Holyrood Election Poll - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Holyrood Election Poll

Holyrood Election - Who Are You Voting For On The List?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will You Vote For On The List?

• SNP
    • Conservative
    • Labour
    • Greens
    • Liberal Democrat
    • Alba
    • Other - Feel Free To State

How can that nutter Alistair Mcconnachie get to call his party the Independent Green Voice! There should be a rule against misleading names. No doubt some people will vote for them thinking they are the actual Greens.

1 hour ago, Lamia said:

How can that nutter Alistair Mcconnachie get to call his party the Independent Green Voice! There should be a rule against misleading names. No doubt some people will vote for them thinking they are the actual Greens.

I had a teacher who would mark your homework on occasion with "a half for a laugh".   To be part of Alistair's growing up;  perhaps.

2 hours ago, Lamia said:

It must be a ploy to achieve just that. As far as I know Manky Jaikit hasn't previously shown any inclination towards environmentalism.  Mentalism, aye, plenty of it, but not environmentalism.

33 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

If the alba party fall flat this election, every member and supporter should join the snp, i can actually see that happening if they were to underperform 

Do you know what? I don't see that happening even if Alba don't fair well. There are enough Salmond fanboys out there to stick with it. I know Salmond won't close the party down.

11 hours ago, slasher said:

Nope, not buying it, especially on the list. Is she a tainted candidate in your view? 

I'm not sure why you draw a distinction between the list and constituencies as once elected all members have the same standing, so their characters are equally as important.

Anyway, I didn't think she was a particularly impressive member of the 2015 WM intake for the SNP and don't believe the party's effectiveness was especially diminished by her losing her seat.  Her membership of the Tories, Labour, SNP and now Alba hints at someone who doesn't have particularly strong principles. She also accepted an OBE, which is a personal choice but a strange one for a supposed Nationalist.   There's also some problems with her legal career and she was found guilty of professional misconduct

Finally as Alex Salmond's business partner, her immediate elevation to the top of the list in Central Scotland - a different region from the constituency she'd previously represented in WM, but then I suppose Neale Hanvey had been gifted MS&F - strikes me as nepotism in the extreme.

So, yes, I'd say she was extremely tainted.

15 minutes ago, aaid said:

I'm not sure why you draw a distinction between the list and constituencies as once elected all members have the same standing, so their characters are equally as important.

Anyway, I didn't think she was a particularly impressive member of the 2015 WM intake for the SNP and don't believe the party's effectiveness was especially diminished by her losing her seat.  Her membership of the Tories, Labour, SNP and now Alba hints at someone who doesn't have particularly strong principles. She also accepted an OBE, which is a personal choice but a strange one for a supposed Nationalist.   There's also some problems with her legal career and she was found guilty of professional misconduct

Finally as Alex Salmond's business partner, her immediate elevation to the top of the list in Central Scotland - a different region from the constituency she'd previously represented in WM, but then I suppose Neale Hanvey had been gifted MS&F - strikes me as nepotism in the extreme.

Compared to some on the Alba list she's as pure as the driven snow lol. I wasn't aware of the party hopping or the OBE, what was it for? 

Anyway I've still not settled on a list vote yet. I'll probably dither right up until I get in the booth 🤔

29 minutes ago, slasher said:

Compared to some on the Alba list she's as pure as the driven snow lol. I wasn't aware of the party hopping or the OBE, what was it for? 

Anyway I've still not settled on a list vote yet. I'll probably dither right up until I get in the booth 🤔

Services to the business and the Asian community.   Awarded in in the 2014 NY honours list, so even odder she'd accept it then.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Services to the business and the Asian community.   Awarded in in the 2014 NY honours list, so even odder she'd accept it then.

I hadn't been aware of this until recently - I don't pay a lot of attention to the honours list. I was as bemused by her accepting it at that time. I suspect she remains a Tory at heart.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Is Eva Comrie not top of the list for MS&F?

47 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Apparently Salmond approached that wank Jim Spence about standing for Alba. Hopefully its more made up bullshit from Spence, if not thats a massive error of judgement from Salmond. 

I’m not sure he’s MSP material, but why is he a wank?

On 4/16/2021 at 2:38 PM, TDYER63 said:

Have read this now @Orraloon and have a couple of questions from this blog for you or any other Alba supporters. 

1. Who at Westminster are they suggesting is not too bothered about independence?

2. What alternative strategic ideas are they (Alba) bringing to the table ? 

These are genuine questions, I am not questioning the validity . 

Also, Renfrewshire North and West , my constituency, how much would Alba need to win a seat ? I am fairly comfortable that SNP will win the constituency but there is no knowing if the Derek McKay fiasco will have any impact on the voting and how that will affect the list seats. 

There are some MPs who are a bit too cosy at WM.  Stuart Macdonald, who is I think the SNP's defence spokesman, is vet pro-Israel and critical of Russia - basically toes the UK establishment party line on defence matters.  i wouldn't trust him an inch and if there are any SNP MPs who appear to be "compromised", he is one.

Alba have come out with the idea of joining the EEA or whatever it's called now - a good way to neuter the argument that it will take 10 years or more to join the EU, and something I have long thought the SNP should have adopted. they're not saying they don't want to join the EU, but that there should be a subsequent Scottish EU referendum to decide which way we go.  I think that is an excellent idea as it brings on board folk who were for brexit and might not want EU membership but could live with EEA.  Given the way the EU has shafted Catalunya, I'd be fairly happy with the EEA as a compromise although I'd probably still vote EU if we got the chance.

I don't think the Mckay thing will have any effect as he's not now involved in politics.

In my area it's SNP 1/2 as we have three list seats - the only downside is that the first list candidate is someone shoehorned in under the ridiculous NEC wokeism policy.  Elsewhere I can see the benefit of voting for Alba on the list although I have reservations about some of their candidates - the lack of proper vetting is obvious.  I hope Alex S gets in.  The indy movement needs him, and being semi-detached from the SNP should help avoid the anti-Salmond brigade getting much traction.  He is somewhat tainted due to the unionist media's smear campaign, but I think he personally has the strength to overcome that.  NS must be worried though because she could be shown up as the colonial administrator that she appears to have become, terrified to take any risks at all and wrapped up in her wee bubble with her woke nutter clique. She will win the election but it will likely be something of a Pyrrhic victory for her personally.  I don't think she will still be around in 5 years time unless she is spurred on to up her game considerably. All IMHO.

9 hours ago, Alibi said:

There are some MPs who are a bit too cosy at WM.  Stuart Macdonald, who is I think the SNP's defence spokesman, is vet pro-Israel and critical of Russia - basically toes the UK establishment party line on defence matters.  i wouldn't trust him an inch and if there are any SNP MPs who appear to be "compromised", he is one.

Alba have come out with the idea of joining the EEA or whatever it's called now - a good way to neuter the argument that it will take 10 years or more to join the EU, and something I have long thought the SNP should have adopted. they're not saying they don't want to join the EU, but that there should be a subsequent Scottish EU referendum to decide which way we go.  I think that is an excellent idea as it brings on board folk who were for brexit and might not want EU membership but could live with EEA.  Given the way the EU has shafted Catalunya, I'd be fairly happy with the EEA as a compromise although I'd probably still vote EU if we got the chance.

I don't think the Mckay thing will have any effect as he's not now involved in politics.

In my area it's SNP 1/2 as we have three list seats - the only downside is that the first list candidate is someone shoehorned in under the ridiculous NEC wokeism policy.  Elsewhere I can see the benefit of voting for Alba on the list although I have reservations about some of their candidates - the lack of proper vetting is obvious.  I hope Alex S gets in.  The indy movement needs him, and being semi-detached from the SNP should help avoid the anti-Salmond brigade getting much traction.  He is somewhat tainted due to the unionist media's smear campaign, but I think he personally has the strength to overcome that.  NS must be worried though because she could be shown up as the colonial administrator that she appears to have become, terrified to take any risks at all and wrapped up in her wee bubble with her woke nutter clique. She will win the election but it will likely be something of a Pyrrhic victory for her personally.  I don't think she will still be around in 5 years time unless she is spurred on to up her game considerably. All IMHO.

Thanks for your response.

Any SNP MP at Westminster who isnt committed to independence should remember they are probably only in their job because of independence. If there is no significant effort to push for a referendum in the next year the SNP will lose a lot of support and be out on their arse, the electorate giveth and can taketh away .
I would hope MacDonald is at least against trident ? 

I agree, a referendum on the EU is the fairest way to go  but I am not sure how many voters that would win over . What is more important to those who wanted to leave the EU ? Scottish independence with only the possibility of remaining out the EU, or remaining in the Union and guaranteed to be out of the EU ? 

I dont think NS will still be leader in 5 yrs either but probably not for the exact reasons you feel. I have said elsewhere I think the concern about this woke stuff is being blown out of proportion. I do however think she will either

be unsuccessful in her push for a referendum and lose support.

or

win the right to a referendum and we will lose it

or

win the referendum and she will step down and let new blood take the country forward to work with other parties . 

I am still undecided on my list vote. Can see me finally making a decision at the polling station at this rate. 

12 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Sturgeon out campaigning with angus her pal angus robertson, they must feel he is in trouble before they have called her out so early, bonnie prince bob must be eating away at his vote share 😬

No I'd say it was far more to do with this being one of the SNP's target seats where they need to overturn a few Tory votes to take the seat.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No I'd say it was far more to do with this being one of the SNP's target seats where they need to overturn a few Tory votes to take the seat.

Aye u could be right, strange i want the snp to win that seat however at the same time don't want him to win

19 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Aye u could be right, strange i want the snp to win that seat however at the same time don't want him to win

No that should read definitely right. Throughout election campaigning history a special emphasis is put on marginal seats and Edinburgh Central is exactly that. And it could be a pivotal one too.

On 4/16/2021 at 7:29 PM, TDYER63 said:

Wtf. Abolish the Scottish Parliament party ? How can these folk look themselves in the mirror.

The Scottish Family Party sounds like The Broons 😂

The Broons + Rev I.M. Jolly = The Scottish Family Party.

1 hour ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Compared to the Tories retaining the seat, Robertson winning it would be the lesser of two evils.

15 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Sturgeon out campaigning with angus her pal angus robertson, they must feel he is in trouble before they have called her out so early, bonnie prince bob must be eating away at his vote share 😬

I suspect that she was doing a tour around the Edinburgh constituencies that the SNP are looking to win as I saw some clips of her in Edinburgh Western as well.   There was also the big COVID briefing at lunchtime so it would have made logistical sense to fit in these walkabouts when she was "in the office" so to speak.