Israel V Scotland - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Israel V Scotland

Caledonian Craig

39 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I've heard folk suggesting Armstrong, Fraser or, from further back, Forrest to play right wing back. Clarke has never put a winger in that position - he plays bona fide full backs, so SOD will be first choice at least till Patterson and Hickey come aboard. 

perhaps he should give it a try.

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

i dont disagree with anything you said there. I was merely pointing out that expecting to beat austria home and away because we have a few players who play for top clubs is daft. not sure we are even disagreeing tbh.

Also management comes into it as well, a good manager like clarke can make the difference against the likes of serbia etc. We certainly dont have a stronger squad than serbia or austria so getting the best out of guys like dykes and o donnell is where a good manager helps.

Ah right yes I see. Apologies.

Yes management does play a big part. A manager who can use what he has to maximum effect and make things work. That can include playing to the strengths of the majority of our team. Clarke's doing that at present but we must look to create more chances and score more goals. Do that and we will improve a lot more. Clarke has shored us up somewhat at the back which has helped keep us competitive in matches for longer.

4 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I think I've said it the past 2 times we've played them (and I really don't want to say it again) but Israel are overdue a good beating by us. They got some decent results against us when we were at rock bottom, but we are on the ascendancy now and have superior players.

Their best weapon against us is their familiarity. We should be able to put 3 past them. But I doubt it. I'll take a 1-0 win and a good performance any day.

I'd love to believe you're right but the 5 games we've played against them recently all suggest that us and Israel are at the same level. 

🤣 I did actually bump into Steve Clarke at Glasgow Airport baggage reclaim on my way back from a Rangers-Hibs game a couple of seasons ago. I was about to tell him that he should pick Tavernier at right back (there was a story at that time that he was eligible) but I bottled it as I was upset that customs had just impounded a bottle of Famous Grouse which my cousin had bought for me!

2 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I'd love to believe you're right but the 5 games we've played against them recently all suggest that us and Israel are at the same level. 

No I wouldn't say they are on the same level as us. They have faired well against us because they are not a good match-up for us. They prefer to sit in and hit on the counter. They are pretty well-drilled and organised in defence and to a team like us not blessed with a cutting edge up front  and not playing against an attack-minded team then it spells problems for us. Whatever happens tomorrow I am sure we'll finish above them in the group and rankings underline that we are a level up from them generally.

7 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

the size of a players legs has no bearing on them getting up or down the park. the guy is a winger who plays in one of the most physically demanding leagues in the world. hes perfectly fine at covering long distances.

Oliver Burke should be tried in this role if we ever have a friendly fixture. It might be a disaster or he could end up one of the best in the world. He has every physical attribute required, it’s the other parts that need examined. 

Guest Scot1
43 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Oliver Burke should be tried in this role if we ever have a friendly fixture. It might be a disaster or he could end up one of the best in the world. He has every physical attribute required, it’s the other parts that need examined. 

I’d like to try Rooney there, not a St Johnstone fan so haven’t seen a lot of him. But from what I have seen he looks like a decent footballer and his physicality and aggression will be a good asset 

46 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I actually think his pace could have been really handy V Israel up front. Pace exposed Israel's defence in the Denmark match.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

44 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I genuinely think part of the reason Burke hasn't fulfilled his early promise is because of multiple managers insistence of playing him in the wrong position. I think he'd be perfect for RWB. 

Guest Scot1
22 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yeah. I was thinking that, but when you think of it, Robertson and Tierney could easily play on the wing for club or country, on in midfield.

Is it my imagination or was it 3-4-3 last night? I think it was. Having two inside forwards is one of the reasons why we were outnumbered in midfield.

I wouldn't be too bothered if it was the same XI.. with  one alteration, McGregor coming in for Armstrong. But with two up front. I hope Dyke starts, as Adams isn't a threat in the air.

I just want 3 points as it 4 from the first two games would be great. Then hopefully 7 come next week.

I’d be tempted to try Tierney as a holding/defensive midfielder in the friendlies before the Euros, I think he has the capability to play the role well. It would also allow McGinn to be pushed forward, it allows both Tierney and Robertson both on the pitch at the same time. I also think that Tierney to an extent is wasted at left/centre half. And on occasion he will be exposed against 6 3’ + centre forwards again at some point if we keep playing him there.

21 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I genuinely think part of the reason Burke hasn't fulfilled his early promise is because of multiple managers insistence of playing him in the wrong position. I think he'd be perfect for RWB. 

That is really up to club manager to try that. Assuming he plays another role for a club ( or usually a substitute this season for Sheffield United) , it unrealistic for an international manager to play a completely different role with 3 or 4 days preparation.

34 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

That is really up to club manager to try that. Assuming he plays another role for a club ( or usually a substitute this season for Sheffield United) , it unrealistic for an international manager to play a completely different role with 3 or 4 days preparation.

It worked for McTominay at RCB. It has been done dozens of times. The best example I can think of is Charlie Mulgrew. If I remember correctly, Strachan was the first one to play him in CDM, where he was brilliant. 

Playing Burke there might inspire his manager to try him there as well.

In previous matches against Israel their right wing back Dasa was causing all sorts of problems. I am wondering what or even if Clark has a plan to counter the threat. I would play Fraser wide left. With the addition of Robertson overlapping, and the occasional surges forward by Tierney, that should keep Dasa sufficiently pinned back to not cause too much damage.

2 hours ago, Scot1 said:

I’d be tempted to try Tierney as a holding/defensive midfielder in the friendlies before the Euros, I think he has the capability to play the role well. It would also allow McGinn to be pushed forward, it allows both Tierney and Robertson both on the pitch at the same time. I also think that Tierney to an extent is wasted at left/centre half. And on occasion he will be exposed against 6 3’ + centre forwards again at some point if we keep playing him there.

Some of Tierneys best assets are crossing and taking it past players into space. You couldnt do either of these in a defensive mid role.

I think LCB is perfect for him. He is a great defender, can pick out a long pass and having 2 other CBs allows him to step forward on occasion and drive past players.

I think him and Robertson have been very good when played alongside each other. Robertson isnt flashey but his little passes inside are dangerous and he covers Tierney very well. If we could find a combination even half as good as that on the right hand side we would be some team.

Guest Scot1
6 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Some of Tierneys best assets are crossing and taking it past players into space. You couldnt do either of these in a defensive mid role.

I think LCB is perfect for him. He is a great defender, can pick out a long pass and having 2 other CBs allows him to step forward on occasion and drive past players.

I think him and Robertson have been very good when played alongside each other. Robertson isnt flashey but his little passes inside are dangerous and he covers Tierney very well. If we could find a combination even half as good as that on the right hand side we would be some team.

Unless Tierney plays as a left full back or left wing back you’re going to take something away from his game. I think he could play as a holding midfielder/ defensive midfielder. I think he has the attributes and i think is clever enough to adapt quickly. I just get the feeling that he’s going to get exposed because of his lack of height at left centre back, and defensive midfield is still a bit of a problem for us.

1 hour ago, Scot1 said:

Unless Tierney plays as a left full back or left wing back you’re going to take something away from his game. I think he could play as a holding midfielder/ defensive midfielder. I think he has the attributes and i think is clever enough to adapt quickly. I just get the feeling that he’s going to get exposed because of his lack of height at left centre back, and defensive midfield is still a bit of a problem for us.

He defo has the skillset and attributes to play defensive mid. I just like him at LCB due to his defensive instincts and abilty to pass out from the back. 

I think that within a year our midfield will be mctom, gilmour with McGinn in front. Which will be one of the best midfields I can remember for Scotland.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Wrong thread I know but I've just seen Czech Rep. v Belgium and it has got me worried - they should have won. We need to start beating teams ranked above us

We beat the Czechs just a few months ago. Rode our luck a bit but a win's a win.

3 hours ago, HighlandScot said:

In previous matches against Israel their right wing back Dasa was causing all sorts of problems. I am wondering what or even if Clark has a plan to counter the threat. I would play Fraser wide left. With the addition of Robertson overlapping, and the occasional surges forward by Tierney, that should keep Dasa sufficiently pinned back to not cause too much damage.

Yes,  would hope Clarke has a plan to get the better of their playmaker. Agree Fraser should be in there and perhaps drop Dykes for this one at the expense of Adams. Would also go with McKenna and Hendry at expense of Hanley. 

Marshall

O'Donnell Hendry McKenna Tierney Robbie

McGinn McTominay Fraser

Christie Adams

Think absolute certainty that clarke will go with these 9 players

Marshall

Hendry.      Hanley.     Tierney

Odonnell.   Mctominay.  Mcgregor.   Robbo

McGinn

Then its 2 from Dykes, Adams, Christie, Fraser or Armstrong. 

I think he will go with Adams and Christie.