Israel V Scotland - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Israel V Scotland

Caledonian Craig

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

Marshall has had some howlers for Derby lately and that’s back to back howlers for us. 

F*ck the pride let’s beg Allan McGregor back. If we had him, even playing like this, we would have 2 more or possibly 4 more points now. 

Fuck all to do with pride. McGregor has retired and is not for coming back as far as we all know.

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Argentina 78 qualifying springs to mind. But I agree a bad start makes it all the more difficult. 

Need to bag a few v the Faroes and set us up for the autumn run in.

Doesn’t matter if we do, it’s over already.

Way better second half. Shows how much I know in that I'd have subbed Fraser off at half time! Him and Adams were good second half as outlets.

Could've won, could've lost. While back 3 shouldn't just be ditched as that will be needed during the euros it is limited on occasions against beatable opposition as tonight showed so Clarke needs to be more flexible at times.

Pleased for Adams, just feel to really get the best from him he needs Dykes up alongside him in the long term but can't see two out and out strikers being used in the euros. Needs to be looked at for the home games for rest of the world cup campaign though as they're pretty much all must win now.

O.k point. Israel haven't won either of their first two home games so they're pretty much out of contention as they don't win away much but hopefully they can beat Austria at home like they did last year.

Beat faroes and Denmark beat Austria and that's 2nd place with pretty much a quarter of the group gone. I know people are demanding 1st but think we have to be realistic, Denmark are the best team in this group by a margin so better to really secure 2nd. At the very worst that should give another decent group for the euros with better seeding.

One annoyance remains for me. Some o.k one touch passing and overlap from players which gets them in decent crossing positions with 2-3 in the box and the crossing is constantly shocking, just low crosses that are easily kicked out by first defender, were a couple in last 10 minutes. Really frustrating.

Edited by Tartan Chris

I can't think of many positives tbh. O'Donnell did well, Tierney & Hanley were OK but we needed much, much more from others. There's still a lot of room in this squad for someone hitting a purple patch imo

1 minute ago, Tartan Chris said:

Way better second half. Shows how much I know in that I'd have subbed Fraser off at half time! Him and Adams were good second half as outlets second half.

Could've won, could've lost. While back 3 shouldn't just be ditched as that will be needed during the euros it is limited on occasions against beatable opposition as tonight showed so Clarke needs to be more flexible at times.

Pleased for Adams, just feel to really get the best from him he needs Dykes up alongside him in the long term but can't see two out and out strikers being used in the euros. Needs to be looked at for the home games for rest of the world cup campaign though as they're pretty much all must win now.

O.k point. Israel haven't won either of their first two home games so they're pretty much out of contention as they don't win away much but hopefully they can beat Austria at home like they did last year.

Beat faroes and Denmark beat Austria and that's 2nd place with pretty much a quarter of the group gone. I know people are demanding 1st but think we have to be realistic, Denmark are the best team in this group by a margin so better to really secure 2nd. At the very worst that should give another decent group for the euros with better seeding.

I agree with some of what you said, the problem and its a biggie is we have only begun, had our home game against the 2nd seeds, our harder games are ahead of us, we needed to put these points in the bag so the inevitable draws that come later can be cushioned, sadly I think we need to beat Austria away and beat the Danes at home, along with no more silly dropped points - the heads will be down, with no signs of real improvement, I am feeling deflated right now.

For those demanding Allan McGregor back let’s remember he had his own howler for Rangers in europa game a few weeks back. There’s too many outfield players not performing or good enough and that’s the bigger problem

13 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Lost count of the amount of times we had the ball in the final third and 5 seconds later it’s back with Marshall! 

If Clarke claims it’s a good point then he needs reminded we have Denmark home & away and Austria away, probably 0 points from 9 available there so we basically are out of even play off contention now. 

Think Denmark will be already qualified by final game so hopefully work in favour.

I just see it as getting ahead of Austria now. They also have to play Denmark twice and got to go to Israel so they'll be dropping plenty more points aswell.

We don’t even look like we want to win. As soon as we scored we took our foot off the gas. We actually started the 2nd half very well but seemed happy for it to be a draw. 

where is the ambition! 

is still don’t know what our game plan is counter attack, possession game, defensive??? We need an identity and game plan moving forward, let’s start introducing some young players in to the squad for the bench fillers and start to look to the future. 
be progressive!!

1 minute ago, romanticscot said:

I agree with some of what you said, the problem and its a biggie is we have only begun, had our home game against the 2nd seeds, our harder games are ahead of us, we needed to put these points in the bag so the inevitable draws that come later can be cushioned, sadly I think we need to beat Austria away and beat the Danes at home, along with no more silly dropped points - the heads will be down, with no signs of real improvement, I am feeling deflated right now.

Yeah for 1st...don't really see that as realistic given what I've seen from Danes so far.

Likely to get 2nd with about 18/19 points so that's still very much on imo.

Yes play offs will be very hard but would be same in normal format with a home and leg away tie v seeded team so just got to see if it can work out like last time. This team is hard to actually beat at least now so at long last got the mentality of what Wales and the Irish teams have had in last decade.

Second half was better but why the fuck did it take the twenty seven and a half games against them already to work out how play against them?   Can't see Austria dropping points there - for the 15 minutes we actually pressed them and pushed Dasa back you could see why they're so lowly ranked.

Probably need 4-5 points off the remaining games v Austria and Denmark now for a playoff.

Edited by ThistleWhistle

The inquest has to be WTF happened in that first half. We looked so disjointed, unorganised and midfield didn't look like it knew what it was doing - it was non-existent. After the change at half-time we looked much better and immediately offered more threat in attack. Sadly, we were too wasteful despite getting into good positions. 

Guest Scot1
3 minutes ago, Banna84 said:

We don’t even look like we want to win. As soon as we scored we took our foot off the gas. We actually started the 2nd half very well but seemed happy for it to be a draw. 

where is the ambition! 

is still don’t know what our game plan is counter attack, possession game, defensive??? We need an identity and game plan moving forward, let’s start introducing some young players in to the squad for the bench fillers and start to look to the future. 
be progressive!!

Our players, other than Tierney seem to lack a high football iq. They cannot operate without instruction. We also seem to have no short passing game. Israel are a mediocre team by international standards, yet they pass the ball and retain possession better than us. We cannot actually play “football”, we can kick and run

Edited by Scot1

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If any players are having to be begged to play for Scotland then they can fuck right off. They should be willing to give their right arm to play for us. FULL STOP.

An old retired player is a different story who we desperately need

I’ve honestly not been so annoyed by a Scotland performance in a long time.

Why do we continually approach games like we’re a pub team playing in the Scottish cup against a premiership team.

We have better players than Israel so why did we sit off them in the first half and let them dictate the play.

If I hadn’t seen the opposition, I’d have thought we were away to Germany or Belgium with our approach.

The 2nd half was better but got a feeling it’s too little too late as Austria won’t go to Tel Aviv and let Israel dictate the play.

We now need to beat Austria away and probably Denmark at home to have any chance of even 2nd place.

I honestly don’t understand the mentality of our approach to these types of games where we should be on the front foot from the start and taking the game to the opposition.