Insomnia - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I am currently sitting up having a few vinos hoping to find Mrs Slasher has crashed out. She suffers terribly from insomnia and I'm at a loss as to what else we can try. This has been going on for years and a couple of years ago we got to the stage of sleeping pills which now do fuck all. 

There must be a way to fix this surely. Anyone any ideas. There's not much we haven't tried. 😔

Mrs Slasher has my utmost sympathy, I have suffered insomnia for years too, its not till someone experiences it that they realise how debilitating it can be. 

Some of the supposed solutions make things worse before they get better,  so people dont always try them or stick to them. For example going to bed and getting up at the same time every day is supposed to put your body into a regular rhythm and for sleep to come naturally, but when you are totally knackered by the weekend it is too tempting to lie in bed for an extra couple of hours than get up at 6.30 am. 

People also use alcohol to help get them off, but you are told to chuck it as it makes your sleeping worse. Like sleeping tablets, tell someone who cant sleep to stop taking the one thing that helps them drop off. 
I would definitely chuck the tablets if possible, they serve no purpose in the long run and Mrs Slasher is too young to be taking them long term. 

Does she lead a very busy life and or on computer/social media a lot ? Her brain may just be too cluttered and stopping her drop off. Or does she suffer from some sort of  chronic pain that disturbs her sleep ? ( I dont mean you 🙂)  

Has she tried meditation? I find Headspace very good, but you really need to be able to focus on it, its not for everyone.  I was quite sceptical but found it was very relaxing. I have a membership but I think you can get free introductory sessions if you have Amazon Prime. 
If she watches TV then goes straight to bed she should maybe try sitting for 1/2 hr rather than go straight to bed. My mum suffered very badly from insomnia and that helped her. 

I remember you saying you were doing yoga during lockdown so assume she is physically active to a degree ? Again, exercise is supposed to help and I believe it does. 

I doubt there is anything here that you haven’t already tried , anyone who suffers from insomnia will have scoured every website looking for the cure . Its a bit of a vicious circle as worrying about not being able to sleep then becomes part of the problem. 

Good luck . 

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Mrs Slasher has my utmost sympathy, I have suffered insomnia for years too, its not till someone experiences it that they realise how debilitating it can be. 

Some of the supposed solutions make things worse before they get better,  so people dont always try them or stick to them. For example going to bed and getting up at the same time every day is supposed to put your body into a regular rhythm and for sleep to come naturally, but when you are totally knackered by the weekend it is too tempting to lie in bed for an extra couple of hours than get up at 6.30 am. 

People also use alcohol to help get them off, but you are told to chuck it as it makes your sleeping worse. Like sleeping tablets, tell someone who cant sleep to stop taking the one thing that helps them drop off. 
I would definitely chuck the tablets if possible, they serve no purpose in the long run and Mrs Slasher is too young to be taking them long term. 

Does she lead a very busy life and or on computer/social media a lot ? Her brain may just be too cluttered and stopping her drop off. Or does she suffer from some sort of  chronic pain that disturbs her sleep ? ( I dont mean you 🙂)  

Has she tried meditation? I find Headspace very good, but you really need to be able to focus on it, its not for everyone.  I was quite sceptical but found it was very relaxing. I have a membership but I think you can get free introductory sessions if you have Amazon Prime. 
If she watches TV then goes straight to bed she should maybe try sitting for 1/2 hr rather than go straight to bed. My mum suffered very badly from insomnia and that helped her. 

I remember you saying you were doing yoga during lockdown so assume she is physically active to a degree ? Again, exercise is supposed to help and I believe it does. 

I doubt there is anything here that you haven’t already tried , anyone who suffers from insomnia will have scoured every website looking for the cure . Its a bit of a vicious circle as worrying about not being able to sleep then becomes part of the problem. 

Good luck . 

Thanks for the detailed reply Tidy. I honestly don't know or can't pinpoint a reason for this. There's no chronic pain or out of the ordinary stress. We've tried all sorts, from whale noises, music to hypnotherapy etc, etc. I've told her to have a look at Headspace, I think it's widely used at her workplace 👍

Just now, slasher said:

Thanks for the detailed reply Tidy. I honestly don't know or can't pinpoint a reason for this. There's no chronic pain or out of the ordinary stress. We've tried all sorts, from whale noises, music to hypnotherapy etc, etc. I've told her to have a look at Headspace, I think it's widely used at her workplace 👍

CBD Oil ? 

20 minutes ago, slasher said:

👍

I hope she gets it sorted as it really drains you at times. Let us know if anything works.  

17 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

👍

I hope she gets it sorted as it really drains you at times. Let us know if anything works.  

Will do. At the point of trying anything as I can really see it having an effect now. 

Sorry to hear that Slasher and Tidy.

I struggle with sleep as well and its a real pain in the arse. I've tried a few things - no phones/laptops/TV watching in the bedroom ; fasting ; no caffeine or juice after 6pm etc ; sleeping pills and nothing has really worked. The pills worked to an extent or in small doses and not too often, but the first 2 hours of the next day are taxing, yawning and feel like a zombie. 

I will find a way of falling asleep usually, but I wake up every 3-4 hours - I tried a sleep apnea review thing but was told I didn't have it, but maybe should try again?

Anyone who struggles with sleep has my sympathy has a huge and vital part of our life and its no fun at all to be tossing and turning, it affects everything from your mental health to be being able to do your job, or enjoy life.

My main issue is I cannot shut off my brain. And its not worry, or even anything fun or stimulating racking my mind ; its just random, mundane shite that no one should be giving extra thoughts too.

One thing I found that worked was edible CDB/THC, half a 50mg gummy will help me relax and drift away yet I cannot do that legally in Scotland or do I want to rely on that or getting in to that routine daily.

20 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Sorry to hear that Slasher and Tidy.

I struggle with sleep as well and its a real pain in the arse. I've tried a few things - no phones/laptops/TV watching in the bedroom ; fasting ; no caffeine or juice after 6pm etc ; sleeping pills and nothing has really worked. The pills worked to an extent or in small doses and not too often, but the first 2 hours of the next day are taxing, yawning and feel like a zombie. 

I will find a way of falling asleep usually, but I wake up every 3-4 hours - I tried a sleep apnea review thing but was told I didn't have it, but maybe should try again?

Anyone who struggles with sleep has my sympathy has a huge and vital part of our life and its no fun at all to be tossing and turning, it affects everything from your mental health to be being able to do your job, or enjoy life.

My main issue is I cannot shut off my brain. And its not worry, or even anything fun or stimulating racking my mind ; its just random, mundane shite that no one should be giving extra thoughts too.

One thing I found that worked was edible CDB/THC, half a 50mg gummy will help me relax and drift away yet I cannot do that legally in Scotland or do I want to rely on that or getting in to that routine daily.

I can identify and agree with all of this. You have my sympathy. I only tried tablets once, after my mum died and my sleeping was even worse. Like you, they made me feel really groggy next day. 

But normally the things that keep me awake are utter nonsense. There are people out there with genuine worries and concerns and here is me struggling to sleep cause I cant remember the name of the neighbours cat that got lost 5 years ago. I lie there wishing I could get a big eraser and rub out everything in my mind. 

And when you cant sleep you are more aware of needing the toilet. I am up and down about 3 or 4 times a night to release about a thimble of pee, if I was sleeping I wouldn’t even be aware of it as my bladder could easily cope. 

I hope you find something that works as there must be long term implications on people’s health. 

16 hours ago, slasher said:

Thanks guys but apparently you can't take CBD with Thyroxine so that's a non runner. Really difficult problem this 🤔

Has she tried valerian oil ? I dont know if its compatible with Thyroxine but it does help some people.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/valerian-root

Also, if you dont mind me asking, what age is your wife ? If she is anywhere near the menopause, and women in their 40’s can fall into this category, her body may changing and that does have an affect on sleep. You dont need to be having obvious symptoms like night sweats.
It might be worth looking at some tablets , you get loads of stuff in Holland and Barrett. I wouldnt try too many new things all at the one time though because, if something does work,  she wont know what it is. Maybe start with the valerian oil if she can take it as that would have a more immediate effect.  

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Has she tried valerian oil ? I dont know if its compatible with Thyroxine but it does help some people.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/valerian-root

Also, if you dont mind me asking, what age is your wife ? If she is anywhere near the menopause, and women in their 40’s can fall into this category, her body may changing and that does have an affect on sleep. You dont need to be having obvious symptoms like night sweats.
It might be worth looking at some tablets , you get loads of stuff in Holland and Barrett. I wouldnt try too many new things all at the one time though because, if something does work,  she wont know what it is. Maybe start with the valerian oil if she can take it as that would have a more immediate effect.  

It's no the big M, she's been tested and it was clear. I'll tell her to have a look at valerian oil tho 👍

5 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

melatonin might help?

I’ve seen the eye masks with the ability to play music via Bluetooth advertised that look pretty cool. 

I tried that gear recently. Brutal side effects of restless leg syndrome. 

6 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

melatonin might help?

I’ve seen the eye masks with the ability to play music via Bluetooth advertised that look pretty cool. 

That's a new yin on me. We'll have a look, cheers 👍

14 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

That a horrible side effect from what I’ve seen and heard. 

Surprised Melatonin would cause it though since it’s supposed to be “natural” 

I don’t suffer from a lack of sleep but She does. She bought a pack of Melanonin and She’s forever trying to pump all sorts of pish vitamin pills into me. I gave in and bashed one of these down a few weeks ago before bed. Absolutely brutal restless legs. I could not relax for hours. I have had the same thing before from allergy pills.