Stephen O'Donnell - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Stephen O'Donnell

slasher

Slasher - good subject for a thread.

Danny McGrain he isn't, but Stephen O'Donnell is solid and dependable - Steve Clarke's worked with him since 2017, so he knows that first hand.

The alternatives attempted since he came into the team (Tierney and Palmer) haven't been an improvement. There's the story.

15 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Danny McGrain he isn't, but Stephen O'Donnell is solid and dependable - Steve Clarke's worked with him since 2017, so he knows that first hand.

The alternatives attempted since he came into the team (Tierney and Palmer) haven't been an improvement. There's the story.

TY Barney. I'm not a fan of players playing out of position just to shoehorn some better players in, I'm not in favour. 👍

6 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

And now has an assist to his name. 

Spot on slasher.

He is doing just fine. If we consider fans are probably judging (unfairly) against those on the other flank he is doing a manful job. The other night for example he did what Robertson never did by beating a man and getting into the penalty area to win a corner when we badly needed forward momentum in the first half. He had a Bayern Munich star to contend with too and did it. Were any of their goals his fault? No but fans that have an axe to grind will swear blind that they were. And whatsmore his cross from a set piece got us our first equaliser. 

It is bizarre. O'Donnell has almost been a constant since the start of Clarke's revival yet still he gets no credit. Like I have said before fans love scapegoats to hound out of the team and O'Donnell is that scapegoat at present.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

The guy will never be a Cafu but gives 100 per cent every time he pulls on the Dark Blue . His decision making can be a bit suspect at times but other than that hes been really good . He is making the right wing back position his own . Certainly rather Odonnell than Palmer 

I think Odonnell has been a solid but limited performer. Hr fully deserves his place in the team however I fully expect there to be challengers to his position over the next year. 

I think the main thing he has to work on is his delivery. He consistantly hits the first man.

Rwb is defo one of the weakest areas of the team however thats where we are at the moment and Odonnell deserves to keep playing until somebody better establishes themselves.

My main issue at rwb is Clarke not bringing in somebody younger to be back up which would allow Clarke to have a proper look at them. I think Hickey should have been in the squad instead of Taylor for that reason.

He actually plays quite well even if he is fairly limited. Tbh he probably plays better than robbo as a wing back. Robbo is much mure suited to full back where he can run on to the ball. 

i would be tempted to throw in Fraser at RWB to inject more pace and attacking threat at we are too defensive. 

15 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

Well said Slasher, the guy has never let us down. 

He’s just a Motherwell player though eh, he’ll never be good enough in some people’s eyes. 

He will also never be good enough for even a decent SPL side.

He has done fine but Patterson is a vastly superior player & itll boost the National side when he gets his first call up. 

3 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

He has done fine but Patterson is a vastly superior player & itll boost the National side when he gets his first call up. 

Stephen O'Donnell's been good enough for three decent SPL sides in his career so far, but I guess that doesn't fit with your agenda.

17 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Patterson has played 12 games for Rangers, bit early to say he’s vastly superior than anyone in the squad 

SOD is a good lad, and has never let us down, IMO. I would pick him ahead of Palmer every single time.

He is fairly limited as a player, but his work race, ball distribution is usually very good.

I really hope him and Considine go to the Euros! A brilliant story for both, and shows you what hard work, commitment and dedication can do for you.

We all really need to stop with these unnecessary caveats of "but he's not the best" or "but he's limited" etc. It's an absurdly negative thing to say. I sincerely hope he doesn't come on this forum.

You could add a caveat for every player in our team if you really wanted to stick the boot in for no reason. E.g "McGinn has played well but he's no Messi."

I'll say it again, O'Donnell hasn't had a bad game for us in the 2 years. He is well deserving of a starting position and I'd be more than happy if he started every game at the Euros. No disrespect to Motherwell, but he should be playing at a higher level, and is for Scotland.

22 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

We all really need to stop with these unnecessary caveats of "but he's not the best" or "but he's limited" etc. It's an absurdly negative thing to say. I sincerely hope he doesn't come on this forum.

You could add a caveat for every player in our team if you really wanted to stick the boot in for no reason. E.g "McGinn has played well but he's no Messi."

I'll say it again, O'Donnell hasn't had a bad game for us in the 2 years. He is well deserving of a starting position and I'd be more than happy if he started every game at the Euros. No disrespect to Motherwell, but he should be playing at a higher level, and is for Scotland.

That’s a good post but you’re no Chripper 

53 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

That’s a good post but you’re no Chripper 

Haha Well I'm certainly no saint when it comes to criticising players. But I do only generally do that when they've had a bad game or made mistakes. (See my general displeasure of Callum McGregor)

If/when O'Donnell plays poorly, I'll happily join in the criticism. But there is absolutely zero justification for it right now. And calls for him to be replaced with teenagers with virtually no experience are insane.

He's nae bad and as said before Clarke obviously know him more than pretty much any other player in the squad so knows his strengths and weaknesses very well.

Frustrating for me on Thursday is due to the quality on left he got loads of space to work with but time and again his cross would just hit the first man and go out for corner or throw in. Needs to be getting crosses that get through to likes of Dykes/Adams more when in final third.

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Due to a family member playing in the same team/age group as Patterson, I suspect I've proably seem him play more than most. He is a fantastic young player, but O'Donnell has done everything asked of him, and probably more that most were expecting. It's a nice issue to have, and one we didint have 6 months ago.

16 hours ago, slasher said:

Seems to be getting a fair bit of shade cast his way. If someone can point out what he's done wrong in dark blue I'll listen 🤔

i think he comes under a bit more scrutiny because he plays for motherwell and lets face it he will probably never play higher than the spl(non old firm clubs). we have such talent at left back that expectations are we should have a high achiever at right back. personally i dont mind the guy, i think he has played well especially under clarke. he does come across as limited at times but hes certainly done enough things right to keep his place in the side for most matches. 

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Stephen O'Donnell's been good enough for three decent SPL sides in his career so far, but I guess that doesn't fit with your agenda.

3 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

There’s a reason even clubs like Aberdeen, Hibs & Hearts have never signed him even when he’s been available on a free - hence why he plays for a team struggling near the bottom. 

Theres no agenda, he’s done well. He’s very average and a young up and coming right back will take his place very soon - that’s the reality 

3 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Partick Thistle, Kilmarnock and Motherwell are or have been decent SPL sides when O'Donnell played for them, that's pushing it a bit. He's out of contract at the end of the season I think, lets see were he goes next.

Problem with O'Donnell is he creates next to nothing and he is part of the reason we can't break teams down,that and our strikers being pish. Of course you could add the "he hasn't let us down" comment to Dykes as well.

If a similar goal to Hanleys had been scored against us, Marshall and Hanley would be getting crucified it was hardly an assist. 

When O'Donnell starts making defence splitting passes from the acres of space he is allowed by the opposition I will applaud him.

Woops just noticed he had an assist for Dykes goal against Slovakia, perhaps mediocrity is the way forward 

Edited by ceudmilefailte