Insomnia - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I broke my arm a couple of years ago and was in pain for over 6 months. During that time I had night after night of hardly any sleep. After weeks of dreading night time I decided to try music. The problem was most albums have fast and slow tracks and I needed something that was consistently relaxing. One night I had a brain wave and found my saviour Lana Del Rey 🥰.

I had all her albums on a continuous loop all night and although I still got very disturbed and limited sleep I got significantly more. She will never know how much she helped me. I will be eternally grateful. ❤️

4 minutes ago, Lamia said:

I broke my arm a couple of years ago and was in pain for over 6 months. During that time I had night after night of hardly any sleep. After weeks of dreading night time I decided to try music. The problem was most albums have fast and slow tracks and I needed something that was consistently relaxing. One night I had a brain wave and found my saviour Lana Del Rey 🥰.

I had all her albums on a continuous loop all night and although I still got very disturbed and limited sleep I got significantly more. She will never know how much she helped me. I will be eternally grateful. ❤️

Could have saved a few quid on Lana Del Rey albums and got McTeeko round to tell you get a fucking grip. 👍

32 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Could have saved a few quid on Lana Del Rey albums and got McTeeko round to tell you get a fucking grip. 👍

😳 It is ok. I had already bought them! 😆

22 hours ago, slasher said:

Gonnae try a 'weighted blanket' 😬 I had no idea what it was but hey ho, fingers crossed 🤞

That sound like another name for ‘suffocation’. 

Which will probably work! 😆

45 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

That sound like another name for ‘suffocation’. 

Which will probably work! 😆

Not knocking your gallows humour at all as I love it, but..... I just want everyone to know that I am becoming seriously concerned for my wifes general health in relation to this. Its the only reason I posted on the matter. 

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Not knocking your gallows humour at all as I love it, but..... I just want everyone to know that I am becoming seriously concerned for my wifes general health in relation to this. Its the only reason I posted on the matter. 

I've suffered in the past. Listening to the radio works for me. Preferably a talk station like 5 Live or Talksport on low volume helps me drift off. 

Over the counter Nytol worked as well but made me feel like crap the next day. 

Easier said than done, but half the battle is not to get too stressed or anxious prior to bedtime. 

If she gets a half decent sleep soon, repeat the same pre bed routine for a while so she does it without thinking.

It's a horrible thing to suffer, but it will get better. 👍

I had insomnia for years, it caused loads of problems.

Eventually cured it by a combination of healthy eating, more exercise, setting and sticking to a routine sleepwise etc. Stopped drinking alcohol etc.

Took huge fundenmental changes in lifestyle to do it.

18 hours ago, slasher said:

Aw, sorry 😕

I don;t have insomnia, but I have chronic tinnitus in both ears which means I can't fall asleep if there is silence.

The things that helps me get to sleep is podcasts.  put them on when I go to bed, and set a 20 minutes timer on them. It  very rare that I am still awake when they stop playing after 20 minutes. 

I've read elsewhere that background noise can help for insomnia as well.

On 4/2/2021 at 10:06 PM, slasher said:

If it's in any way related to acid reflux (it's the prime reason when I get insomnia) then a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda stirred into a half half glass of water. Sipped. Will do the trick.

5 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

If it's in any way related to acid reflux (it's the prime reason when I get insomnia) then a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda stirred into a half half glass of water. Sipped. Will do the trick.

I've no idea what the issue is m8. She can fall asleep nae problem but it doesn't last.... 15 minutes to an hour at most 🙅‍♂️

How about one of these things that supposedly attune your brainwaves to a lower frequency - alpha I think they call it.  You then fall asleep cos we're normally in a waking state where our brain waves are at the beta frequency.

Or hypnotism, stuff like that?  If I was desperate enough I'd be dancing naked in the kirkyard at midnight if I thought it'd help.

31 minutes ago, slasher said:

I've no idea what the issue is m8. She can fall asleep nae problem but it doesn't last.... 15 minutes to an hour at most 🙅‍♂️

Does she complain about stomach acid issues? If so, try the bicarbonate of soda thing. It will help. Guaranteed.  

I hope it is the issue.

Acid reflux might sound like nothing, but it can severely affect a person's sleep and lead to health deportation. 

If not, self hypnosis can help. I can could recommend you a book on the subject or send you the ebook.

Edited by Taylor1996

29 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Does she complain about stomach acid issues? If so, try the bicarbonate of soda thing. It will help. Guaranteed.  

I hope it is the issue.

Acid reflux might sound like nothing, but it can severely affect a person's sleep and lead to health deportation. 

If not, self hypnosis can help. I can could recommend you a book on the subject or send you the ebook.

Whit? Hypnotise yirsel? I'm well up for hypnotising Mrs Slasher intae stuff but hypnotising herself? Cannae see that happening but I'll try anything..... I think 🤔

57 minutes ago, slasher said:

That's called sleep-maintenance insomnia, and it's more prevalent in "middle-aged" women.

I'd google it and see what tips and trickes there are to mitigate it, my problem was getting to sleep so a different thing all together.

1 minute ago, slasher said:

Whit? Hypnotise yirsel? I'm well up for hypnotising Mrs Slasher intae stuff but hypnotising herself? Cannae see that happening but I'll try anything..... I think 🤔

lol

It's definitely a thing. It just pertains to deep breathing and using your mind to picture an image or a scene until you're in a state of deep relaxation.

People use it for insomnia, to stave off addictions, cravings, etc.

It definitely works.

3 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

lol

It's definitely a thing. It just pertains to deep breathing and using your mind to picture an image or a scene until you're in a state of deep relaxation.

People use it for insomnia, to stave off addictions, cravings, etc.

It definitely works.

As long as you play 3 at the back.

16 minutes ago, phart said:

That's called sleep-maintenance insomnia, and it's more prevalent in "middle-aged" women.

I'd google it and see what tips and trickes there are to mitigate it, my problem was getting to sleep so a different thing all together.

I'll have a look, cheers 👍

Ive had problems in the past but I seem to be ok now. I don’t think there was one thing in particular that fixed it, but there is a whole list of things that stop me sleeping well, any of them will cause me to have a disturbed night.

Booze - I never sleep well with it. 
Dehydration - you can be dehydrated without feeling the effect of it. Making sure I get several pints of water through the day on top of the tea I drink really helps me sleep properly

Mental Health - had problems with depression and anxiety over many years, getting on top of this helps. 
Blue light - laptops, iPads and phones have more blue light in their normal displays, as it makes them seem brighter to us. There’s sound scientific research that shows too much blue light triggers physical changes making it more difficult to sleep. Some devices have night settings that change this, better just not to use them in the hour or two before bed.

Routine - regular time to go to bed and not lying in bed in the morning, even (or particularly) if you haven’t slept well.

Having a book on the go that isn’t too much of a heavy read helps me

Making the bed and changing the sheets every week helps. Some people find ironing the pillow cases helps them too.

of all of these, it’s the hydration one that I think affects me most. Makes sense as your body lowers temperature slightly when you sleep and hydration is very important for temperature regulation.

Edited by biffer

On 3/29/2021 at 5:06 PM, daviebee said:

I got this book Steelmen... a couple of chapters of that and I'm out like a fkin light.

Nah, horrible problem to have.  I heard about this one a few years back.  Apparently it bores you to sleep - https://www.healyourlife.com/try-this-insomnia-exercise-that-really-works

Good luck. 👍

Meant to say, that really works for me! Thanks. 👍

1 hour ago, biffer said:

Ive had problems in the past but I seem to be ok now. I don’t think there was one thing in particular that fixed it, but there is a whole list of things that stop me sleeping well, any of them will cause me to have a disturbed night.

Booze - I never sleep well with it. 
Dehydration - you can be dehydrated without feeling the effect of it. Making sure I get several pints of water through the day on top of the tea I drink really helps me sleep properly

Mental Health - had problems with depression and anxiety over many years, getting on top of this helps. 
Blue light - laptops, iPads and phones have more blue light in their normal displays, as it makes them seem brighter to us. There’s sound scientific research that shows too much blue light triggers physical changes making it more difficult to sleep. Some devices have night settings that change this, better just not to use them in the hour or two before bed.

Routine - regular time to go to bed and not lying in bed in the morning, even (or particularly) if you haven’t slept well.

Having a book on the go that isn’t too much of a heavy read helps me

Making the bed and changing the sheets every week helps. Some people find ironing the pillow cases helps them too.

of all of these, it’s the hydration one that I think affects me most. Makes sense as your body lowers temperature slightly when you sleep and hydration is very important for temperature regulation.

Thats really interesting about the dehydration as I know I do not rehydrate enough, and your body loses water during the menopause. I will try to drink a bit more liquid in case it helps. 

Slasher, I know you said Mrs Slasher had the menopause test and it was negative but in the time leading up to it women’s bodies can change so dehydration may be an issue she isnt aware of. Its an easy one to try if she doesnt take enough liquid.