to lose Grealish and Rice, Redmond also opted for England.  In the past Ireland have always seemed to have some really good players born outside the emerald isle (Houghton, McAteer, Lawrenson, McCarthy, Townsend, Holland) but it looks like thinner pickings at the moment

Phil Babb was quite damning on Sky Sports. He thought it most unfair how they dealt with the whole appointment of the job whilst other manager was in place and setting it aside for Kenny.

The thought is that you are now in a transitional period with a number of old pros past their best in the side making up numbers and trying to get the next generation into the side ASAP. The over-riding question about the next generation being are they ready and are they good enough?

Edited by Caledonian Craig

Irish fans on another forum I frequent are pointing out that Brexit could lead to them being in the wilderness for some time (until they get a better youth development structure in place themselves) because UK teams aren't allowed to sign overseas players until they are 18 now. Meaning Irish players who would be snapped by academies in England/Scotland now will have to develop under LoI teams.

Ireland have some decent young players coming through, they were a baw hair away from qualifying for the U21s tournament, and their 17s and 19s have been to tournaments of late. We too had a purple patch few years ago at that level as well, and it doesn't necessarily mean they will make the grade at the next level , but there's certainly some promising footballers coming through there.

If Kenny is the man to guide them, I don't know. Imagine if Rice, Grealish and Bamford had pledged to play for them, they might be in a different situation altogether. 

On 4/1/2021 at 12:32 PM, shaggycoo said:

Germans losing at home to North Macedonia is just as bad if not worse than the ROI from the other night.

Germany losing at hone to anyone is a shock but I would place NM well above Luxembourg in terms of calibre of player.